Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

ACL Reconstruction

1,405 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bert harbinson
bert harbinson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had a complete tear of the right acl while skiing in February. Oddly it never really hurt (even when it happened, though I felt a pop) but the knee was very unstable and it was difficult to fully straighten the leg. Today will be day one of a long PT/rehab program. Really miss running, had to drop out of some big events, and now I expect to work hard and hope to get back to where I was before.

Would love to hear from those of you who have been through this or are involved in the treatment (either surgery or post-op recovery and PT). Searching texags, I know wangus has been through this a couple of times and he plays soccer, climbs mountains, and runs marathons. That's rather encouraging, though he's a much younger man than I.
Watched lots of videos of surgery on youtube...fascinating stuff.
wangus12
AG
It is a tough injury and definitely takes time to heal up. Be patient in your rehab and don't rush anything back it will be incredibly frustrating at times. Are you having a surgery done to replace the ligament?
bert harbinson
AG
Yes, replacement surgery yesterday. I was curious if you had a complete acl reconstruction and what type of graft you had. And yes I expect many tough days ahead, with months of slow, steady rehab.
wangus12
AG
I've done my knee in twice and have had a cadaver graft and a patellar graft (which is still in). Usually it depends on what your doctor is most comfortable with
Sorrell Booke
I've had a hamstring graft (sucks), and a patellar graft (still in).

The main advice I can give is to do your rehab. Do it. It sounds like you are older and will follow through. When I had my first one, I was 21 and thought I was invincible. I didn't really do the rehab and it was a pain for years, till I ripped it again. This time, I did the rehab and things are much better.
bert harbinson
AG
I'm 55 and have no delusions of invincibility or a quick return to higher level activity. I had an allograft because of my age and earlier return to work, and to avoid the additional trauma of an autograft, though the rehab and clearance for full activity will be longer. I appreciate the input and advice.
Aggie_95
AG
wangus12
AG
3 months from now when you wrap up what is usually the first part of the PT and they release give you a couple months on your own, remember to take it slow. Continue with the workouts and strengthening the muscles around the joint. They will probably ok you to jog, but nothing to crazy and definitely now power lateral movement or cutting. You will probably be tempted to because you'll pretty much feel back to normal. I know several people that once they finished their 3 months tried to go back to soccer immediately only to tear it again.

Any graft you use basically provides a platform on which new cells will grow. That grafted tendon will deteriorate as parts of the graft die due to necrosis and lack of circulation over those first several months post-op. This is why the PT focus is on really strengthening the muscles around the joint as to provide as much stabilization and support as possible. The body starts to replace those dead cells with new cells and grow back new, healthy tissue. Grafted tissue is never going to be 100% the same, but with proper stabilization you should be able to do everything you want.

Like you said earlier, I'm still very active and do everything that I love with no side effects or pain. The biggest issue I had was after my 2nd surgery, I was very cautious about playing soccer and wore a brace for about 2 years after the surgery. I took awhile for me to mentally settle in on a new knee.
bert harbinson
AG
Thanks wangus, that's great information. I was already told twice that at 6-8 weeks I'll feel pretty good but the graft will be at its weakest. I'm expecting 3 months to be only 1/3 of the way to full recovery, and possibly only 1/4. I get the mental thing too, not trusting the knee for a long while after clearance. I'll run with a brace for sure, maybe forever.
Sorrell Booke
I still don't fully trust the knee and its been 14 years since my last surgery. I wear the brace when snow boarding, and I will never go skiing again. I don't wear my brace when playing around with my kids, but I have felt my knee buckle when playing basketball and soccer with my son.
ImThatGuy
AG
I tore my ACL and meniscus a few years ago playing flag football at Penberthy. I was pretty miserable for the couple weeks after my surgery trying to get around campus on crutches. My advice is to take PT very seriously and don't over do it till you're ready.
bert harbinson
AG
Quick update: 9 days post-op, today will be the 6th PT appt. The exercises hurt but I seem to be progressing well, they let me stop using crutches last week. Saw the Doc yesterday and he said I no longer need the brace. I realize the early exercises are baby steps in a very long recovery and I'll patiently follow the prescribed therapy. Thanks again guys!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.