Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Thoughts on integrating running and CG

1,426 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hoosegow
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have always enjoyed running. I ran for many years and did several marathons and a lot of half marathons through the 90's.

15 years ago (I know LOL old) I moved back to Texas and quit all exercise altogether. WAY too many hours at work and kids activities. I ballooned from 210 to 290 over this time. I was not happy.

On January 1, 2016, I made a resolution to exercise more. Over the course of 2016, I lost about 30 pounds but plateued. I really could not run because I still weighed too much. I was bored with walking or biking. And I was doing no weight lifting, which I knew I needed to do.

So I started CG and it's been awesome. I now am in the 220's and an heading towards my target.

My question is about reintegrating running. I do CG four days a week in the morning. I have tried running on the off days and that goes fine. But when I run in the afternoons after CG, I have horrible times and my Achilles hurt like hell.

So I now only run on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, my non CG days. Respectively, I run 3 miles (at 80-90% race pace), 5 miles (decent pace) and 7 miles (slow pace). I've done this for a couple of weeks and feel good.

Question - can I reach my goal of doing another half marathon only running three days a week? At CG, we run some. I could always do some sprints after CG to "create" an extra running day if need be. Or should I cut back on CG? My goal of getting and staying fit is more important than running another half marathon.

I appreciate y'alls learned advice. My CG trainer is not much of a runner and hasn't had much good advice on this.
DavidAg02
If your goal is to run a half marathon, I think you best bet is to get on a half marathon prep schedule and work some CG in around that.
AggieOO
Is the goal to finish the half or are there time goals in mind?

There are marathon plans that only require 3 days of running, so you can definitely do a half on 3 days, assuming those days are structured properly.

Aggietaco does CG and has run marathons and at least one 50k. Not sure how he structured his workouts, but I'm sure he'll chime in.
wangus12
AG
Paging Unknown because I'm pretty sure he at least used to mix running and CG
Endo Ag
AG
CG?
P.U.T.U
AG
CG = camp gladiator

Running 3 days a week and CG 4ish is not a problem, like others have said there are marathon programs where you run 3 days a week. Honestly for overall health it sounds like a better plan than only running. You may not get a PR but you are setting yourself up to be in good health.

Others with more experience could help with a plan but I assume your CG days would be your intervals and the running days would be more about getting your mileage in. I know a few runners that cut back on their running to cross train and got faster when they got older.
07fta07
AG
Watching this because I'm doing CG 4-5 days a week and thinking about going for my first half marathon in March.

I enjoy CG more than running, but I'd like to set a new fitness goal that would be a challenge to meet and a half fits that bill. I'd be shooting for a sub 2 hour.
wbt5845
AG
So based on the advice so far, I downloaded the Hal Higdon three day a week running, 12 week program. Even in his program, he advises cross training on two of your non running days. So I'll CG four days and run three. Running days are short, medium and long, with the short day alternating between pace, tempo and normal runs. Medium ramps from 4 to 7. Long ramps from 6 to 10.

I start the program Nov. 6 aiming for a HM on Jan 28. This will be a a good program to be on over the holidays. I also plan on doing CG Fit to focus more on not eating so much crap.

I'll just work on my base with 3/5/7 mile easy runs until I start.

If I break two hours it'll be a miracle. My goal is a 2:20.
coop-aero-06
AG
I'd be interested to follow y'alls progress, so report back here if you don't mind. I'm just a runner, so I don't have anything to add to the conversation about mixing CG with running. But, I did get started running half/full marathons with the Higdon plans about 8 years ago. His plans are sufficient to get you through your first few races.

The one piece of advice that I would offer to anyone just getting into their first training plan is to remember not to race yourself during your workouts. When you're running your 6 mile run on that 2nd Saturday, it's going to be tempting to see if you can beat the time from your 6 mile run the week before. The most important thing is just to accumulate the mileage and build up that volume over the course of the 12 week plan. This is especially true if you're going to be doing CG stuff every day that you're not running. Your body will never be able to recover if you're out there hammering every run. Good luck!
wbt5845
AG
coop-aero-06 said:

The one piece of advice that I would offer to anyone just getting into their first training plan is to remember not to race yourself during your workouts. When you're running your 6 mile run on that 2nd Saturday, it's going to be tempting to see if you can beat the time from your 6 mile run the week before. The most important thing is just to accumulate the mileage and build up that volume over the course of the 12 week plan. This is especially true if you're going to be doing CG stuff every day that you're not running. Your body will never be able to recover if you're out there hammering every run. Good luck!
Thank you for that advice as I've already noticed myself doing that. I plan to just go for a certain pace for my long runs and keep on eye on my tracker as I run to sit on that pace.
Leeman
I've run several half marathons and I only run 3 times a week (2 short weekday runs and 1 long weekend run).
Rudyjax
AG
I used to run to CG when not in marathon training twice a week, and add a third or fourth day of running.

I wouldn't recommend running after, always before.We used to run to CG twice a week when not in marathon trianing. You can also arrive early and run before if you have no way of getting your stuff to camp.

It's really hard though to consistently do more than 30-40 miles a week and get in both. You never know what you're going to get before a workout. The last thing you want to do is run sprints with tired legs.

If you're training for a 1/2 and max run is around 11, you should be able to do both consistently.

So feel free to ask me any questions you may have.
wbt5845
AG
So here is my plan. As I said, I took the HH 3 day a week plan and modified it.

Orange means either I have an odd work schedule or am out of town. Green means I have that day off work or it's a holiday break. Colors are just to warn me of the pitfalls - I can make all these work.

I would have liked to do a 5K on Dec. 16 and the 10K on Jan 6 but there are no 10Ks scheduled that I can find on Jan. 6 in the DFW area. So I plan to do them earlier in the 12 weeks. If y'all know of one, let me know.

In short, I run three days a week and do CG 4 days, except for the weeks of races. I try to do the speed workout on Wednesday, the medium length run on Friday and long run on Sunday. The longest week I have is about 22 miles.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Rudyjax
AG
Just a quick glance and it looks very similar to what I did on a half not too long ago.
Hoosegow
Thanks Endo! I've been around a long time and had no clue.
Class of '94
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.