Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Morning Workout Recovery

1,616 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by P.U.T.U
Solo Tetherball Champ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've just started the road back to getting in shape by doing p90x* in my garage after nearly two years of few and far between workouts. To maximize my time with my family in the afternoon and evenings, I've been working out in the morning (6ish to 7ish). As you would expect with a guy who is largely coming from the couch, I'm pretty wiped out after my workouts.

Is there any sort of post or pre-workout nutrition that I should be having to help me get my energy and focus back quickly?

I've done some research online, but as an online marketer I recognize that most of what I'm reading is largely direct or indirect advertisements for various supplements. I was hoping that the honest and classy guys of the H & F board could point me in the right direction based off of their own experience.

*To keep the mockers at a minimum, once I make it through a round of p90x I'm going to switch to something more conventional as I slowly equip my garage gym.
Punked Shank
AG
I like peanut butter and banana toast with some honey on it.

Pretty straightforward. But I'm also not a big fan of protein shakes, shakeology, supplements, etc.

I keep it "natural" for the most part.
Broncos
What are your fitness goals? Drop weight? Build muscle?
Solo Tetherball Champ

For the record I'm 6'2 and 195. I'm still at the point where I look good enough in clothes, but you can immediately tell I'm out of shape when my shirt is off. So my goals are:

• I'm currently squeezing into 34 inch pants but I want to be able to comfortably fit into my 32 inch pants again.
  • Get bigger and stronger, but not so big that I have to purchase larger clothes (unless we're talking tailored clothes).

Overall, I really want to improve my overall fitness and health, but I'm 31 so my priority is not to have develop six pack abs, though I (or my wife) wouldn't mind. I'm just not prepared to monitor my diet that closely, but I am making concessions in my diet such as staying away from sodas, fast food, watching the overall macros, etc.

94chem
Quote:

I'm currently squeezing into 34 inch pants but I want to be able to comfortably fit into my 32 inch pants again.
FYI, gravity is going to do a few things over the next several years that your workout regime won't be able to fix. Even if you develop a 6 pack, hang onto the 34's - that 195 will get slightly redistributed.
Solo Tetherball Champ
94chem said:

Quote:

I'm currently squeezing into 34 inch pants but I want to be able to comfortably fit into my 32 inch pants again.
FYI, gravity is going to do a few things over the next several years that your workout regime won't be able to fix. Even if you develop a 6 pack, hang onto the 34's - that 195 will get slightly redistributed.

Yeah I know. I figure that by exercising and eating well I can slow that process down some. I've already noticed my metabolism slow significantly down in the past few years.
reproag
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

I'm just not prepared to monitor my diet that closely, but I am making concessions in my diet such as staying away from sodas, fast food, watching the overall macros, etc.

Did you watch you macros closely and now have an idea of what you can eat without weighting your food or are you just winging it? I've been counting my macros for about 2.5 yrs now and still weight my food most of the time. I find that once you start it really isn't that time consuming.
I will NEVER apologize for being American
rshackelford
AG
A note on p90x. It's really good for what you're using it for. You'll improve your cardio, flexibility, and endurance. Beyond "noob gains" though, you won't develop much real strength and size, which is fine if that's not your goal. There just aren't enough heavy load bearing compound moves in it.

On recovery. Take extra care with form. Tony Horton is a great motivator and awesome on camera but he tends gloss over correct form mechanics and why you do things a certain way. Understandably so, it's hard to cover the entire nuances of mechanics in a 50 minute session. I wrecked my shoulders and lower back with the less than perfect form you can get away with on those pressing and lunging moves. Just do some extra research outside the videos on the correct form of some of those moves. Video yourself and use mirrors.

I mention that because bad form can really destroy recovery time. ITll contribute unnecessarily to soreness and Slow you down. If you're just exhausted, try to chug a couple cups of black coffee 20 minutes before your work workout, or take it after.

I too do my workouts early for the same reason (4am for me). Night workouts detract from family time too much. I have come to depend on a strong preworkout to get good lifts in that early and be able to function thorough the day afterward.
Solo Tetherball Champ

Quote:

A note on p90x. It's really good for what you're using it for. You'll improve your cardio, flexibility, and endurance. Beyond "noob gains" though, you won't develop much real strength and size, which is fine if that's not your goal. There just aren't enough heavy load bearing compound moves in it.
Those reasons are exactly why I'm doing this program. I'm not looking to get huge - mostly looking to improve strength, endurance, and flexibility as you said. If I can drop from 195 to a leaner and fitter 185, fantastic. The other reason I'm doing p90x is because the whole program is spelled out so I do not have to plan out my workouts and routine in advance.

