Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anyone ever have one of those runs?

2,465 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Whitetail
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yesterday, I got a late start as I had to run a workout.

It was hot and sunny, and we started out fast. But by mile 6 I felt horrible. I couldn't get my breath and had to walk. HR in the 170s at a "slow" pace. I walked. Then ran and less than 3/4 of a mile same issue. It kept happening. I told my partner to go ahead as I was killing his run. I ended up walking .1 running .4 and at the end of the run part I felt like I had been sprinting. I stopped and got water and had .65 miles to get to 12 and call it a day. That .65 miles was slow as hell and yet when I stopped at a light I was having trouble keeping my breath.

Any thing like this happen to anyone else? Just one of those days?

I have to make up 5 today so instead of 8 I'm doing 13.
The Pilot
AG
Bad runs happen to everyone, just let it go. If you don't have a bad run or race, you likely haven't ran long enough or pushed yourself enough while racing.
AggieOO
The Pilot said:

Bad runs happen to everyone, just let it go. If you don't have a bad run or race, you likely haven't ran long enough or pushed yourself enough while racing.
this.

but also, i rarely "make up" mileage. if you miss it, move on. Most of the time, making up mileage causes you to have to adjust other workouts.
mrsbeer05
AG
I agree with the guys above. I've had several really really bad runs this year and you just have to shake them off.
Rudyjax
AG
I just made up the mileage. Much better. Probably 25 degrees cooler helped.

Plus I went off road on a trail for the first time.
P.U.T.U
AG
You have bad workouts and you learn to figure out why. Sometimes a day off is all you need
Rudyjax
AG
It was horrible.

ptothemo
AG
I'm a pretty firm believer in psychology in a lot of things but a really firm believer in the psychology of sport - running included. Sports psychologists will tell you to find a way to learn something (maybe just one small thing, but that's fine) from the run and move on.

I use a day planner for my training plan and record my activity each day along with the plan. I use my Garmin app, too, but there is something affirming about writing it down for me. Being said, there are days that are physically missing from that planner. They were bad runs, and they are in a landfill somewhere now. I drop them in the trash can - typically one right by the trail - the next morning when I head out again. Done, gone, the hell with them, on to the next one.
wcb
AG
I tend to have one of those days about once a week. PUTU says it's because I'm getting old.
The Pilot
AG
As our AD said maybe you need to "manage expectations".
wangus12
AG
Any trouble with your run today. Yesterday was hot so hopefully its just an off day.

I had a patient in two weeks ago with similar symptoms that were recurring day after day and turns out he was breaking into SVT during his run (although he didn't have a HR moniter like you) and following it up with A-fib when the tachy broke.
Rudyjax
AG
No problems today. I think I may have started dehydrated and continued as I became more and more dehydrated.

Rudyjax
AG
Yesterday. "Fast" start but died at mile 6. Couldn't get the HR down. The first dip is when I first walked. The last 5 miles are all walk and run but HR never goes down.

Today. Easy the entire time with a ton of hills. Finished much faster than I planned.

Presley OBannons Sword
OP, I'm with you. It seems like every month or two I have an inexplicably bad workout. I'm not doing a lot of distance running right now, but back when I was marathon training last year I had runs exactly like the one you described. It's incredibly frustrating, and leaves you wondering if something is just wrong with you that makes you run worse than other people. I agree with the other posters that you shouldn't make up mileage. Just disregard those workouts as anomalies, and push on to the next one.
P.U.T.U
AG
Try using something like TrainingPeaks where they calculate load levels. WCB is probably much more versed in this but it calculates your training load and fatigue load. There are a lot of articles about how to plan and what it all means (Friel has a few books on it). I rarely had those "bad" days when these loads were evaluated and my diet was on.

Rudyjax
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Try using something like TrainingPeaks where they calculate load levels. WCB is probably much more versed in this but it calculates your training load and fatigue load. There are a lot of articles about how to plan and what it all means (Friel has a few books on it). I rarely had those "bad" days when these loads were evaluated and my diet was on.

