Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Rocky 100 DQ

3,897 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wbt5845
RockOn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i want no part of this.
cjo03
AG
interesting. don't know him personally but couple dozen mutual friends - most are the "who's who" of endurance in the woodlands... the local amateur elites, local coaches, local race directors, etc.
wbt5845
AG
Good. I hate those who cheat at runs. What's the point?

I finished 10 seconds out of placing in my age group at the Some Like It Cold 10k in Fort Worth last December. TONS of people were cutting off about 0.2 miles in the middle by going off course up to the street and jumping back on the running trail further down.

Did one of the guys who edged me out cheat? Who knows?
Geriatric Punk
AG
Some people need to feel like they accomplished greatness...even when they didn't.

Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
drivinwest
AG
My partner was working the finish line when he came in. I was wondering when this would happen. It was so obvious--not sure what runners that cheat this blatantly are thinking.
AggieOO
having run RR100, I know exactly where/how this guy cut that the course. It would be a very "easy" thing to do anywhere along that section. It's an unfortunate thing with most trail race courses, and its very, very easy to do since there are less timing mats, trails curve back on themselves, many times there are long sections where you won't be around anyone, etc.

cheaters are a-holes
wbt5845
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

Some people need to feel like they accomplished greatness...even when they didn't.
I always imagined how hard it would be to beat my PR if I cheated. I guess you have to cheat more to beat it?
AZAG08
AG
I just can't imagine choosing to cheat. I accidentally cheated in a very small race one time because I turned back towards the finish and didn't realize I had to another small loop to add

When they told me I had placed I knew something was wrong because I knew how many people had been ahead of me.

I was so embarrassed I just can't wrap my mind around allowing people to congratulate you on something like that when you did it on purpose
c-jags
Reminds me of the Miami race cheaters posted a week back.

Why? It's not the damn olympics. I'd at least get that.
wxguy95
AG
wbt5845 said:

Good. I hate those who cheat at runs. What's the point?

I finished 10 seconds out of placing in my age group at the Some Like It Cold 10k in Fort Worth last December. TONS of people were cutting off about 0.2 miles in the middle by going off course up to the street and jumping back on the running trail further down.

Did one of the guys who edged me out cheat? Who knows?

You can extend that to people taking testosterone, HGH, etc. It's just too easy for others to cheat at most normal events. It is better to just compete with yourself. Did you get the time you wanted, did you train well, etc.
CDub06
AG
Cheaters are scum.
Big Al 1992
AG
That Runners World article posted awhile back was the most unbelievable - made up his own race and made up participants so that he could claim he won.
RockOn
wangus12
AG
Those people are the best.
cjo03
AG

wbt5845
AG
So I came in 3rd overall male this weekend and set a PR in the 10K. Feels great to do it honestly.

Interestingly, my fastest mile was Mile 1 (not odd) but my second fastest was Mile 6. The course was an out and back so I knew there were only a couple of guys in front of me. I knew several guys couldn't be too far back so I pushed the last mile as hard as I could.

And all that would be ruined if I'd cheated.
Matsui
AG
CONGRATS

what was your finishing time?
wbt5845
AG
Matsui said:

CONGRATS

what was your finishing time?
Seriously, it was a very small field. I ran a 57:00 which somehow was third male overall. But that was 4 minutes faster than I'd ever run a 10K - and at 55 years old I was happy with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.