Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Base layer pants for winter running

2,264 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by coop-aero-06
Kool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was hoping to get some recommendations from H&F for a good, breathable, non-chafing base layer for running in the winter. Something that I could possibly also use when I need to take the dog out for a walk when it's cold, and take skiing. It's been a while since I bought anything for the lower body, and if I am going to keep the weight off and get in more running miles this winter, it's time I take one more excuse off of the table (it's too cold outside). I know every year there are newer and better (and more expensive) fabrics out there, and it is possible I could get Santa Claus to bring something to me if I get my list sent out soon. I live in Atlanta, so I'm talking about something sufficient for temperatures just a little below freezing. Could have used them this weekend with about 5 inches of snow on the ground and a puppy dying to roll around in it. Sorry if there is already a thread on this but I couldn't find anything that exactly matched what I wanted. Gracias por su ayuda.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sooner Born
In the temps you're talking about, it doesn't take much to keep the legs warm after the first mile. Go with something that isn't cotton but is cheap so you can get multiple pairs. If find that it's easier to ward off the funk if you can let them breath for a day or two between runs.
Presley OBannons Sword
I don't run in pants unless it's single digits
Sooner Born
Excellent post. Way to help out the OP.
Presley OBannons Sword
Sooner Born said:

Excellent post. Way to help out the OP.

Thanks. Just wanted everyone to know how badass I am.
Kool
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

I don't run in pants unless it's single digits

OK, I'm so busted I might as well come clean. The other day, I was sitting in my moms basement sipping hot cocoa with my boyfriend and our Shih Tzu. He was mad at me because I used the photo that I looked better in, as opposed to the one he looked better in, for our Winter Holiday E-card. He's getting all passive aggressive and won't take Sasha out to tinkle when he knows it's his turn. I think he is secretly hoping Sasha pees on Mom's favorite Louis XIV chair.
So out I go into the cold world with Sasha. The neighbor's toy poodle hears us and starts barking at Sasha. I know he only wants to play, but despite all the money we have invested in dog therapy, Sasha is horribly frightened and starts to run. I don't believe it's humane to have a leash on a fur baby, so now I'm running. Despite Man Caused Global Warming, it can still get frightfully cold and so I'm begging for TexAgs to help me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
Way too much detail to be made up.
Kool
AG
A mind is a terrible thing. What can I say?
BQ2001
AG
I wear these in the winter when it's about 25 and under. Probable overkill for Atlanta though.
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Nike_Mens_Therma_Run_Tight/descpage-NIMRTI.html

If you just want a base layer I'd check out targets c9 stuff. Decent for occasional use and cost effective
Kool
AG
Gracias. Could also use them to ski. Are they comfortable?
K Bo
AG
During their most recent garage sale I bought some REI brand merino wool base layers. I think I paid like $75 for a top and bottom.
gvine07
AG
I do Camp Gladiator (fitness bootcamp) in workout pants I got at Target (maybe the c9 stuff referenced above).

This morning I ran a mile in them at 38 degrees and have no complaints. I wear a pair of tight Nike stuff under the pants when its below 32 degrees, but those things are not comfortable for me to wear unless it's friggin' cold.
O.G.
Been working out of town near South Bend, IN lately. Running with a club on wednesday nights in temps that are in the teens and 20s. Some guys still run in shorts. Very bunlded up from there up though, including a beanine, ears covered etc.
coop-aero-06
AG
I moved from Texas to a colder climate about 3.5 years ago and when it gets below about 25 degrees I run in cheap Target-brand tights or cheap Head tights that I got at Ross.
EllisCoAg
AG
Go to Marshall's or something like it and you can pick up some name brands for less
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
Geriatric Punk
AG
geno said:

Go to Marshall's or something like it and you can pick up some name brands for less
Fully agree with this.

Also with the merino base layer from REI if you want to spend a little more. I personally can't stand the tight synthetic legging type stuff.

My wife got me some LuLu running pants. They are nice and all, but not really worth the sticker price.

Sooner Born
You're not actually supposed to workout in Lulu gear...you just wear it to brunch and to the store so that you look like you did.
12thman95
AG
2xu.com
Kool
AG
12thman95 said:

2xu.com

Really expensive stuff. What's so wonderful about it? Is it worth it?
12thman95
AG
Use them for ironman training. They almost never chaffe. Also they last quite a while if cleaned properly. I have some stuff over 6 years old with hundreds of miles on them and they still work and feel almost like new.
Kool
AG
Reviews are great. Gonna give it a try, thanks
Rudyjax
AG
Sooner born runs in wicked cold. He should know.
12thman95
AG
Oh, also they do have an online outlet where you can get stuff from last season for pretty cheap. The only issue is what sizes are available. You can also sometimes find their stuff on sale through amazon. Just make sure they are a prime member to avoid knock-offs.
O.G.
Set a PR yesterday for coldest run ever in shorts. 34degrees.
wbt5845
AG
I used the store brand leggings from Academy, BCG. But I don't wear them unless it's below 32 F or in 30s with wind blowing.
Sooner Born
Unthought Known said:

Sooner born runs in wicked cold. He should know.

I was just looking through my Timehop. Today is the 1 year anniversary of my coldest run...6.5 miles in -13dF. I had to quit because my eyelashes froze shut.
Kool
AG
Too LOLPOOR for laugh/cry emoticon, but inB4 Presley OBannons Sword calls you a p**** for quitting
Geriatric Punk
AG
Sooner Born said:

You're not actually supposed to workout in Lulu gear...you just wear it to brunch and to the store so that you look like you did.
Truth.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
coop-aero-06
AG
Kool said:

I was hoping to get some recommendations from H&F for a good, breathable, non-chafing base layer for running in the winter. Something that I could possibly also use when I need to take the dog out for a walk when it's cold, and take skiing. It's been a while since I bought anything for the lower body, and if I am going to keep the weight off and get in more running miles this winter, it's time I take one more excuse off of the table (it's too cold outside). I know every year there are newer and better (and more expensive) fabrics out there, and it is possible I could get Santa Claus to bring something to me if I get my list sent out soon. I live in Atlanta, so I'm talking about something sufficient for temperatures just a little below freezing. Could have used them this weekend with about 5 inches of snow on the ground and a puppy dying to roll around in it. Sorry if there is already a thread on this but I couldn't find anything that exactly matched what I wanted. Gracias por su ayuda.
Can't believe it took so long for this response, but:

Username checks out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.