Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

FKT attempt this weekend

2,317 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggietaco
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, I suppose since I made it official on the FKT boards, I'll post here for a little extra motivation to think about when I'm pushing up the switchbacks this weekend.

I'm leaving tomorrow to head out to Big Bend and attempt to set an FKT on the Outer Mountain Loop. The current record is 8 hours 4 minutes, which is fairly soft, IMO. The OML is about 31 miles with 7K feet of climbing, many miles of exposed trail, and some gnarly footing. I've hiked the entire loop several times and last year ran/hiked it in 8:16. I'm not in the kind of shape I'd want to be to really hammer an FKT, but I'm in good enough shape I still think I can knock some time off it. I have other goals I'm working towards this year, and there are only certain months you can really make an attempt at the FKT because its just too damn hot across the desert.

I'll most likely be running Sunday, as the weather predictions are way more favorable. I think the whole thing really hinges on how well I can keep it together on the 6 mile climb up Blue Creek. If that goes well, I can cruise downhill the last three miles. If it gets hot and my legs are trashed, that climb + the last three will be a 9 mile death march.

Plenty of speedy guys could go crush the FKT right now, so figure I might as well go grab it while its attainable.
coop-aero-06
AG
That's awesome. Good luck!

What's your nutrition and hydration plan for the day? I've never been out there, so I have no idea what the water situation is like.
The Pilot
AG
Good luck man!
ptothemo
AG
That is really awesome, I'll be pulling for you from Houston. Get after it and good luck!
AggieOO
nutrition is going to be mostly gels, even though i hate them. want to get quick calories in and don't to be trying to chew something while struggling to breathe on some of the 20%+ climbs. I'll have some backup solid foods and some tailwind as well.

as for hydration, running with a 2.5L bladder and I'll start with a handheld. Temps should be low enough that I can get through on that, but there's a spot at about mile 21 that I can stash some emergency water. So I'll likely drive down there and drop water the day before in the bear box. Its also the only spot I can easily be extracted if something goes wrong, which is why I'll have my Garmin Inreach on me for the run.

here's the elevation profile from last years run/hike:

CDub06
AG
Good luck. Do it big, my dude!
Geriatric Punk
AG
FKT = Fastest Known Time

For anyone else that was wondering.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Aggietaco
AG
Thanks for the invite! Just think, I could be there to slow you down enough that you could easily set a new FKT next year.
Aggietaco
AG
Also, good luck. Are you carrying a phone to live track as well or is there even cell service?
AggieOO
no cell service, but I'll have my garmin Inreach, which has live tracking. I'll probably set it to ping the satellites every 10 mins. I'll try to post the link here on saturday if I can get everything working properly.
AggieOO
oh, and if your wife will let you leave for the weekend, I'm leaving tomorrow.

i'm going solo since one friend bailed and the other caught the flu yesterday.
Aggietaco
AG
If I didn't have to be back in the office on Monday to fight over some issues, I'd be down.

Still never been to Big Bend. I'm game to tag along sometime.
YellowPot_97
AG
Good luck. Having done the OML a dozen or so times, the thought to run it has NEVER crossed my mind.
AggieOO
this will be the active tracking link when I get out there.

https://share.garmin.com/ScottTowle

oddly enough, last time I used the inreach was when my wife and I hiked the OML in nov.
c-jags
Good luck Scott. Will be tracking it!
wbt5845
AG
AggieOO said:

The OML is about 31 miles with 7K feet of climbing ... last year ran/hiked it in 8:16.
You lost me right there, bro!

Best of luck!
AgEng06
AG
Good luck man.
Swarely
Good luck!
AggieOO
thanks everyone.

Looks like I will be starting sometime between 7a and 7:30a Sunday morning, depending on when I have enough light to feel comfortable on the trail. Being on the western end of the time zone, the sun rises a little later than central texas. I don't want to start in the dark, as it would slow me down too much (and I'd like to not get eaten by a mountain lion. )

tracking will be available here when I turn on my garmin: https://share.garmin.com/ScottTowle

this will be slightly off the actual time, as I will start this before I start running. However, it should be pretty close and returning a location every 10 minutes. I'll need to go under 8:04 to break the current record.

If anything changes on timing or such, I'll try to log on to wifi at the lodge and update.
c-jags
Thanks for updating. I'll be flying to Vegas but will update it as often as I can.
AggieOO
Based on sunrise this morning, looks like a start around 7:30a tomorrow.
New Hampshire Ag
AG
Good luck!
wcb
AG
Well...?
c-jags
He starts tomorrow.
YellowPot_97
AG
He's trucking along
AggieOO
Well guys, not my day. Woke up not feeling that great, but figured I'd give it a shot. Weather predictions we're 30s and overcast, but it was 50 at 6:30a. By the time the sun came up, not a cloud in the sky.

I made the initial push up pinnacles, but it felt way too hard. I've run that section many times, so I know how it should feel. Created the climb and started down boot canyon, and though my pace was faster, it wasn't feeling any easier. I knew if I climbed juniper and dropped into the Canyon, I had no guarantee I'd see another soul for at least 18 miles. Even with an emergency beacon on me, it wasn't worth the risk with rising temperatures.

Currently sitting in the basin, and it's very warm.

A few years ago, I probably would have pushed on, but I made the smart decision to cut it short. The trail will be there for another shot some day.
Matsui
AggieOO
And now the front blows in. Now in the 40s.

Though guess it doesn't matter since I wasn't feeling that great anyway.
YellowPot_97
AG
There's worse places to be sitting.
wcb
AG
c-jags said:

He starts tomorrow.
Explains why I got nothing on the tracker all day Saturday.

Thanks for playing it smart OO. Especially with no support. There'll be another day.
Aggietaco
AG
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Let me know when you plan another attempt.
AggieOO
Probably won't be until late in the year. Won't get back before it gets too hot. Hopefully I can give myself a full 3 day (or more) window to pick the weather. If I'd had an extra day, today would have been the best day to attempt.

Have to see what kind of shape I'm in though. After the San Diego 100 in june, I have nothing scheduled, but I'll be plenty busy.
Aggietaco
AG
We'll be on level playing field. Except for your run up in training to June.

I'm sure you can get a 3 day pass, so let's plan something, even if I just go as support and get to **** around while you get lost in the desert.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.