Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Workout Poll

1,668 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TommyGun
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you combine cardio with weights or do seperately?

A. Cardio/Weights in same workout session

B. Seperate Cardio and Weight sessions

Bonus: Post your BF % if you know it...
AgEng06
AG
I do crossfit, so A. Body fat ~12%.
Ragoo
AG
Generally separate. Sometimes I will swim and then go lift since I am already at the gym. Usually do cardio on weekends and lift after work. Week day cardio is swimming over lunch.

Idk my fat percentage because I typically eat whatever I want.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Lift, then cardio, then sauna usually 5 days/week. I try to do cardio/sauna on an least one of my "off" days.
Hoosegow
I don't know what you'd call what I do. 4 days is pure lifting programmed for powerlifting. The other 3 or for nothing else but my cardio health. However it is a Prowler/yoke bar/farmers Carry circuit that has several people hurl when they try it.
Prowler sled - 140 - 200 + Prowler weight
Yoke bar - 220 - 280 + yoke weight
Farmers - 147 - 167 x 2

The whole purpose is to get some HIIT and the weight is light so I done know if you'd call that a combo or cardio by itself.
Class of '94
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Mostly separate. Weightlifting in the morning, Yoga in the evenings. But when I do legs, I wouldn't call it HIIT necessarily, but I mix in squats with jump squats and the rest between is so short that your heart is pumping pretty fast for the 25 minutes it takes.
P.U.T.U
AG
A and B, but most of the "cardio" I do is running or sometimes swim. HIIT work is normally a mix
wangus12
AG
Combo of both as well. I'll mix in tabata when lifting and other HIIT stuff when lifting lighter weights. It also tends to depend on what I'm training for at the time.

BF is ~9-10%.
TommyGun
AG
Hoosegow said:

I don't know what you'd call what I do. 4 days is pure lifting programmed for powerlifting. The other 3 or for nothing else but my cardio health. However it is a Prowler/yoke bar/farmers Carry circuit that has several people hurl when they try it.
Prowler sled - 140 - 200 + Prowler weight
Yoke bar - 220 - 280 + yoke weight
Farmers - 147 - 167 x 2

The whole purpose is to get some HIIT and the weight is light so I done know if you'd call that a combo or cardio by itself.

I've been wanting to buy a prowler sled. I've heard Jim Wendler and Mark Rippetoe try to describe it and they say it's unlike any other conditioning tool out there and will leave you bent over a trash can in short order.
P.U.T.U
AG
Oh man I forgot about sleds, we used to kill ourselves with those in high school. Push, pull, one arm, two arm, etc.
Big Cat `93
AG
Weights and cardio 2 days a week, separate cardio and core workouts the rest of the week.
c-jags
i can't answer in A, B format.

i very rarely lift without cardio at start or finish.

but i cardio without lifting a lot.

i'm fat%
RG20
I am interested in the HIIT workouts. Does anyone have resources they could pass my way?
emando2000
AG
I do Crossfit also. This is generally how our programming is structured.
A) 5 Days a week we have cardio with weights. Our longest workout however is usually around 20 min and those only come around every now and then. The majority of our workouts hover around 12-15 min.
B) 1 Day a week, usually Wednesday is purely strength with no cardio at all.
10andBOUNCE
AG
RG20 said:

I am interested in the HIIT workouts. Does anyone have resources they could pass my way?
I'm a big advocate of Beach Body and specifically Insanity.
c-jags
10andBOUNCE said:

RG20 said:

I'm a big advocate of Beach Body and specifically Insanity.
i lost 80 lbs from insanity FWIW.
94DallasAG
AG
45 minutes or cardio followed by 45 minutes of weights - 6x a week.
DavidAg02
A
Around 16%
Wife is an Aggie
For reference: my experience is most people underestimate their BF%.

I don't mix the two. I try to lift 3 days a week and run 3/4 times a week. I'd fall in the 15-19 range right now. For years now I have eaten/drank as much and anything I wanted... The past month I have been actually eating pretty well and tracking calories for the most part and starting to really see good progress.
P.U.T.U
AG
What is the reason for asking this question?

And no way those body fat pictures are accurate
BlueSmoke
A - daily split workouts: Early (5am-ish+) it's high-intensity home workouts: Kettlebells + TRX Straps + Bodyweight exercises. Every day almost without fail. Quick & painful.

After work 3-4 days a week more weights driven. Not isolation exercises. As many compound strength exercises as I can manage: squats/deadlifts/cleans/dips, etc. with cardio as a big part (battle ropes, burpies, etc.). Also quick. Also painful.

6'4, 210 No clue about my BF%. Could care less. And if you are worried about this, start with your diet. It's as (if not more) important than your workout regime.

Keep a food journal. You'll be amazed at how much you eat/drink during the day.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
07fta07
AG
Mostly together but I'll split it out sometimes.
I'm in the 12-15% range right now. Going back for another measurement in about a month.
RG20
I guess my reasoning for asking is geared to see how folks approach programming, and its different results.
I know most people have different fitness goals and that will dictate what they do.
Maybe a better question should have been WHAT are your fitness goals and how do you program your workouts yo meet them?
Hoosegow
It's the only conditioning tool you need. It is hard so no one does it. It works but the advertising sucks. Imagine:

Are you fat?
Are you out of shape?
Are you weaker than a thirteen year old kyphotic girl?
Snap out of it!
For just $289 we'll send you the Econo Prowler.
With just 4 short 30 minute sessions a week, the fat will melt off. You'll have the butt that makes the opposite sex go DAYAM!
All you have to do is pushi it.

Sideeffectsincludenausealissofbreathtunnelvisionvomittinginabilitytowalkprofusesweatingandlyngonthegroundwithfullparalysis
Class of '94
TommyGun
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.