Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Your 2018 Marathons and Half Marathons

4,465 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SJEAg
Ken Adams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You may have already seen it, but Disney opened a Star Wars virtual race if you want the Kessel challenge medal to pair with the April race...if you're into those kind of things and giving Disney more money!
hbc07
AG
Jan - Oregon Winter Half
April - Vernonia, OR Full
June - Beaverton, OR Half
July - Missoula, MT Full
September - Jackson Hole Full
October - Humboldt Redwoods Half

Probably too much, but why not?
wangus12
AG
Adding Midnight Sun Half Marathon in Iceland in June
JoeOlson
AG
Thanks for the heads up! It's kind of funny, but I just can't get into the idea of a virtual race. I actually enjoy the stress of race day
Rudyjax
AG
mattmb917 said:

You may have already seen it, but Disney opened a Star Wars virtual race if you want the Kessel challenge medal to pair with the April race...if you're into those kind of things and giving Disney more money!

What a good time on the Kessel run?
Geriatric Punk
AG
March - Panther City Half
November - NYC (if I get in...so...probably not).

Between the two - well - depends on if I get in to NYC.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
bert harbinson
AG
wangus12 said:

Adding Midnight Sun Half Marathon in Iceland in June
This sounds awesome. We'll expect pics and a full report.

Just registered for Skyline Half in Dallas at the end of April.
Rudyjax
AG
Running the Cowtown full on Sunday.
wangus12
AG
JoeOlson said:

Thanks for the heads up! It's kind of funny, but I just can't get into the idea of a virtual race. I actually enjoy the stress of race day
Me neither. I'll go run 13 miles for a long weekend run, but I'm not gonna pay for it. I'm not paying for the medal. I'm paying for the experience when it comes to races.
gcracker13
AG
Running the Alamo 13.1 in early March. For those of you that are also running this, have you gotten any confirmation emails? I maybe got one the day I signed up but haven't received anything else. Is this normal?
coop-aero-06
AG
Just realized that I never posted on this thread.

The Boston Marathon in April is my only road marathon planned for this year. After that it'll be a lot of trail ultras.
Ken Adams
AG
There's no official time submission unless you want a finishers certificate for the fun of it. Basically anyone can sign up and get the medal mailed to them. Between cowtown and Disney Star Wars HM, I figured I'll count a training run towards it to play by the rules.

It's a tough situation because I've been wanting to run Star Wars HM at Land and World where you can offially get the medal but the DL races are on hiatus for now and haven't heard anything about a return soon. I get im just paying for the medal without the race day atmosphere but I love medals and I love Star Wars.
AgCanuck07
AG
I registered for the Alamo 26.2. I have the original receipt from when I registered (early November) but have not received any emails or communication since then. I am wondering if we will be receiving an email about race day logistics and packet pickup. I'm glad that I am not the only person to not receive anything
MEENag
AG
Running my first full next weekend (Cowtown). Nervous/excited.
hbc07
AG
Just signed up for the Champoeg 30k on Saturday. I was supposed to do a 19mi training run Sunday, so it lined up with my schedule well. Will just have to fight the impulse to try and push the pace and just keep it nice and easy.
Rudyjax
AG
Good luck not pushing the pace.
wangus12
AG
Why I try to avoid running a race as a training day. I'll have every intention in the world to take it slow, but the moment I toe the line, my competitiveness takes over and I go balls to the wall.
wbt5845
AG
wangus12 said:

Why I try to avoid running a race as a training day. I'll have every intention in the world to take it slow, but the moment I toe the line, my competitiveness takes over and I go balls to the wall.
I never sign up for a race just as a training day. Why pay $$$ just to train?
Rudyjax
AG
Some plans include a race to get used to race pace.

wangus12
AG
I would sometimes sign up for half marathons during marathon training because I like running in races in general or was gonna help pace someone who wanted support or the like.

Never have sought out a race just for a training run.
Rudyjax
AG
Races in part of training is great. You just have to know what you're doing. If you work a race and actually race into your training program, it's no problem.

But if you're doing a 13 mile run and you see a half marathon that weekend, and then think you're going to run at a long run pace, you're in trouble.

A few years ago, I signed up for a 15k and then later signed up for a full a few weeks later. I paced one of my wife's friends to a PR and I got in a nice slow run in.
hbc07
AG
Two reasons:

1. I had a rough long run last week motivation wise. So I'm changing it up. I've run every single long run in the last year alone, and I kind of wanted something new. I'm probably going to start running with a group training for a marathon (different race, but similar dates), and some of those guys will be at this race so I'll have a chance to get to know them.

