Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Tri off-season marathon training

1,076 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dill-Ag13
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Completed my first tri "season" this year,
3 sprints
2 olympics
1 HIM this past Sunday

Was originally looking at doing IMTX next year but don't have the leeway in my schedule to get the training in so I'm now looking at The Woodlands marathon next March instead.

I want to maintain my swim and bike fitness with one workout a week of each and run no more than 3 times a week for a total of 5 days a week of working out. The goal of the marathon would be to finish.

My schedule would go something like this, would like some feedback and/or some pointers towards tightening up the plan:
Monday: Short run / tempo run generally 3-5 miles
Tuesday: bike
Wednesday: 'sorta long' run 3 miles building up to 10 miles the week of the 20-miler
Thursday: swim
Friday/Saturday: long runs slowly building to 20 miles

Thoughts? Thanks for any feedback!
The Pilot
AG
I'm not a tri guy, but does having 1 bike and 1 swim/wk really do anything for maintaining any sort of fitness in those sports?
AggieOO
better than nothing. if he's just wanted to shorten his "ramp up" when he goes back to tri, then it'll work. Certainly won't maintain or build any sort of fitness or base with 1x week.
The Pilot
AG
If my goal is to improve my tri times, I think he'd be better served by ditching the swim and doing 2 bikes a week. Maybe swim once every two weeks? Bump up your runs from 3 to 4 runs a week.

You're likely to make up your biggest gains in tri from the bike and run, not likely the swim.
AggieOO
for me, the swim is the easiest for me to regress on. Unless I stay consistent, my stroke falls apart and efficiency goes to crap (even worse then it is when i'm swimming regularly). But, my background comes from the run and the bike, i didn't grow up a swimmer.

however, overall, i agree that the biggest gains are made on the bike and run.
wcb
AG
Attempting a marathon on three runs / week sounds like a good way to get hurt. Even Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan has you running 4x weekly. I used that plan for my first. I was about where you are progression-wise (few tris, no major distance yet). Post race was quite possibly the most I've ever hurt in my life. You will finish but it will be painful. Granted I was pushing the pace.

I would find a marathon plan and start there. Most will have 4-5 runs / week. I agree that I would personally prioritize a bike session over a swim. If you're wanting to only work out 5 days / week then use one of your run days (short / easy run day) to do a short run off the bike.
AggieOO
you can easily do it on 3x a week, especially with cross training., Google FIRST marathon training program.

You won't go throw down your best time or leave the course on fire, but you can finish feeling strong on 3 days if its structured right.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Thanks for the feedback guys. I swam in HS and have maintained decent swimming fitness with only one swim a week. Mostly just looking to mix it up.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll look into FIRST.
Ragoo
AG
I only did 2 sprints this year. Planning to do more plus at least Oly next year. Did you use a program to build to HIM? Ultimate goal is to get to HIM as a destination trip somewhere.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Yes, Level one plan from this book.

Plan can be bought here separately.

Highly recommend it for a basic no frills plan!
wangus12
AG
You can definitely run one on 3 runs a week if you have a solid cardiovascular base and cross training. I worked with a patient earlier this year that went sub 3:15 doing it. He is mainly doing a lot of mountain biking, but we got just dropped 3 days of running into his workout regimen. I will say that it wasn't his first marathon, so he knew the methodology behind pacing yourself at that distance and be successful.

Isn't the Woodlands marathon the one that went a mile long this past year because the lead bike went the wrong way?
AggieOO
Yes, they had issues.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Sure was... but it runs right by my subdivision so I'm digging that
Dill-Ag13
AG
Just thought I'd update this. Currently on the FIRST plan for the past 3 weeks and have enjoyed the cross training as well as the challenging nature of the program.

Weekly you do:
1. Speed work
2. A tempo run
3. A long run

With 2 bikes and one swim and I feel like I have a good balance for when Tri season picks up again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.