Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anyone ever have one of those runs?

2,481 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Whitetail
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unthought Known said:

Sometimes the HR moniter lies. Today it showed I worked harder than Saturday's run, but the only time I felt any discomfort was when I intentionally picked up the pace. So weird.
I think mine might be off a bit most of the time. It could be that I'm not wearing it tight enough or loose enough, but most of these things aren't made for my tiny wrists.
htxag09
AG
Is the Apple Watch compatible with the chest HR monitors?
aggiespartan
AG
htxag09 said:

Is the Apple Watch compatible with the chest HR monitors?
I don't think so. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Garmin soon, though. I really don't even look at my heart rate during a run though. It's mostly afterwards on Strava that I look. The only time that I've looked midrun was on the one run where I felt absolutely terrible, and it wasn't much different than a regular run.
mrsbeer05
AG
I use a Soche rythm. It goes on my upper forearm. I think it gets better contact than a watch based on would, because I too have tiny wrists.
Rudyjax
AG
Saw this today on an article about 5 marathon trianing mistakes:

Quote:

Panicking After A Bad Workout
You are going to have a really bad workout in marathon training. In fact, you're probably going to have a few. Unfortunately, even when you know this, a bad workout is still damaging to the psyche. You start to question your fitness. Are you working too hard? Not hard enough? Will you be ready for race day?
The result of this over thinking is that you panic, which usually results on you doing something stupid, like trying to make up the workout the next day or running extra hard during your next session to "make up" for the bad day.
However, this is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. It almost always results in overtraining, injury and will have detrimental, compounding effect on all your upcoming workouts.
What To Do
Don't panic, and remember that having a bad workout is a normal part of marathon training. The best approach is to examine why you had a bad day and try to fix that problem before your next session. Did you not fuel well? Not get enough sleep?
Make sure you address these more important factors to ensure more consistent workouts over the long-term. Moreover, look for lessons in the negatives. Did you run too hard on your easy days? Was your pacing off? Learn from these lessons and make your next workout count.

Read more at http://running.competitor.com/2014/08/training/common-marathon-training-mistakes_79755/4#9s3BbV82fK5C7x7F.99
Rudyjax
AG
Also another good article.

https://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/marathon-training-doldrums-how-to-evaluate-bad-workouts/

AgEng06
AG
NoahAg said:

Bad runs.

sorry

I'm sorry too...
Rudyjax
AG
When are those runs ever good?
trip
AG
Bad runs happen. For me it usually could be traced back to food I ate the night before. Garbage in=Garbage out.
c-jags
had a terrible one yesterday. i had it in my mind to shoot for a new (non-race) 5k PR. normally i hate running for the first mile, then my body and breathing settles in and i can go forever. just never happened.

knee hurt, then hamstring hurt, then achilles... and i'm not injury prone at all. i never caught my breath either.

i ended up taking so many breaks i ran out of road at 3 miles and didn't even want get the extra .1 to make it a 5k.

all that to say... bad runs happen.
Whitetail
AG
Could have been bad air quality...during hotter times of the day, when ozone is up, I can't catch my breath no matter what.

Maybe that's a San Antonio thing?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.