Thanks... diet, hydration, sleep, and the 2nd week of the 2nd more miles of my life may have had something to do with it.
Presley OBannons Sword
also, do not discount the heat and humidity. they can and will absolutely destroy a run. anytime I have a really bad run like that, I check the dew point. if it's over 70 (which it often is in Houston in the summer) you can expect your runs to really suck.
aggiespartan
AG
I have these days pretty frequently, although I'm just not that good at running. My max heart rate is almost always in the 180s.
The Pilot
AG
Are you saying every run your HR gets into the 180s? If so, you are running too fast. Slow down and you'll likely enjoy running more. You are basically redlining every workout.
Ragoo
AG
aggiespartan said:

I have these days pretty frequently, although I'm just not that good at running. My max heart rate is almost always in the 180s.
agree with Pilot. you are running too fast. you need to slow down and build a better aerobic base before picking up the pace. you will see your HR adjust.
aggiespartan
AG
Ragoo said:

aggiespartan said:

agree with Pilot. you are running too fast. you need to slow down and build a better aerobic base before picking up the pace. you will see your HR adjust.
I literally don't know how to run any slower without walking. It doesn't stay in the 180s but it does hit it almost every run.
P.U.T.U
AG
It's easy...run slower
Ragoo
AG
aggiespartan said:

Ragoo said:

aggiespartan said:

I literally don't know how to run any slower without walking. It doesn't stay in the 180s but it does hit it almost every run.
where is the HR sensor? Do you feel your body struggle or are you just seeing the feedback on a watch?
aggiespartan
AG
Ragoo said:

aggiespartan said:

Ragoo said:

aggiespartan said:

where is the HR sensor? Do you feel your body struggle or are you just seeing the feedback on a watch?
Apple Watch through Strava. Sometimes I'm feeling pretty good after a run. I've really only had 1 run where I felt completely horrible, but I do normally feel tired after my longer runs, but I've been chalking that up to my body not being acclimated to this kind of thing. It's never been easy for me, though. Only this summer have I even been able to run a steady mile. I started from 0.
aggiespartan
AG
P.U.T.U said:

It's easy...run slower
Then I would be walking.
Ragoo
AG
aggiespartan said:

Ragoo said:

aggiespartan said:

Ragoo said:

aggiespartan said:

Apple Watch through Strava. Sometimes I'm feeling pretty good after a run. I've really only had 1 run where I felt completely horrible, but I do normally feel tired after my longer runs, but I've been chalking that up to my body not being acclimated to this kind of thing. It's never been easy for me, though. Only this summer have I even been able to run a steady mile. I started from 0.
I know for me if my HR gets to 180 I can physically feel a shift in my endurance. I feel a little light headed, like I can barely go on. i feel that way before even checking my watch to confirm my HR is elevated. if you don't physically feel that way during a run then it could be the sensor is not reading your HR correctly.
aggiespartan
AG
Ragoo said:

aggiespartan said:

Ragoo said:

aggiespartan said:

Ragoo said:

aggiespartan said:

I know for me if my HR gets to 180 I can physically feel a shift in my endurance. I feel a little light headed, like I can barely go on. i feel that way before even checking my watch to confirm my HR is elevated. if you don't physically feel that way during a run then it could be the sensor is not reading your HR correctly.
I don't feel that way. I wouldn't say I'm at a conversational pace through the entire run, but I can talk in short sentences.
P.U.T.U
AG
Then walk, when it goes back up walk again. Or do intervals
Phat32
AG
Try to learn something from the bad workouts. It's usually one of these things:

- diet change?
- too much of a training load?
- heat/humidity?
- lack of sleep?
- sick?

I can almost always tell if I'm getting sick by weird heart rate data a day or so out.
monarch
S
Then when you have one of these "bad runs" you think, maybe I should just stop running altogether?
Peace for Ukraine!
Rudyjax
AG
rasher said:

Try to learn something from the bad workouts. It's usually one of these things:

- diet change?
- too much of a training load?
- heat/humidity?
- lack of sleep?
- sick?

I can almost always tell if I'm getting sick by weird heart rate data a day or so out.

Pretty sure it was a combo of dehydration, heat, sun and milesage.
Rudyjax
AG
monarch said:

Then when you have one of these "bad runs" you think, maybe I should just stop running altogether?

Yes. I told my running buddy I was retired.
NoahAg
Bad runs.

sorry
The Pilot
AG
Well, lock this thread. Noah ruined it.
Rudyjax
AG
Sometimes the HR moniter lies. Today it showed I worked harder than Saturday's run, but the only time I felt any discomfort was when I intentionally picked up the pace. So weird.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.