Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

First Road Bike

1,493 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ktownag08
ktownag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been wanting to get a road bike for a while now and have been looking for deals to not break the bank starting out.

Any thoughts on a 2017 Diamondback Century Sport? Found one brand new for $399. Seems like it could be a good way to start cheap and upgrade components later should I like it.

Thoughts?
rao11010
AG
Where are you located?
ktownag08
AG
Houston
rao11010
AG
If you're open to looking at local dealers with other bike brands, I've always had a great experience with Jeff at Bay Area Schwinn (Pasadena Store). He's an Ag and sponsors the A&M Triathlon team. Very knowledgeable with all level of bikes.

As far as the Diamondback Century I have not personally heard about or seen much of them on the road. Sorry I could not be much help there.
P.U.T.U
AG
I would lean towards a used bike with quality parts rather than upgrading over time.
ktownag08
AG
Appreciate the replies. What's the best place to look for a used road bike? Craigslist, local shop, other?
Ragoo
AG
Katy bike barn
Tru tri sports
Northwest cycle

I bought my Specialized Allez off of TexAgs.

I've been to tru tri sports in cypress and would highly recommend them. Very nice people.
Swarely
I've got a Mercer Aero II that I've been thinking about selling. Let me talk with a bike friend and see what he thinks it's worth.
IslandAg76
AG
Lot of Houston area stores have used bikes.
Daniel Boone is one who (haven't been in couple years) used to have quite a few.
The Pasadena store mentioned is also good--bought my current bike there (New-Specialized).

I don't know much about DiamondBack bikes but think of them as a Target?WalMart brand.

When you have a budget would recommend a good used bike with reasonable quality of components. If it doesn't work well and it isn't fun it is another reason NOT to use it.
ktownag08
AG
Well a year has gone by, I didn't get anything, and I'm happy I waited...

Wife is now wanting to get in on the cycling fun so have the go ahead to get her and I something pretty decent.

Honed in on the following two frames:

Trek Domane Alloy (with IsoSpeed decoupler)

or

Cannondale Synapse (Aluminum)

Would either get Sora or 105 components depending on deal I can get, but more curious about feedback on the frames and if anyone has ridden or tested either.

AggieOO
Don't buy anything less than 105 components.
ktownag08
AG
Seems to be a lot of debate on this point.

What's your take as to why?
LOYAL AG
AG
Not sure all the backlash against Sora is justified at this point particularly for a first bike. 105 is a great gearset but for a first bike Sora is probably going to be fine. Last fall I bought a Trek bike with an aluminum frame and Sora gears and rode it pretty hard for a beginner including this years MS150 and the 70 mile loop in the St Joes charity ride in March. It rode well. I'm selling it now but only because my FIL gave me his road bike with carbon frame and Ultegra gears. My feeling after the MS150 was that I would likely replace that first bike this coming summer so I would have gotten two years and several long events out of a $930 bike with Sora gears. To me that's a good first bike. Had I not gotten this gift from my FIL I would have looked at about $2500 with carbon everything and 105's. But that was after I had decided I really enjoyed this sport and wanted to really commit to doing it long term. A lot of people will buy a first bike and after a big event like the MS150 they'll figure out this isn't for them. At that point I would rather be in a $1000 bike than a $2500 one.
AggieOO
Once you go below 105, you start seeing plastic. That obviously won't last as long. The lower quality components typically require much more maintenance.
LOYAL AG
AG
AggieOO said:

Once you go below 105, you start seeing plastic. That obviously won't last as long. The lower quality components typically require much more maintenance.
Where would you expect to see plastic? like i said I had good luck with my Sora gear set and I'm selling the bike but I'm curious as to where to look in case a future purchase leads me back here.

TIA
ktownag08
AG
Looks like the Sora v 105 debate won't come into play for me after all.

Found a new 2018 model Trek Domane with the IsoSpeed coupler and full 105 components on clearance for $600 off that just so happened to be in my size. Fit like a glove when I tested it out!

So what I was going to pay for the bike with Sora, I got one much better on a clearance offering through local shop! Also found a clearance model for the wife that she digs as well from same shop.

Xmas came early!

Note: I do appreciate the comments though. Happy I got out to a few shops and found a deal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.