Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Slap Tear

1,773 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
Post removed:
by user
aggiederelict
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Recovery is slow at first. Be patient.
aggiederelict
How big is the tear?
Hoosegow
I can't give you advice on the surgery or recovery. I think you need to look at your life, what's important and what your future holds.

I was a good bencher, not world class but pretty damn good. My shoulder has been bothering me for about 8 months- some of you have heard my rant. Finally went to a good dr. One of about ten diagnoses is a SLAP tear. Bottom line- I'm 45 and need a complete shoulder replacement. I have 2 choices, quit powerlifting or keep at it and have to have surgery that much quicker. He said he'd like to fix the tear but there is nothing left to fix.

All I do is work and lift (an occasional whiskey drink). I'd give a lot to be able to have surgery and do what I love to do. But that's over.

I remember exactly when my shoulder started hurting. I asked how did I destroy my shoulder over such a short period of time. He said what probably happened was I had s SLAP tear playing football in high school and this is the result of 27 years of shoulder instability and heavy use. My shoulder, being as strong as it is the only reason why it was functioning the way it is supposed to.

My point, your shoulder is supposed to work a certain way. It's a complex joint and if not working correctly you accelerate damage. What's your activity level? You want to throw a ball with the grandkids?

Class of '94
Post removed:
by user
Hoosegow
PAy now or pay more later
Class of '94
Gordon Bombay
AG
Are you still in the Austin area?
Quinn
AG
I would go ahead with the surgery, especially if you have a surgeon that you trust and that has done good work on you before. You don't want this nagging you for the next 40 years.
AggieLitigator
I had slap tear surgery 11 years ago on left shoulder. I currently have one on my right. I rested for a few weeks and for the last month been doing physical therapy rehab. My range of motion is much better. It's made a lot of progress, but I can only bench if close grip with a rogue bar neutral grip. Can't do anything else chest wise really. My shoulder days are basically resistance bands now. And light dumbbells doing rehab moves not true lifts.

Doesn't affect my arms, back or lats. Just can't do any wide grip row stuff. Those body parts are easily worked around. I'm giving it until Christmas and then deciding. I'm likely headed to surgery myself. I just don't want to lose my gains from two years of disciplined lifting. But eventually if it doesn't get better to the point of being able to have normal chest days then I'm going to have no choice :/
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.