Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

New CPAP User

1,361 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jickyjack1
aggierandie02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was recently diagnosed with pretty severe sleep apnea. Mostly due to being overweight. I have been using my cpap for almost a month now. The problem that I'm having is that I seem to be sleeping better, but waking up is an even greater struggle than before the cpap use. I find it an absolute chore to get up in the morning, while constantly trying to find reasons to stay in bed. I had my issues before, but these symptoms seem to be greatly compounded now that I'm using the machine. Is this normal? If so, will it get better? I should not feel this tired after 8-9 hours of sleep. Any other suggestions to help with the transition would be greatly appreciated. I would also welcome suggestions on where to buy replacement supplies. TIA!
Kool
AG
Ask your DME supplier to give you (and your prescribing doctor) an early Compliance report. Perhaps you have a significant leak, or aren't using the machine as much as you think, or you are under or even over treated. The compliance reports can give a lot of info if you know how to interpret them. Your DME supplier also has a replacement schedule for masks, hoses, straps, etc. if you want extra beyond what your insurance company will pay for, I have my patients go onto localcpap.com. But eBay and other sites have the same stuff. Stick with it. Restudy or look into other diagnoses if daytime sleepiness persists after using COAP for 8-9 hours a night.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggierandie02
Thank you very much. I will reach out and request and early compliance report. It is very frustrating right now. I know that I need it, but I have been a side sleeper for many, many years now and this is a huge adjustment.
Kool
AG
Use Nasal Pillows with a side hose and sleep on your side. Fitting a mask is like fitting shoes, try on a bunch. Call the respiratory tech. A lot.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Diet Cokehead
AG
This might sound harsh, but the answer to your problems is not a machine, it's dedicating yourself to losing weight.

Over the years of traveling and drinking booze, I found myself way overweight and was snoring my wife out of the room, being told I had Sleep Apnea, and had high cholesterol, BP, and Glucose levels.

I spent the last 8 months dedicated to becoming a fit individiual again and am now down to 188 pounds (6'1"). Like magic, all of my numbers are in the ideal range and I no longer snore or have any apnea issues.

It takes dedication, but it's easy once you get momentum and see results. When I look back now, it's ridiculous to me that I was even considering using a machine to sleep instead of dealing with the root cause. Your weight issues are literally causing you to stop breathing in your sleep - the machine is not the long term answer and it's not natural to need a device to help you keep breathing while you sleep because you have extra weight on you.

Again, sorry to be harsh, but sometimes we need something to make the light bulb go off in our heads and maybe this will be it. Good luck!
Spore Ag
The Head is right as there is more long term physiological aspects with sleep than just restfulness. One needs to have your cranial glymphatic cleaned of amyloid that causes Alzheimer's which is done with long term uninterrupted sleep. So get your body changed i.e. loose weight, ck turbinets obstruction in your nose, and ask other professionals.
Kool
AG
You don't want to look at CPAP as your Long-term fix. However, untreated apnea causes oxygen free radical damage and increases the risk of heart attacks, strokes, cardiac arrhythmias, hypertension, fatal car accidents, and even the dreadful ED. Untreated apnea makes your leptin levels go down and your ghrelin levels go up, both of which will make your appetite increase and increase your weight gain. Look at CPAP as a bridge to a healthier future, another tool in your weight loss plan. Best.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I echo the weight loss. I was on a cpap for years. Finally got serious and lost some weight. I no longer snore (except when I drink a few too many beers).
Pro Sandy
AG
Highly recommend talking with your doctor. The machine could need adjusting to suit your apnea or there may be other issues.

I've been using CPAP for about 2.5 years. It has been a life-changer. I don't view it as only a bandaid until I lose weight. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 5 years ago and am within normal BMI. Using the machine has changed my life. I can't imagine sleeping without it anymore. For me, it only took until I got my first night's rest of at least 4 hours with the machine on that I felt a difference. That took a few weeks.

Loosing weight sounds like a good thing, but don't assume that just because someone has apnea, they are overweight and causing it to themselves.

Or maybe you're just lazy. Get up!
jickyjack1
One of the best things that ever happened to me was starting a CPAP. I don't think I'd be alive had I not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.