Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Need help transitioning from keto

1,282 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
carano
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I've lost about 50 lbs doing pure keto (about 20g of carbs a day) without exercise. It was grueling due to my travel schedule, etc. I have about another 25 lbs I want to lose, but I am burned out on keto and I've been down this road before. When I burn out, I go back to my normal eating and gain again.

I don't want to do that this time. I would like to transition to a CICO/low glycemic load/IF plan. The bigger reason besides burn out is that my bad cholesterol was BAD before keto. I thought the weight loss would improve it. I just had my numbers done again and while my tryglycerides were normal, my good cholesterol was low and my bad cholesterol was even HIGHER. So, I feel like I need to add some more complex carbs into my diet to see if I can get my cholesterol down.

I am thinking of doing a 4 hour eating window a day or even some alternate day fasting. I want to be a little less strict on my carbs so that if I do end up eating something that's over, I don't panic about "getting out of keto". I am thinking of eating about 40-50 g of carbs a day that include some beans/ezekiel bread for fiber. Low glycemic foods, but that have more carbs. I've also calculated my TDEE and plan at eating at a deficit WITH exercise this time. I figure that even though I am not in keto, I am still not triggering my insulin as much this way. Is this as effective with exercise added in vs. keto with no exercise?

I guess I am afraid to leave keto because it was easy to lose weight, but it just isn't sustainable for me. I want to transition into eating healthier foods as a habit so that when I can increase my calories when I get to my goal weight, I am making good choices.

Is anyone doing anything similar to my new plan with good results? I would appreciate any input.
OasisMan
AG
carano said:

I just had my numbers done again and while my tryglycerides were normal, my good cholesterol was low and my bad cholesterol was even HIGHER. So, I feel like I need to add some more complex carbs into my diet to see if I can get my cholesterol down.
that is possible

are you eating a lot of dairy? could potentially substitute dairy w/ coconut cream/oil/etc

what is a typical day diet-plan wise?

TRG tend to be inversely proportional to the "bad cholesterol" or LDL
- so if your TRG were "normal" (usually <150), it is possible that your calculated LDL was mostly pattern A (or the good LDL)
- however, usually good TRG is sub-100

LDL pattern B is the one that increases atherosclerotic disease
typical lipid profiles do not distinguish between pattern A or B --> they only provide you with LDL-c (calculated)
and actually most physicians and advanced practioners do not recognize the difference

i personally focus on TRG and HDL --> goal low TRG and high HDL
carano
OasisMan said:

carano said:

I just had my numbers done again and while my tryglycerides were normal, my good cholesterol was low and my bad cholesterol was even HIGHER. So, I feel like I need to add some more complex carbs into my diet to see if I can get my cholesterol down.
that is possible

are you eating a lot of dairy? could potentially substitute dairy w/ coconut cream/oil/etc

what is a typical day diet-plan wise?

TRG tend to be inversely proportional to the "bad cholesterol" or LDL
- so if your TRG were "normal" (usually <150), it is possible that your calculated LDL was mostly pattern A (or the good LDL)
- however, usually good TRG is sub-100

LDL pattern B is the one that increases atherosclerotic disease
typical lipid profiles do not distinguish between pattern A or B --> they only provide you with LDL-c (calculated)
and actually most physicians and advanced practioners do not recognize the difference

i personally focus on TRG and HDL --> goal low TRG and high HDL

Thank you. My last total cholesterol number broken down:

Total 339 (eek)
Trigyclerides: 126 which was low to normal
LDL: 277
HDL: 37 (just below normal)

My new diet plan (which I've already started without doing the IF) typically looks like a slice of ezekiel bread with turkey bacon and a carb control yogurt, for lunch a big salad with grilled chicken with dressing and then for dinner something like stir fry with chicken/vegetables maybe some beans thrown in.

It breaks down to about 40-50 carbs (some dressings I've been using have more sugar than when I was doing keto, but I don't go nuts). I eat about 110-120 g of protein a day and the rest of my calories are from healthy fats.

In the way of dairy, I have a small low carb yogurt and probably an ounce of cheese a day. My TDEE is about 1800 so I am eating at a 500 calorie deficit. I could EASILY eat 1300 calories a day in a 4 hour span which is why the IF would be doable for me. But of course, if I do full fast days then I assume I would have to eat my full TDEE the next day when I do eat. I'm still learning.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
wbt5845
AG
I am interested in this as well. I am within 10 lbs of my target weight and have been transitioning off keto by just falling off the wagon every now and then - which isn't constructive.
OasisMan
AG
diet seems reasonable, however, i am not a nutritionist and would defer to others in that regard

exercise can help bring up HDLs
krill oil

dont worry about total cholesterol at 330s IMO
TRGs are high-normal, so keep working on this

exercise will help all your levels
aznaggiegirl07
AG
I would try and eat most of your fats as MUFAs and PUFAs, instead of saturated fats...

limit saturated fats to less than 10% of your fat calories..

and like OasisMan says, exercise will help your lipid profile, but moreso your HDL levels...
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
This post could have literally been written by me about 6 months ago. After seeing high cholestorol on my FLP in January 2017, I've been trying to lower it through diet/exercise. I'm trying to avoid statins if possible.

I was on Keto from August 2017 to December 2017.

Keto was and is a great tool to lose weight, but with my family's history of heart disease, I needed to lower my cholesterol numbers. If I ever get up in weight again, I'll probably still use Keto to quickly get the weight off. Hopefully, I won't ever need to resort to that though.

I switched to the following macros and have seen good results.

2000 Calories
200g Carbs 40%
175g Protein 35%
56g Fat 25%

I don't have any more weight to lose (in fact, I've been trying to slowly bulk). I will say, that it is much harder for me to stay in calorie range on these macros compared to Keto. Fats definitely keep me fuller, longer.
carano
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

This post could have literally been written by me about 6 months ago. After seeing high cholestorol on my FLP in January 2017, I've been trying to lower it through diet/exercise. I'm trying to avoid statins if possible.

I was on Keto from August 2017 to December 2017.

Keto was and is a great tool to lose weight, but with my family's history of heart disease, I needed to lower my cholesterol numbers. If I ever get up in weight again, I'll probably still use Keto to quickly get the weight off. Hopefully, I won't ever need to resort to that though.

I switched to the following macros and have seen good results.

2000 Calories
200g Carbs 40%
175g Protein 35%
56g Fat 25%

I don't have any more weight to lose (in fact, I've been trying to slowly bulk). I will say, that it is much harder for me to stay in calorie range on these macros compared to Keto. Fats definitely keep me fuller, longer.

Thank you! Are your cholesterol numbers improved? How was your weight loss rate vs keto or did you just lose with keto?

Also thanks to everyone who has responded. I am reading all of them.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Yeah. The last test on that chart was done while not on Keto. They're still high but headed in the right direction. I've got another test in July, and am hopeful it has gone down.

I lost about 8 lbs off of keto at a slower rate, but I was at my goal weight so wasn't really trying to lose much more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.