Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Eating before a race

1,140 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Phat32
AgBanker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm running the Cowtown half this weekend. What/ how much do you typically eat the day before a race and the morning of the race?
hbc07
AG
The day before: same amount but higher ratio of carbs
wangus12
AG
I'll do pasta with meatballs, a salad and some bread sticks the day before a marathon and its always worked well for me.

The morning of, I usually will have a granola bar or two at least 2 hours prior to gun time.
The Pilot
AG
Don't eat something you haven't already experimented with in training.

Personally, for a half marathon, I don't worry about carb loading. The distance isn't long enough and my normal diet already has plenty of carbs. The morning of the race, I'd take 1 serving of UCAN and then just drink water during the race.
AgBanker
Do you typically eat a normal meal the night before? Or a big lunch and smaller meal at night?
ptothemo
AG
You will get lots of good advice on here, but the best advice is to find what works well for you and stick to that. When I was just getting into it, I did about five or six weeks worth of long runs with race type preparation two days before, the day before, and the day of. Doing that allowed me to find what I liked and what worked well without the pressure of something not working well and screwing up my race day.

I eat pretty normally the day before a race and will more gradually bump up my intake for a few days leading up to it instead of some load the day before. The day of, I eat the same as every morning (RX bar and two bananas), but I just eat it about three hours before gun time instead of eat and almost immediately workout/run like normal.
Aggietaco
AG
AgBanker said:

Do you typically eat a normal meal the night before? Or a big lunch and smaller meal at night?
What have you done for all of your training runs? Do that.

I can't skip breakfast, so I just make sure I eat early enough that I don't have any digestive issues or urges to upchuck. Usually a bagel with some PB and a banana.
bigtruckguy3500
Aggietaco said:

AgBanker said:

I can't skip breakfast, so I just make sure I eat early enough that I don't have any digestive issues or urges to upchuck. Usually a bagel with some PB and a banana.
This is pretty much my go to as well. Although I have done 2 eggs as well. Carbs are great, but it's good to have some fats floating around to provide energy as the carbs start getting depleted. At least that's my view. Although I think for a half most people can probably get by without eating anything for breakfast and just having gatorade as needed.
SJEAg
AG
Nothing greasy the day before. Everything in moderation. I don't want to feel overstuffed (i.e eat 3 lbs of pasta) or create a need to go #2 any more than necessary on race day. Stay hydrated.

Race morning at least 2 hours before start...I'll eat 1-2 minibagels, maybe a little PB, a 1/2 banana, and a few gulps of gatorade. If a full and not a half I may eat more of the same or add a cereal bar. Curtail the fluid at this point because I hate the feeling of having to pee while I run, even if it's not an emergency (usually drinking during the race does not cause a problem for me, just before).

mrsbeer05
AG
Night before pasta (whatever sounds good) and the bread that comes with the takeout order. Day of 2 scoops UCAN and munch on a bagel on the way to the race. I also make a "gel" with 1 scoop UCAN that I take about mile 9.

aggiect
AG
Ran the Austin half on Sunday. I had a double double animal style from in and out for lunch the day before and a big fajita burrito smothered in queso with lots of chips and hot sauce for dinner. No problems!

My point being you'll probably be just fine no matter what you chose.
Potcake
AG
What I eat the day before has never been as important as the race morning "cleansings", preferably three.
Swarely
Beer and nachos the night before.

Handful of trail mix the morning of.
Seven Costanza
AG
Aggietaco said:

AgBanker said:

I agree with this. A few years ago I trained for a half marathon with no fluid intake during my runs. During the race itself, though, I came across a Powerade table and decided to take a couple of sips. Bad idea. Wound up having cramps for about the next half mile.
P.U.T.U
AG
Wrote this a few years ago, few things I would change but it is a good starting point. Halfs suck since for me it was close to 10k pace and embracing the suck. Error on the side of too little.

Race day nutrition
Ken Adams
AG
I saw you wrote about the First Endurance supplements. Have you still been using those or end up switching over to a "cheaper" brand you thought about experimenting with?

Also, great write up!
P.U.T.U
AG
I never raced with the malto/fructose mixture, I stopped doing triathlon and never did a long distance race to test it. Heck of a lot cheaper, if you have the time to play around it is a lot more cost effective but if not the First Endurance Pro stuff is dang good. Tailwind is another that has seemed to gain popularity.
Rudyjax
AG
Eating my banana with cream cheese now. Grabbing a banana for 1 Hour prior. Gotta get the coffee tho to create a good poo tho.
Phat32
AG
Do what you do for your training runs. If your runs have been at 6am like mine with no food, then you should have no food.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.