Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

High school / college middle distance runner ?

1,026 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiebrad94
aggiebrad94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter is a freshman 3200m / 1600m runner. She usually has about 3.5 - 4 hours between races. What are good food & drinks that she should have to speed recovery efforts?
theeyetest
My go to on long track days between events was a snickers bar and an orange Gatorade. The night before I would almost eat ALL the spaghetti I could. Not sure if that had any effect, positive or negative, but it almost became like a ritual to me, even when I ran in college. If I couldn't find an orange Gatorade or Snickers bar, I didn't run particularly well. Call me superstitious, I guess.

What times is she running in the 1 & 2 miles?
aggiebrad94
AG
She's run a 12:15 in the 2, and a 5:38 in the mile. What is giving us some encouragement right now is that there hasn't been a race with very good conditions. It's either been cold, windy, wet or 2 out of 3. We're hoping for some decent weather in the next few weeks so she can really move.

The school record in the mile is 5:20 and tha's her goal for this year. The other goal is to make regionals. We're not sure if the top 3 or 4 go from each district.
AggieOO
Shorter distances like those do not require carb loading, so eating a bunch of carbs the night before (of you aren't use to it) can risk GI issues thed following day.
wangus12
AG
Speaking of track and field, My girlfriend is a high jump coach and I was at their meet this past weekend. Their Girl's Varsity coach has an 11/12 year old daughter that has won Nationals in the 1500m. They let her run with the JV heat of the 1600m and she went 5:13, smoked every JV girl by over a minute and would have won the varsity heat by almost 15 seconds. Kid is a prodigy. The PA announcer said according to milesplit.com she had the fastest time in the country for a 6th grader.
texagbeliever
I think core strength is a good thing to work on that will help with recovery. She might already do so, but i know as a high school runner (male) the core aspect wasn't emphasized as much as it should have been.
P.U.T.U
AG
Off the top of my head Skratch Labs recovery if you want to spend the money. Or just normal electrolyte drink plus a PB&J. Teens can pretty much use anything as fuel
drewbie08
AG
wangus12 said:

Speaking of track and field, My girlfriend is a high jump coach and I was at their meet this past weekend. Their Girl's Varsity coach has an 11/12 year old daughter that has won Nationals in the 1500m. They let her run with the JV heat of the 1600m and she went 5:13, smoked every JV girl by over a minute and would have won the varsity heat by almost 15 seconds. Kid is a prodigy. The PA announcer said according to milesplit.com she had the fastest time in the country for a 6th grader.
Don't want to derail the thread, but an 11/12 year old girl went 5:13 in the 1600m?? That's incredible. Do you recall her name?

And Aggiebrad, your daughter has pretty impressive times too. I agree with others though, there really isn't much need to specifically fuel for those races at that age. Just as long as she isn't hungry and doesn't have any GI issues, she should be okay. I won't comment on the superstitious aspect of it, but I've certainly been there myself too.
aggiebrad94
AG
She PR'd in the 3200m this week at 12:10. Currently the top time in district.

#dadbrag
wangus12
AG
I don't know the daughter's name, but her mom is Carly Littlefield. Lovejoy has had some pretty successful distance teams. They are the current back to back 5A XC champs.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quick update - my daughter qualified for regionals after finishing 3rd with a PR of 11:58 in the 3200 m. The top 3 finished within a second of each other. It was a great race to watch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.