2. Assuming nothing weird happens, at the end of this month I'm being elected to the board of directors of the organization that's putting on this race. So I'm getting involved and getting to know some of the members better; and will also help with some of the clean up after the race.
RachAg2007
AG
I'm running my first half in Steamboat Springs in June.
Rudyjax
AG
RachAg2007 said:

I'm running my first half in Steamboat Springs in June.

A friend ran that one. Loved it.
AggieOO
wbt5845 said:

wangus12 said:

I never sign up for a race just as a training day. Why pay $$$ just to train?

Lots of reasons.

- fitness test
-emulating race morning, including breakfast, getting ready, etc
- testing nutrition plan
- testing hydration
- practicing your correct pace, including not going out too fast
- emulating your race environment, lots can go wrong or right just by running/racing with a crapton of other people
- experiencing the unknown of a race environment

I could probably think of a bunch of other reasons if I sat on the question for awhile. A lot of the above you can practice in training, but the race environment adds an unknown that you can't replicate on your own. The more experienced you are, the less likely you might need to try a lot of things out, but I still like a fitness test race to see if my training is truly where I think it is.
Sooner Born
I don't think I ever responded to this!

Full Marathons:
5/5 - Eau Claire Marathon - Looking for 3:05ish and a BQ
11/4 - NYC Marathon - Just found out I was selected so I haven't given it much thought in terms of goal

As for half marathons, I'll run a bunch through the year but don't really have much of a plan for them.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Ran CRC Panther City Half yesterday.

From last minute course/packet pick up/and start changes to the howling wind it was a real sheet show. But, good times all the same. No. PR but finished better that I thought
tmtxco
AG
Coming off of an injury, I'm running a few half marathons before working back to ultras.

Mt Evans Ascent (June, road)
Leadville Heavy Half (June, trail)
Barr Trail Mountain Race (July, trail)
Pikes Peak Ascent (August, trail)

Any other Ags running any of these?
Geriatric Punk
AG
mtnrunner said:

Coming off of an injury, I'm running a few half marathons before working back to ultras.

Mt Evans Ascent (June, road)
Leadville Heavy Half (June, trail)
Barr Trail Mountain Race (July, trail)
Pikes Peak Ascent (August, trail)

Any other Ags running any of these?
The Heavy Half is on my bucket list. Had planned to do it last year, but we ended up moving back to Texas.

If we don't make NYC next year, that will be our (me and my wife) destination race.
wangus12
AG
Was planning on running the Heavy Half this year, but we're running in Iceland instead. I'll call it an even trade from that to running at sea level
BQ2001
AG
I did the Heavy Half a couple years ago on a whim with no real training and it absolutely killed me.

Was not prepared for the rocky up and down at the top and was not confident at all on it. Also, was not prepared for the heat that day and used water to douse myself and took away from my hydration.

I may do it again this year but it's close to another marathon and not sure I want to risk getting hurt on the rocks.
tmtxco
AG
wangus12 said:

Was planning on running the Heavy Half this year, but we're running in Iceland instead. I'll call it an even trade from that to running at sea level
Old mining roads, loose scree, congestion on the narrow trails up on the mountain vs Iceland? Sounds like you had an easy choice provided you are getting in some running there.

I ran the Heavy Half last year and am mainly going back to Leadville because it's a day trip for me.

Quote:

I did the Heavy Half a couple years ago on a whim with no real training and it absolutely killed me.

Was not prepared for the rocky up and down at the top and was not confident at all on it. Also, was not prepared for the heat that day and used water to douse myself and took away from my hydration.

I may do it again this year but it's close to another marathon and not sure I want to risk getting hurt on the rocks.
If you end up running it, LMK. I'll proudly be wearing my A&M cap there so I shouldn't be hard to find.
mrsbeer05
AG
SIgned up for the Houston Half on October 28. I got a PR last year and the Astros won an amazing World Series games that night. Hoping for a similar experience. Also hoping to move closer to that sub 2-hour half that now seems do-able after Saturday's half in Dallas.
SJEAg
AG
Anyone running the Sugar Land 1/2 this Sunday?

Looking like the weather may be too warm for the PR I was hoping for.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.