Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Texas Independence Relay 2018

3,035 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by farmersfight
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got an email saying they cut the last 20 miles/4 legs (now 180 miles/36 legs) off the race and its finishing in downtown Houston rather than out at San Jacinto. Would be lying to say I'm disappointed to hear it.

Pretty sure we have our team going still though
The Pilot
AG
Goes to shiner now too
wangus12
AG
Not disappointed by that change. Love that little town
bert harbinson
AG
The course has been reworked quite a bit. Was an explanation given for these changes? Flood related?
hurricanejake02
AG
I get the ideas behind some of the changes - more running in towns like Shiner, less in E. Houston and Pasadena, but I don't know how you move the finish line of the Texas Independence Relay away from the San Jacinto Monument.
NoahAg
I don't mind changing the course up, but cutting 20 miles off is very disappointing. When I read their email and saw that it ends downtown, my first thought was they must have added miles somewhere along the way. The way this was announced makes me think there's a lot more to it. It's not until you open the leg summary that you see it was cut to 180.
Leg summary
By all accounts, the RDs are stand up people, but it really looks like someone dropped the ball. Strange for an event in it's 11th year.

On the positive side, at least we won't have to outrun pit bulls in Deer Park.
Rudyjax
AG
Going thru Shiner is cool.

Not going to San Jacinto, not cool.
bert harbinson
AG
Quite a let down, instead of San Jacinto monument, looks like the finish is at the top of a parking garage.
The Pilot
AG
Sucks that it no longer finishes at the monument but the run portion thru Houston sucks.
hurricanejake02
AG
Also curious that the race went from being advertised as "212 miles!" to "200 miles" to "~200 miles"
wangus12
AG
What was the impact of Hurricane Harvey on that area. Here is a picture I found. Is this a one-off year due to the impact of Harvey?

bert harbinson
AG
Don't think so. Texas Independence Bike Tour scheduled for Feb 24
NoahAg
hurricanejake02 said:

Also curious that the race went from being advertised as "212 miles!" to "200 miles" to "~200 miles"
Going from 200 to only 180 miles is pretty significant. Teams w/ 12 runners now only have to run 3 legs each. A lot more down time, and faster overall times. Our team has 10, so I guess 6 of us will run 4 legs, and 4 guys will run 3.
Rudyjax
AG
Must have for the run??

The Pilot
AG
terrible beer. i'd rather just drink water
NoahAg
Everyone got your start time? We start at 10:32am. I'm running legs 10, 16, 27, 35.
RockOn
What pace would one have to maintain to do this solo??
The Pilot
AG
I'm not sure now with the new finish area, but previously the cutoff was 5 or 6pm Sunday because the San Jacinto Monument would close then. They also allow solo runners to begin Friday so that buys them extra time.
wbt5845
AG
NoahAg said:

Everyone got your start time? We start at 10:32am. I'm running legs 10, 16, 27, 35.
This really sounds like a lot of fun. May I ask - about how much $ does this end up costing? I'm assuming there's a split entry fee and paying for a van and driver?

RockOn
I guess you still need a van/crew if going solo?
bert harbinson
AG
I was set to be runner #11 on a very good 12 person 'veterans' team. Unfortunately I had to withdraw because of a recent knee injury (Seeing ortho doc tomorrow). Really bummed I'm going to miss this event.

Good luck and have fun everybody!
NoahAg
wbt5845 said:

NoahAg said:

This really sounds like a lot of fun. May I ask - about how much $ does this end up costing? I'm assuming there's a split entry fee and paying for a van and driver?

Our team has 10 runners. It's usually about $140 per person, plus food and chipping in for gas. But we are one of the few teams that doesn't rent vans. We're all from Houston or Dallas, so we just use our personal mini-vans, SUVs, etc. We used someone's 4-door truck last year, and that worked out really well b/c we could just throw our stuff into the bed.
The Pilot
AG
Our costs were usually $200/person with a 12 person team with two large vans and we stay in a hotel the night before the race starts.

I know a team that does the relay with 10 people and only 1 large van.
wangus12
AG
I had to back out due to other obligations.

We did it last year with 7 people and one van which was a ton of fun, but also grueling. I can't imagine having a team of 10 in one van
NoahAg
The Pilot said:

I know a team that does the relay with 10 people and only 1 large van.
We considered doing that this year. It's nice having a rest van thought. The Dallas half of our team stays in a motel friday night. We Houston guys just drive to Gonzales saturday morning.

If our team ever disbands, I've thought about trying with a team of 4 or 5.
Endo Ag
AG
Our local relay (blue ridge relay, check it out) has a base team of 12 people and 36 legs. We always do it in 9 people, so we each run 4 legs vs 3 and stick to one van. I wouldn't do it any other way (especially the 4 or 6 person teams...eff that).
rao11010
AG
9:44 start time and i'll be running 12, 18, and 30. First one so I'm excited. Any tips from the veterans?
hurricanejake02
AG
Bring extra socks and an extra pair of shoes.
NoahAg
rao11010 said:

9:44 start time and i'll be running 12, 18, and 30. First one so I'm excited. Any tips from the veterans?
-Hydrate, eat, and stretch good between legs. Use a foam roller to stay loose.
-Rest when you can. Try not to be out in the sun too much when you're not running.
-Study your legs. Print them out to carry with you just in case. Don't assume that the person in front of you knows what they're doing.

This is my packing list:

4 running socks
2 running shoes
2 running shorts
Compression shorts
2 running shirts
Arm sleeves (if cold)
Running hat
Sandals
T-shirt
Shorts
Boxers
Deodorant
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Sunglasses
Vaseline
Sunscreen
Bandaids
Toilet paper
Ibuprofen
Water
Coconut water
Gatorade
Gels
Bananas
Apples
Bars
Jerky
Gum
Wipes
Sanitizer
Headlamp
Vest
Towel
Wash cloth
Blanket/sleeping bag
Hammock
Pillow
Phone charger
Vitamins
Chapstick
Watch
HR strap
Pb&j
Cough drops

farmersfight
AG
been away form the board for a while...we start at 1:10 and have 9 runners, originally had 11 when we signed up.

I have 6, 15, 23, and 32. We have a rented van and then a teammates SUV. Luckily we save cost by getting to drive in that morning.

As extra things to bring for some, baby wipes and immodium. We won't have Rob's tacos (from TROT) this year at 3 in the morning, but still, your body may start acting up from the lack of real rest and stress that you're putting it through. AND enough socks to have a fresh pair and sandals for when you're resting. Pack plenty of Nuun / electrolyte tablets.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Ending close to home was nice!

Had a team of 12 sponsored by Eureka, we had a blast!

NoahAg
Another fun time. 23rd overall. Our best yet. Finishing downtown did make it easier to get home. But I do hope they figure out how to make it 200 miles again.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
First time to do it. Was amazing. I'm not an avid runner but ran with wife and her running group. We had 11 runners and 2 drivers so we had one van "on" and one off that would swap every 4 hours or so.

Had no idea the cumulative effect would be so noticeable. Ton of fun and my wife's mother, who had our 3 girls, lives in flatonia so I got to finish leg 10 with them cheering and then my wife got to start 11. Pretty awesome moment for us both.
AgCanuck07
AG
This sounds awesome. I want to do it next year.
farmersfight
AG
This was our 2nd year to do TIR (Notorious BRC). Unofficially came in 6th overall and 3rd in mixed division. Really felt the pressure being lumped in with the final group of 7 teams. Seemed easier this year, not as much Houston navigating.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.