Quote:

On recovery. Take extra care with form. Tony Horton is a great motivator and awesome on camera but he tends gloss over correct form mechanics and why you do things a certain way. Understandably so, it's hard to cover the entire nuances of mechanics in a 50 minute session. I wrecked my shoulders and lower back with the less than perfect form you can get away with on those pressing and lunging moves. Just do some extra research outside the videos on the correct form of some of those moves. Video yourself and use mirrors.
I've had some shoulder issues in the past so I am very careful and protective of them. The moment that I think my form is starting to worsen I stop the exercise. The moment I feel a ghost of discomfort in my shoulders I've stopped. I only did 30 minutes of Yoga X today because the downward dogs were starting to put a strain on my left shoulder (normally my right gives me trouble).

I think some of my issues now at 31 are due to growing up in a football program where we are taught to push through the pain, but they never taught us to think about the difference between being "hurt" and "hurting".

Quote:

I mention that because bad form can really destroy recovery time. ITll contribute unnecessarily to soreness and Slow you down. If you're just exhausted, try to chug a couple cups of black coffee 20 minutes before your work workout, or take it after.

Thanks. For the reasons above I have been careful and while I've worked hard, I have not pushed myself to the breaking point.

That's what my post-workout is. Protein shake (just powder and water) followed by three cups of coffee.

Quote:

I too do my workouts early for the same reason (4am for me). Night workouts detract from family time too much. I have come to depend on a strong preworkout to get good lifts in that early and be able to function thorough the day afterward

Thanks for the advice. I've already started using a preworkout. I haven't noticed any sort of energy buzz but I drink a lot of coffee so that isn't a surprise. Even if the pre-workout actually did nothing, I think the placebo effect has helped.
rshackelford
AG
You've got a perfectly good handle on it, it sounds. I think it's a good program that will do what you're looking for in that case. I've done 3-4 passes through it as well as the 2nd and 3rd editions. The first is still my favorite. 2&3 are heavy on the gimmicks and don't have as many conventional moves.
Solo Tetherball Champ
rshackelford said:

You've got a perfectly good handle on it, it sounds. I think it's a good program that will do what you're looking for in that case. I've done 3-4 passes through it as well as the 2nd and 3rd editions. The first is still my favorite. 2&3 are heavy on the gimmicks and don't have as many conventional moves.

P90X3 is gimmicky? Dangit. I had heard bad things about x2 but I was hoping that x3 would buck the trend.
bmks270
AG
My experience for morning workouts is that I have to have a good breakfast first, otherwise I feel like crap. For me that includes a protein (eggs, bacon, something). So try experimenting with what you eat before you begin your workout and see if it has an effect.

For recovery in general, I like to have a Gatorade after a workout and some kind of snack. Sometimes I do a shake, sometimes a fruit, I like the earlier post about a peanut butter snack. In college I time apple slices and dipped them in peanut butter after a workout, I took this with me to the gym and would eat it afterwards.

AggieChemist
AG
I do crossfit at 6 am. I recover with black coffee and not being a *****.
Satellite of Love
I hear weed aids in recovery.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
rshackelford
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

rshackelford said:

P90X3 is gimmicky? Dangit. I had heard bad things about x2 but I was hoping that x3 would buck the trend.

It's not as bad as 2 is about it with the dumb stability ball for everything. Classic is still the best.
P.U.T.U
AG
P90X gives you a good base. I got up to 190ish doing it and was in good shape. For people that are not familiar with workout programs this is a safe place to start. P90X3 follows the trend of 30 minutes of HIIT being beneficial to health, not elite fitness. The yoga, isometrix, and dynamics or whatever are good recovery workouts.

To me a safety cage, barbell, and bench can meet most people's goals. Things like squats, deadlifts, and presses are hard to beat. If all else fails a pull up bar and some random weights will get you in great shape. If you are just going after health HIIT 3x a week is what studies show what works with minimum time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.