Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Bronchitis, questions on lingering upper chest tightness

878 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 02skiag
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had a pretty crappy case of bronchitis about 2 months ago.

Was "sick" for about a week, then lingering coughing and upper chest pains for another month.

Yes, went to a doctor. We decided to mostly ride it out since he was only going to prescribe antibiotics to prevent any secondary infections.

So I have been "over it" for about a month. No coughing etc. But I still have a bit of a tightness in the upper chest that I do not notice unless I am doing something strenuous - holding my breath, lifting something, bending over/crouching. Kind of like when you have been inhaling lots of cold air, except none of the coldness.

No congestion when breathing, even heavy breathing such as running.

Is this normal after effects of bronchitis?

not that it matters: never a smoker.

Yes, I will be following up with the doctor later this week since it does not seem to be going anywhere. Just figured I would ask those in the know.
Kool
AG
Yes, that is fairly common, but with two months of symptoms a Chest X-ray wouldn't hurt. About the same amount of radiation exposure as an airplane flight. It's not only smokers that get bad things in the lungs, but those symptoms sound more like a sequel of bronchitis or other lower respiratory tract infection. Especially if you have a bit of silent reflux exacerbating your reactivity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SeattleAgJr
thanks for the response.

I have asked for xrays this time given that it is lingering and we are getting into the colder weather.
BlueSmoke
Maybe a dumb question, but were you prescribed an expectorant along with your antibiotics?
Nobody cares. Work Harder
SeattleAgJr
BlueSmoke said:

Maybe a dumb question, but were you prescribed an expectorant along with your antibiotics?
I used one, yes. but have not in more than a month.
02skiag
AG
I was prescribed prednisone and an inhaler for my bronchitis. It worked.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.