Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Weight loss advice

3,684 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jopatura
Ags2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My better half has been trying for a long time to lose weight. We've tried just about everything. Last week she worked out (cardio) for 30-40 minutes all 7 days. Kept her calories around 1600 through eating a lot of veggies and chicken but to our despair she gained 5 more pounds. She's utterly frustrated because she's put so much effort in. Any advice? We think it could be stress induced weight gain but aren't sure how to combat it.
The Pilot
AG
How long has she been actively trying?

Is she really tracking her calories or is this just ballpark? If you don't track them, people usually eat more than they think.

Has she been cleared by a doc? Could be something health-wise countering her weight loss?
Ags2013
AG
She's been actively trying for months but the last couple of weeks she's gotten serious about it which is what is frustrating about further weight gain.

We keep track of the calories and keep it to where her doctor recommended.

We're doing some blood tests but the doc doesn't see any reason why she wouldn't be losing weight
AggieOO
here comes the argument whether or not a calorie = a calorie!
RangerRick9211
AG
The Pilot said:

How long has she been actively trying?

Is she really tracking her calories or is this just ballpark? If you don't track them, people usually eat more than they think.

Has she been cleared by a doc? Could be something health-wise countering her weight loss?
Good questions.

It's impossible to expend more than intake and still gain weight - conservation of mass and all that science jazz.

Either she's not tracking accurately or the 1,600 calories baseline is miscalculated.

Regardless of either, 1 week isn't enough time to see major results one way or the other.

Track with MFP and log weight/calories each day at exactly the same time to calculate her TDEE. Compare on a weekly basis, not daily and adjust. If she weighs more next Monday, either increase the deficit, move more or increase in the intensity of the movement.
bmks270
AG
Is she sneaking chocolate and not telling you?
BurnetAggie99
Stay under 1500 calories eating a high protein diet. I prefer the Atkins cause allows foods that have good fats. No carbs stay under 20 or less a day and no sugar at all. Continue moderate workouts during the week.
Ragoo
AG
pregnant?
AggieLAX
AG
What's her height and weight? Do you know the composition of her weight?
mrsbeer05
AG
When did she weight both times? I know my weight can change several pounds from AM to PM and pre/post workout.
Ags2013
AG
Not pregnant

5ft 0in

195lb

She is a pear shaped woman so the majority of the weight is in the hips.
Matsui
AG
Do some hiit workouts. Change it up
aggiespartan
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

When did she weight both times? I know my weight can change several pounds from AM to PM and pre/post workout.
Yep. I've had as much as a 7lb swing over the court of a day.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
need a consult with a (future) dietitian?

would love to help!

If your wife has tried everything in the book, my thought would be a metabolic/hormonal thing...like PCOS...
94chem
Intestinal blockage? Low diastolic blood pressure?
TXTransplant
This is purely anecdotal, but I'm a female, and when I first got serious about getting healthier and losing weight a few years ago, it literally took a couple of months before I saw the needle on the scale move significantly in the direction I wanted it to. It's not unusual for my weight to fluctuate by 3-5 lbs in any week. I think a lot of it is water weight, but I've even weighed myself before and after exercising (which usually consists of running anywhere from 3 to 7 miles) and weighed more after exercising than before.

Depending on the time of year, I'm down anywhere from 15-25 lbs from where I started (when I finally decided to lose weight, I was between 150-155, I bottomed out at 127, and I typically hover around 135, give or take a couple). I prefer to be 135 or less. When I exceed that weight and put for the effort to lose even just 2 or 3 lbs, it typically takes at least a month for the scale to consistently reflect my efforts.

As others have said, it takes more than a week to see results. If she puts forth consistent effort and still hasn't lost anything after 6-8 weeks, then I would start to worry.

Also, as a side note, at 5'6", I really have to make a concerted effort to keep my calories (after accounting for exercise) at 1200 or less if I want to lose weight, and that's even with running 20 miles a week and going to a group exercise class 2-3 times a week.
Know Your Enemy
AG
My best piece of advice is to smash the ****ing scale to bits.
P.U.T.U
AG
It is good that you are concerned for her health. Though there is a lot of background we do not know a BMI of 37.1 typically indicates that there are some health issues that will be involved if she cannot get it under control. BMI is not perfect but it fits the bell curve very well for most of the population.

If she has tried several things and nothing has worked I would go to a doctor that has a dietitian, physical therapist/trainer, and other health care experts that work together in the same facility. I live in the DFW area where I know of a few of them so they are out there. You go in for a screening and then work with each of the people that are able to help. The way it was explained to my wife (they do compounding RX and are he customers) is you would see the doctor and get your labs done, after the numbers come back you would talk to a dietitian about your diet (some even come to your house and throw out any bad foods and then go shopping with you), and then get workout plan with their trainer that fits your need.

Chris Kresser was on the Joe Rogan show the other day and was explaining an almost identical plan that he works with people on so they are out there. The ones I know in Dallas are cash only and not cheap but this is the best way I know to take out all the guess work by working with professionals. Keep us updated with how things go
Ags2013
AG
Quote:

need a consult with a (future) dietitian?

would love to help!

If your wife has tried everything in the book, my thought would be a metabolic/hormonal thing...like PCOS...
I'm sure she would love that. How could we get ahold of you?
aznaggiegirl07
AG
aznaggiegirl07
AG
did you get my email?
BBDP
AG
When you get sore, you retain more water..... working out differently will do that often.

