Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

All this Fasting Talk... This Guy Fasted for 380 Days

2,828 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by irish pete ag06
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.businessinsider.com/angus-barbieri-382-days-without-food-scotsman-fasting-starvation-obesity-2016-10

Link to pubmed article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/

This isn't BS. Extremely obese man fasted for over 1 year while maintaining electrolytes and some micronutrients. Had a BM every 40-50 days.

Fasting and carb cutting are really starting to turn nutrition on it's head a little bit.
bigtruckguy3500
Yeah, seems interesting. While I'm a proponent of fasting, I think anything more than 5-7 days (depending on your baseline health and diet) is dangerous to do if you don't know what you're doing.
irish pete ag06
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Yeah, seems interesting. While I'm a proponent of fasting, I think anything more than 5-7 days (depending on your baseline health and diet) is dangerous to do if you don't know what you're doing.

I absolutely agree. It's just strange how backwards is used to be. I used to think skipping meals was very unhealthy and bad for you.

Used to think if it said "whole grain" that it was good for you.

Food pyramid says we should eat 5-7 grain servings a day. Totally not necessary.

Interesting times these day.
bigtruckguy3500
Yeah, the more you break down the recommendations, the more you'll typically find the hands of various industries. Food companies make more money when we eat more food. The milk industry would be hurting if every kid didn't have a carton of milk on their lunch tray. Etc.

wbt5845
AG
My wife said some of the surgeons she works with have started doing 3-5 day fasts.

She and all the other nurses think it's weird because it violates everything they learned in nutrition classes in college. But the results are hard to argue with.
irish pete ag06
AG
wbt5845 said:

My wife said some of the surgeons she works with have started doing 3-5 day fasts.

She and all the other nurses think it's weird because it violates everything they learned in nutrition classes in college. But the results are hard to argue with.

Makes you wonder how experts have gotten nutrition so wrong all these years.
P.U.T.U
AG
Just to think this all started with a few scientist getting paid a very small amount to say sugar wasn't bad
Pahdz
Is it that it's wrong, or that other stuff can also be right?
irish pete ag06
AG
Pahdz said:

Is it that it's wrong, or that other stuff can also be right?
I agree. Other stuff can be right also.

It just seems like the study on the downside of carbs is still in its major infancy. I can't help but think that the beginning of a demonizing of sugar and simple carbs is happening... just like fat was demonized in the late 80s and early 90s.

If you haven't read about what some of the research is point to in how keto diets can help with autoimmune disorders, cancer, etc, I suggest you google and read up a little. It's fascinating and also quite disturbing that we are just now figuring this stuff out.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Agree with both you and PUTU.

I know that I followed the "normal" 40/30/30 macros for 4 months, I hit the gym minimum of 3x per week and put everything, everything I ate into MFP. I went from 265 to about 255. Then a few years later I jumped on Keto lost 40lbs in 6 months, like it was nothing. The notional that their is only one way to fuel something as complex and variable as the human body seems ridiculous to me.
Know Your Enemy
AG
So you're telling me if you stop eating that you're going to lose weight? I'm floored.
irish pete ag06
AG
Junkhead said:

So you're telling me if you stop eating that you're going to lose weight? I'm floored.
There's more to fasting that just losing weight. Lots of science seems to think your body gets a chance to catch up on some maintenance when you're not digesting food 24 hours a day.
Geriatric Punk
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

wbt5845 said:

Makes you wonder how experts have gotten nutrition so wrong all these years.
Worth revisiting:

Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
ramblin_ag02
AG
The guy also lost 276 lbs in 380 days. I have plenty of patients that are 270+ lbs overweight, and this might be a nice demonstration of exactly the amount of effort needed to get to a healthy weight. Not that I'm going to recommend this, but just to put it in perspective in terms of timeframe and "need" to eat.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
claym711
AG
I enjoy doing intra-day fasts after getting past the hunger, but it seems unsustainable to do multi-day fasts if you are working out daily. After a couple of days of fasting from dinner to dinner, while working out on those same days (5+ mile runs or 20+ mile cycling), I hit a wall and my body crashes unless I eat more.
gigemJTH12
AG
same here. I fast 16-18 hours per day but there is no way I could do multiple days and still work out.

i am sure there is a way but it doesnt seem possible to me.

I love intermittent fasting though.
bmks270
AG
Was he hungry the whole time? Did he have cravings the whole time? Or did those go away after the first few days or weeks?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I can't believe that study happened 50 years ago, and I had never heard about it until now.
irish pete ag06
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I can't believe that study happened 50 years ago, and I had never heard about it until now.
Seriously... it was like a crossroads happened in the 60s and "science" chose the wrong... maybe that's too harsh... "less effective for most people" road on understanding metabolism.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.