Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Calluses under skin from running?

477 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiederelict
carano
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have had terrible luck in getting my feet fitted to running shoes and I have only started really exercising again. I had some brooks that felt good, but when I've started my new walk/run habit, I noticed that where my foot is wider at the base of my 5th metatarsal (outside of foot), my foot was rubbing where the insole came up and met with the inside of the shoe. Now it hurts on one foot and it feels like I have some "gravel" under my skin there. It's rough skin, but feels like it formed underneath.

Ive since been fitted with some zero drop altras that I like and they insoles don't come up on the sides so I think it may alleviate the issue. They are also a lot wider than the brooks.

Is there anything I can do about this callus feeling under my skin on the side? It doesn't feel too great. I want to go for a run in my new shoes, but I am afraid to irritate this foot. Any tips for this newbie to foot torture would be appreciated.
K05
AG
Sounds like plantar warts. Had them in high school, pretty painful. I eventually dug them out with nail clippers (definitely not recommended, but it did get rid of them). I think there are some OTC topical treatments.
carano
Thanks. There is nothing to see on the surface where I thought you could see plantar warts. This feels like a bigger hard mass like a callous would feel but broken up. Does that make sense? On the outside skin looks normal.
ptothemo
AG
Amputation normally does the trick on such things.

All seriousness, good luck to you - it sounds like no fun. I had a hell of a time with my feet when I started running and particularly when I jacked mileage up, but I didn't have anything quite like you do. Lots of blisters, exterior callouses, black nails, etc. for me, but my feet seem (thankfully) to have adapted to the wear and tear other than not really having toenails anymore.
aggiederelict
Where are you located?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.