Keep trying and encouraging.
shano0603
AG
Id say screw the scale and take measurements of arms,waist, legs, etc. maybe also some pictures. Much more telling of progress..
Hoosegow
CrossFit- yup i said it. CrossFit
Class of '94
Quinn
AG
Hoosegow said:

CrossFit- yup i said it. CrossFit
This would honestly probably be a great place to start. Would kick her butt, give her exposure to lifting and cardio, and give support through a class environment.
aggiejman
AG
Whole Foods
Plant Based

Walk 30 minutes per day.
Deputy Travis Junior
shano0603 said:

Id say screw the scale and take measurements of arms,waist, legs, etc. maybe also some pictures. Much more telling of progress..

This. The scale is useful for determining your weight neighborhood, but you shouldn't fret over a few pounds. I usually gain 3-5 pounds over the course of a day, and can gain even more if I eat a lot of salt.

If your wife actually stuck to what you said, I promise she didn't gain 5 pounds of fat in a week. That said, if she's only 5', she can (and probably should) drop lower than 1600 calories per day.
jack3d14
in addition to diet and exercise, she could use a fat burner supplement like blue star blade https://www.samedaysupplements.com/blade-by-blue-star-nutraceuticals-120-caps.html
P.U.T.U
AG
jack3d14 said:

in addition to diet and exercise, she could use a fat burner supplement like blue star blade https://www.samedaysupplements.com/blade-by-blue-star-nutraceuticals-120-caps.html

Very smart to recommend this to someone with weight issues since massive amounts and caffeine with who knows what heart condition always ends well. Supplements are not going to change a dang thing, only a lifestyle change
Diet Cokehead
AG
P.U.T.U said:

jack3d14 said:

Very smart to recommend this to someone with weight issues since massive amounts and caffeine with who knows what heart condition always ends well. Supplements are not going to change a dang thing, only a lifestyle change
Agree. Horrible idea. It's simple math. Burn more than you take in. You don't need any supplements. There are no magical fixes. Put in the work and diet discipline and the results with come.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Fat burner supplements is full of caffeine..."fat-burner" my ass
Astroag
AG
Ags2013 said:

She's been actively trying for months but the last couple of weeks she's gotten serious about it which is what is frustrating about further weight gain.

We're doing some blood tests but the doc doesn't see any reason why she wouldn't be losing weight
highly highly recommend she see a professional nutritionist...one that walks the walk and talks the talk. Its slightly more complicated that just counting calories and working out. Where are yall located?

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Astroag said:

Ags2013 said:

highly highly recommend she see a professional nutritionist...one that walks the walk and talks the talk. Its slightly more complicated that just counting calories and working out. Where are yall located?
see a dietitian, not a nutritionist
Mollie03
AG
36 year old female here and I have lost almost 30lbs in past 12 months with help of dietician and sticking to the plan even when results were slow at times. I am about 5 lbs from my idea weight at this point. My dietitian helped me learn how much to eat at first and eventually I went to full meal planning with her. I also do crossfit 4-5 days a week. Things I have learned: I can't workout enough to compensate for bad diet, eating quality, nutrient dense foods in the right portions 80% of the time leads to weight loss, slow weight loss over 12 months helped me solidify habits, finding a workout that I enjoy is best way to stick to it, High intensity intervals work better for me than running for miles a week or trying to figure out on my own what to do at the gym, variety works better for me than eating the same thing everyday, healthy food can taste awesome and I feel better when I eat that way. Honestly, I never took any supplements unless the protein powder in a breakfast smoothie counts. I also ate a balanced mix of carbs, fat and protein. Didn't do any of the popular diets (paleo, etc) because I wanted something sustainable and I can't live without beans, bread and dairy for the rest of my life. I eat about 1600 calories per day currently and will increase a little when I hit my goal. There isn't a one sized fits all approach and a dietician can help figure out what hers is. Mine also had me track my food for two weekdays and one weekend, literally everything I ate, as a starting point.

I recommend the dietician and checking on the potential medical aspects as well as patience and just keep making the next-best decision everyday.
jopatura
AG
Your better half is short. That's going to drastically affect the calories she needs to intake on a daily basis. She's never going to achieve "fast" weight loss because her TDEE is going to be low. Her sedentary TDEE is around 1800-1900 calories. To lose 1 pound a week, she needs to eat about 1300-1400 calories. At 1600 calories, if they aren't closely tracked, she's probably getting very close to maintenance everyday. New workouts will always lead to a week of extra water weight because the muscles will hold onto more water to aid in recovery.

If you are sure she has no hormone issues she needs to

Eat 1300-1400 calories a day. This needs to be closely monitored with a food scale. Don't assume packages have the right weight/per product. Measure everything that goes in the mouth in grams. It's more exact then oz.

Do not drink back your calories. Black coffee, Diet Coke/Pepsi, water. No alcohol.

Workout as much or as little as she wants. If she uses a fitness tracker, do not "eat back" exercise calories. Generally they way overestimate the calorie burn per workout. A good rule of thumb is 100 calories burned/mile if you're at anything less then a run (aka most gym elliptical cardio).

Weigh yourself every day at the same time. I personally weigh myself right after I wake up, before I eat or drink anything, and after I pee. Morning pee can literally add half a pound to my weight if I weigh myself first. Download an app like Happy Scale that will average weekly weights for you. I don't particularly care for any day to day number, but I track my weekly average closely. As long as my weekly average is lower week over week, I'm happy.

I've lost 35 pounds since July. I'll have lost 40-45 pounds by the end of 2017. I plan on losing 60-80 pounds next year. It does work, but you can't give up after a week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.