Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Austin Marathon

1,704 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by coop-aero-06
Rosie11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone running this weekend?
It'll be my first full and I'm not too excited about the rain in the forecast. Who else is sharing in the misery?
bert harbinson
AG
Obligatory Ruiz joke:
Just wait out the rain at Starbucks for a couple of hours, then jump back onto the course and run to the finish line.

Seriously, good luck!
Aggietaco
AG
Wife and a friend are running the half so I'll be spectating with the riblet provided the weather isn't too bad. Haven't figured out the best spot to watch with the new course, but will likely be at 1st and Nueces.
AggieOO
Lmk where you end up.
TxAgClif00
AG
First full for the wife and I. Not sure how I got talked into this. Anyone have any tips for the first half since it's pretty much the same as before? Or at least that's my understanding.
Swarely
Running the half. Will be rocking my come and take it shorts.
Rosie11
AG
The Austin Marathon facebook page posted a breakdown and race strategy for the new course. Looks like all the wisdom says go +30sec/mile slower than pace for the first 18mile until you cross 35. East of 35 put the hammer down and make up time. Keeping in mind there's a brutal hill at mile 26 on 11th right before the finish.

Gonna be tough to hit target times I'm guessing, especially us first timers. Weather looks to be raining and muggy.

Facebook Video

Article as well
stuckinaustinAG
AG
I am doing the full but had an achilles injury right in the middle of training and took 3 weeks off. My last long run was not my best and did 17. Will be my second Austin and afraid I will be limping in just under 5 hours. My pace is 10:30 to 11 minute/mile.

Going to relax, enjoy the sights and sounds, slow pace, and enjoy a beautiful Texas morning, throw up optional

Aggietaco
AG
AggieOO said:

Lmk where you end up.
I'll be at 1st and Nueces as long as the weather isn't crap. We've got a project there so parking shouldn't be an issue. Give me a shout if you want to join.

Wasted some time last night and plotted a few signs, so runners, be on the lookout for a guy with a ron burgandy sign and an infant strapped to his chest.
Aggietaco
AG
Scratch that. Rib's friend had to bail last minute so I'm running with Mrs Aggietaco tomorrow.
Swarely
Go time!
AggieOO
I ended up not going down there anyway.
Aggietaco
AG
Sow your wife and SIL a couple of times.
stuckinaustinAG
AG
Was not a huge fan of the new course. The east Austin part was not very scenic and it seemed there were not many spectators on that side. That last half mile before the end was cruel and unusual, steepest hill on the course. Otherwise a good race.

AggieOO
I heard. The SIL was struggling, but she didn't train for the race. Katie stayed with her since she was just out there for the hell of it.
TxAgClif00
AG
Well first full in the books. Have to agree on the course as far as the east side, not the most scenic. The volunteer support on this race though was outstanding so hats off to Austin for that. Comgrats to all those who finished.
emando2000
AG
Did ya'll see the guy in the T-Rex suit do the marathon? That had to be hot as hell!
Rosie11
AG
Quote:

Did ya'll see the guy in the T-Rex suit do the marathon? That had to be hot as hell!
No, but I finished with a guy in a banana suit that was sweating buckets the last 4 miles.

Thankful it didn't rain the whole time. The roads were a little wet and some puddles in places, but it wasn't as muggy as I was expecting.

Overall the hills did my knees in. Was struggling to maintain 11min pace from mile 16 onward. Back half on the east side was flat and I was thankful for that but like others said non existent crowds. Except for a couple of restaurants on Cesar Chavez where people waiting outside the restaurant were cheering people on. (side note: one place thought it would be cool to hit people in the face with confetti. Some abuela nailed the girl running next to me with confetti and we both turned to her and said "WTF?!")

Race support was great. Didn't care for the Nuun stuff but the cliffshots were great. Loved Gary P. Nunn at the start.
Aggietaco
AG
I saw a banana, a taco, and lots of fairies/ballerina type folks. I was rather upset when my wife let the banana pass us.
TxAgClif00
AG
I saw the T-Rex guy before the race. Couldnt believe he had a marathon bib stuck on the front.

Maybe a dumb question, but for those of you who have run multiple marathons, was your first easier than your second because of the adrenaline and the "newness" of running a full, or was your second easier simply because you were in better shape after even more training?
The Pilot
AG
TxAgClif00 said:

I saw the T-Rex guy before the race. Couldnt believe he had a marathon bib stuck on the front.

Maybe a dumb question, but for those of you who have run multiple marathons, was your first easier than your second because of the adrenaline and the "newness" of running a full, or was your second easier simply because you were in better shape after even more training?
I think my first was harder than just about any other marathon (I'm at 25+) because:

1. Wasn't properly trained. I ran everything long/speed/whatever at pretty much same pace.
2. Bad pacing. I started the race too fast. I ran a 1:51 first half and a 2:22 second half. I should have ran the first half slower and the back half might not have sucked as much.
Potcake
AG
emando2000 said:

Wife and I were eating at El Chile before Ragin Cajun/sip baseball game and saw him coming by so I went out and took pic. His breathing was very audible.
TxAgClif00
AG
Thanks Pilot, I guess I'm curious as to how the mental aspect changes once you've run one. Looking back it kinda feels like I was on a 'high' the whole time because I was running my first. Won't have that for the next one and I'm a little worried it will feel more like work. If that makes any sense.
c-jags
that's funny. my kid got one of those for halloween and we had a hoot with it. i got video of him playing basketball in it which i can look back and chuckle at every time.
coop-aero-06
AG
TxAgClif00 said:

Thanks Pilot, I guess I'm curious as to how the mental aspect changes once you've run one. Looking back it kinda feels like I was on a 'high' the whole time because I was running my first. Won't have that for the next one and I'm a little worried it will feel more like work. If that makes any sense.

I agree with what Pilot said. My first was also my hardest.

If you continue to train properly, then you will be in a position to beat your time at your next marathon. If that is the case, then you'll get to experience a new high as you chase down your PR at the end of the race.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.