Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Runners- mileage question

1,217 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by clobby
rononeill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I'm seeking 15 to 17 miles a week and my objective is general health and a little bit of pride in maintaining speed, how would you allocate your miles? I run around 8 min miles.

5 days of 3.5
3 of 5
3 of 3.5 and a 5
Swarely
Personally I do:

1 speed day that adds up to 3-4 Miles
1 medium distance day around 6 Miles
1 long day of 9 or more miles

Then I have another mile or two after a ride for my brick.
wcb
AG
I'm a big fan of BarryP's plan. Six runs with ratios of 1/2/1/2/1/3. So if you're wanting 15 miles per week your runs would be 1.5/3/1.5/3/1.5/4.5. For 20 it would be 2/4/2/4/2/6. Add in hills or speed work on one of the mid distance runs and you've got a solid base.
Aggietaco
AG
I don't think I would bother with runs less than 30 min since less than that won't do much for your general health. The training schedules I typically follow are similar to what Swarely posted: 1 speed work, 1 medium distance easy run, 1 medium distance moderate run, 1 long run, 1 recovery run.

If you have access to a track, have a speed day with a warmup and some 400s, 800s or 1600s (4mi), a medium hard effort day (5mi), and a longer easier day (8mi+).
wbt5845
AG
I run 3 days a week and do CG four.

Running days are Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Typically do 3 mile speed, 5-6 mile interval or pace and 9-10 mile distance runs. I sometimes throw in an extra 3 mile run on a CG day.

So I do about 20 miles a week pure running. CG has a little bit of running to throw in, depending on the trainer.
bert harbinson
AG
Nothing wrong with a simple ~5mi x 3 to meet your objective, but as others have said, you'll benefit more and be less bored if you mix it up. Most runners eventually want to run longer and faster, and you'll have a good base if you ever change your goals. New challenges/accomplishments are fun.
bmks270
AG
Aggietaco said:

I don't think I would bother with runs less than 30 min since less than that won't do much for your general health.

Wrong.
coop-aero-06
AG
Swarely said:

Personally I do:

Something like this is what I would recommend too.
rw1987
AG
coop-aero-06 said:

Swarely said:

Personally I do:

Something like this is what I would recommend too.
This is similar to what I do, I follow the FIRST training. (Run Less Run Faster by Bill Pierce, Scott Murr and Ray Moss)
Diet Cokehead
AG
Aggietaco said:

I don't think I would bother with runs less than 30 min since less than that won't do much for your general health.

Geriatric Punk
AG
Aggietaco said:

I'm curious where you got this information.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Geriatric Punk
AG
For OP and the guy that thinks running less than 30 minutes isn't worth your time:

https://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/got-10-minutes
Aggietaco
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

Aggietaco said:

I'm curious where you got this information.

Outdated info on my part it appears. I'm not even sure how you'd get a 10 minute run in since almost every training plan I've seen has a 1 or 2 mile warm-up and CD at the end.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Shoot, my man, when my dad first started running he did it in 20 minute chunks. Run a block. Walk a block. He eventually qualified for Boston (years later of course).

The article supports what you are saying in that your health will benefit more from longer runs. Still, to say that you can't get anything out of a nice 20 minute stretch run is pretty off. If nothing else, you can justify having a proper beer afterward.
Aggietaco
AG
I was looking for the Stanford study mentioned in that article, but without any sources makes it damn hard to find. I'd like to know what their regimen was for 10 minute runs 15 times/week.
clobby
AG
I'm working on a February streak right now and 10 minutes is all I can muster a lot of days.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.