Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2018 CrossFit Open

24,418 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgEng06
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I figured I'd start this thread like I did last year. Here is a link to last year's thread, for those that are interested or for reference: 2017 CrossFit Open. I will get a Google Sheet set up like last year for those of us that want to "compete" with others on the board.

Registration opened today. Who's in? What do you guys hope to accomplish this year?

Last year was my first year, so I mainly wanted to see what I could do. I was able to do all workouts Rx, which I counted as a win. This year I want to improve on that, and hopefully do better relative to those in my gym (I don't care as much about regional rankings).

Stay tuned...

EDIT: Here is the link for 2018 - 2018 CrossFit Open_TexAgs H&F
AgEng06
AG
I came across this article about the Open summarizing the movements that have been done over the years. There's some pretty good info in here if you care to try to guess what might be coming...

https://wodprep.com/blog/7-movements-master-crossfit-open/

emando2000
AG
I'm in & out of shape! Let's do it!
FarmersFightForever
AG
I'm in. Thanks for setting up OP, enjoyed following this thread last year.

See you there emando
reproag
AG
In. Trying to Rx all workouts this year.
kyleolsenreed
AG
In. I want to improve from last year and be consistent throughout the workouts. 17.1 basically destroyed my ranking and I couldn't recover.
UpstateAg
AG
I'm in. Just started two months ago after powerlifting for over a decade (and recently coming back from cal and meniscus tears). Still getting used to some of the movements, but I've been practicing in my garage gym.
Hopefully there will be no squat snatch.
YourFavAggie
AG
kyleolsenreed said:

In. I want to improve from last year and be consistent throughout the workouts. 17.1 basically destroyed my ranking and I couldn't recover.

17.1 was by far the worst for me. Would really suck to see that repeated in any form
AggieChemist
AG
What the hell. Decided to register this year, despite all my crankiness in previous years.
AgEng06
AG
Glad to see you on board!
emando2000
AG
Fingers crossed for Bar Muscle Ups vs Ring Muscle Ups. For some reason I can't do rings.
bamdvm
I'm not familiar with CF so pardon my ignorance. How do you "compete" in the open? Are there locations throughout Texas that you have to go on certain days throughout the open and compete against other athletes with judges present? Follow up question: Who goes to regionals? I'm assuming the country is split up into regions and the top however many from each region qualify for regionals? Also, who from regionals do they take to the big show? TIA
AgEng06
AG
I'd prefer ring MUs, for sure. I can string 3-5 together most days. I'm good to string 2 bar MUs, and then I tear my hands.
OutdoorAg
AG
bamdvm said:

I'm not familiar with CF so pardon my ignorance. How do you "compete" in the open? Are there locations throughout Texas that you have to go on certain days throughout the open and compete against other athletes with judges present? Follow up question: Who goes to regionals? I'm assuming the country is split up into regions and the top however many from each region qualify for regionals? Also, who from regionals do they take to the big show? TIA

You complete the open workouts at any crossfit gym. Each gym had people that are certified judges. The whole world is divided up into regions.
AgEng06
AG
Google Sheet link added to the OP (and linked here).

2018 CrossFit Open_TexAgs H&F
emando2000
AG
Dooood I just realized that I'll be in the 40-44 yr old division once the open starts!

What's that called? Grandpa Division?????
UpstateAg
AG
The guys who train for wodapalooza and the open are hammering pull-ups and db snatches. Today was Eva's evil step sister, which is 5 rounds of:
800m run
30 db snatch (50#)
30 pull-ups, no kipping

It was brutal. There better be db snatches and strict pull-ups this year.
AgEng06
AG
I'm betting we get a repeat of one of the DB movements from last year. I'd prefer the snatches to the damn walking lunges.
FarmersFightForever
AG
Anybody know what's up with this 18.0 thing? 21/15/9 DB snatches and burpees over DB
For fun? Tiebreaker/bonus workout?
AgEng06
AG
From what I can gather, it's just to drum up interest in the Open and get people excited. I believe CF has said it's not part of the Open workouts, so I don't think it will be used for any tiebreakers or anything.
AggieChemist
AG
emando2000 said:

Dooood I just realized that I'll be in the 40-44 yr old division once the open starts!

Whatever it is, I'm in the same division. The scaled one.
AgEng06
AG
AggieChemist said:

emando2000 said:

Whatever it is, I'm in the same division. The scaled one.
It's the "Masters Men (40-44)".

There is also a Masters Men for ages 35-39, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, and 60+. And there are Rx and Scaled divisions within each of those age groups.
UpstateAg
AG
Db snatches and burpees. Perfect. This will be fun after squat day tomorrow. I better start practicing the hand transitions and my burpee jumps. I can get lazy and not jump with my feet together
18 USC 3056 Ag
AG
I'm in and will attempt to do Rx Masters Men 35-39 from OKC. Thanks OP for putting this all together!
Fore warned is fore armed.
UpstateAg
AG
Did 18.0 after tonight's "drag myself to the gym post-Mexican food and getting kids to bed" workout of front squats and deadlifts. Did it RX'ed and am having Fran-lung flashbacks. 6:25, and I felt the Mexican food with every burpee.
emando2000
AG
We did 18.0 this morning for our Saturday WOD.
800m run warm up
800m run cool down
3.47 RX - Burpees were rough round 2 on.
UpstateAg
AG
That's impressive. Those first burpees just took my will away for wanting it sub 5:00.
emando2000
AG
UpstateAg said:

That's impressive. Those first burpees just took my will away for wanting it sub 5:00.

Thanks. The athlete at our place got 3.07 today. He's our only "competitor" as in it's his job to only train & coach. I think I could've shaved about 20 sec had it been the actual open. It's tough to say tho. I feel like my cardio has gone down a bit. I'm almost to my one year anniversary with Crossfit & only wish I'd been doing it for longer! I love it! Good luck in your training!
DuckDown2013
AG
Have not registered for the open yet. UNFORRINATELY, I broke my 4th and 5th metatarsals in my right foot in December and this is my first week back in Crossfit. Really bummed because I have seen mass improvement in the open over the last 3 years.

Either way, I'll be cheering all you Ags on and keeping an eye on all the open workout announcements and what not.

I don't see them repeating a wod from last year. They have done this too often in the recent past and I don't think Castro will be that predictable. There may be a repeat, but my prediction is that it will not be from 2017.
I'm thinking we will see an overhead squat with a dumbbell
We should see ring muscle ups this year over bar
AgEng06
AG
Damn man, sorry to hear that. You were a beast last year.
gigemhilo
AG
Im in. This will be my second open and I willl be in the 40+ scaled group.

I did not have enough workouts to qualify last year because of a bum shoulder, but did well on the ones i did do. So my goal this year is to qualify for regionals. I am in much better overall shape than last year, but the shoulder took me out of strength training for a while. I am interested to see how I do this year.
DuckDown2013
AG
Much appreciated! I may still join because I can't help not doing it, but I will likely see a major decline as my strength and conditioning is down a considerable amount, but we will see!!
UpstateAg
AG
Just did Linda. She really earns that three bars of death nickname.
dc509
AG
I'm pumped. This probably isn't going to be my best performance, but it's always fun. Good luck everyone.
emando2000
AG
Is anyone doing the team concept for The Open? Instead of individually signing up and paying CrossFit our $20 for the open, our box is dividing our people into teams and doing The Open workouts but putting the money to the box vs CrossFit. It's definitely generating some friendly competition. So far we have 4 teams of about 6-8 people.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.