Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The Flu!

2,661 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Geriatric Punk
Sooner Born
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tested positive for Influenza A on Friday after feeling like **** all week. Get your flu shots people! Don't be like me and put it off.
AggieOO
Flu shots don't work half the time anyway. I did get one though.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Looks like this year will be an H3N2 strain that's in the flu shot. Here's hoping it works
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sooner Born
Yep. The nurse told me it's even less effective than 50% but still...I feel like an idiot for not having some form of protection against it. Luckily I'm very healthy so it's no real threat other than feeling like **** and a few days of missed work.
Pahdz
Yeah yeah you just wanted an excuse to go up to Lutsen Monday instead of work!
Cliff Booth
AG
Got it last week. 102 fever and the whole bit. Never had a chest-related infection before. Tamiflu knocked the fever out, but I still feel like excrement. So dizzy. Sickest I have ever been.

Apparently they give the same vaccine in Australia as they do here. It has only been 10% effective.
DannyDuberstein
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Looks like this year will be an H3N2 strain that's in the flu shot. Here's hoping it works
Where did you see this? Everything I've seen so far is that they only expect this year's shot to be 10% effective.

Even if it doesn't work entirely, it's still supposed to help with the duration and severity of symptoms (in many cases).
ramblin_ag02
AG
was looking at this article showing H3N2 as the major culprit

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2017/12/09/more-good-news-for-2017-the-flu-season-is-likely-to-be-bad/#7cb9521a34a0

and the composition of the vaccine containing H3N2

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/11/09/2017-2018-flu-vaccine-update.aspx

So while the vaccine may not be wonderfully effective, even 10% is still better than nothing. We didn't completely whiff like some years
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
Sockity McSockinsock

Aggietaco
AG
I feel like everyone says this, but the last time I decided to get a flu shot, I got the flu - like laying in bed for 3 or 4 days drowning in Theraflu flu.

With a 4 month around I'm not sure if I should try and continue my streak of flu-free without the shot or get the shot this year.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
You have a four month old at home and have not had the flu shot yet?
Aggietaco
AG
Pediatrician said it wasn't necessary for me but strongly recommended for the wife and she got it.
KidDoc
AG
The flu shot sucks, we need a whole new vaccine for flu that doesn't target a part of the virus that mutates all the dang time.
Post removed:
by user
Aggietaco
AG
Didn't someone point out that the vaccine is only 10% effective, at best? And even then, that doesn't prevent one from carrying and transmitting the virus on your body, clothing, groceries, etc.

My main flu vaccination plan is being an introvert, however, after some more reading yesterday afternoon I got one last night.
KidDoc
AG
Aggietaco said:

Didn't someone point out that the vaccine is only 10% effective, at best? And even then, that doesn't prevent one from carrying and transmitting the virus on your body, clothing, groceries, etc.

My main flu vaccination plan is being an introvert, however, after some more reading yesterday afternoon I got one last night.
It is only 10% effective against a specific strain of Influenza A. The other 3 strains in the vaccine seem to be covered ok.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I don't know about the flu, but my whole family had some stomach something recently. Nasty nasty. Malaise, runs, puke. 48 hrs of real hell and then it was gone. Wash your hands.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.