Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Former runner needing advice

2,702 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CaveDwellinAg
ag0207
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I gave up running about a year & a half ago because of persistent plantar fascitis. I did the exercises, wore the brace, & rested. My foot would feel great but as soon as I went back to running it was back (even if I took extended time off).

My hope is to one day get back to running but for now I am looking for advice on a substitute. I have been looking at various cardio "machines" and would like to hear what you guys have found to be effective. Criteria being something I can do at home that will keep me in good cardio shape.

My current front runner is a rowing machine. Are these really that good? Any recommendations on any specific units? Other suggestions for a good machine for cardio would also be appreciated (does not have to be a rowing machine).

Thanks
P.U.T.U
AG
What are your goals or why are you wanting to do cardio?
ag0207
AG
Overall health. Running has always kept my weight down, kept my blood pressure low & cholesterol in check. All of those are slowly starting to creep up without me running.
aggiederelict
Did you try custom orthotics for your PF? Sometimes that can be a big help for stubborn PF. I would say a rowing machine would be great for now or a bike on a trainer at home to get some good cardio.
Hoosegow
Swimming
Class of '94
ag0207
AG
I suck at swimming & I would have trouble doing it in the winter.
P.U.T.U
AG
Most of the recent studies are showing that HIIT is better than slow, sustained workouts like running. Dr. Martin Gibila has been doing studies on overall health and say 30 minutes 3 times a day is healthier than running at a slow pace for 1 an hour 3-5 days a week (cholesterol, glucose, etc.). If you want to incorporate something like a rower that is a good idea but you do not need any equipment to get this done (I would choose a kettlebell or small weights over machines). The key is to go around 80%, rest, and repeat.

Burpees, mountain climbers, push ups, sit-ups, squats, jump rope (not sure with your foot), biking or running sprints, swimming, flutter kicks, box jumps, kettle bell work (swings, snatches, get-ups)

Key thing is just do something, if you like it you are more likely to stick with it. There is nothing special about it, do the work and watch your diet
Big Cat `93
AG
I've already decided that I'm going to start swimming if I ever have to stop running. I taught myself how when I was a kid, though, so I'll have to take lessons first.

I'm not a strong swimmer.
NoahAg
I think it comes down to what you are more likely to dedicate yourself. I would think rowing would be an all-around awesome working. Both cardio and toning/strength. Rowers are pretty cut. Would you dedicate yourself to rowing consistently? Or would it become like most people's treadmills?

I'm dedicated to running - but only because I do races. If I didn't run at least a couple of races per year, it would be hard for me to stick with it (i.e., I wouldn't run regularly just for the sake of running).
TommyGun
AG
I'd look into strength training. It would probably help your running, as well.
coop-aero-06
AG
ag0207
AG
coop-aero-06 said:

That's the plan
befitter
Cycling
claym711
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Most of the recent studies are showing that HIIT is better than slow, sustained workouts like running. Dr. Martin Gibila has been doing studies on overall health and say 30 minutes 3 times a day is healthier than running at a slow pace for 1 an hour 3-5 days a week (cholesterol, glucose, etc.). If you want to incorporate something like a rower that is a good idea but you do not need any equipment to get this done (I would choose a kettlebell or small weights over machines). The key is to go around 80%, rest, and repeat.

Burpees, mountain climbers, push ups, sit-ups, squats, jump rope (not sure with your foot), biking or running sprints, swimming, flutter kicks, box jumps, kettle bell work (swings, snatches, get-ups)

Key thing is just do something, if you like it you are more likely to stick with it. There is nothing special about it, do the work and watch your diet

Did you mean to say 30 mins 3 Times/Day or 3 Times/Week?

Because....uh.....no joke 30*3*7 beats 60*5. Haha
P.U.T.U
AG
30 minutes 3 times a week. Start with 1 min on, 1 min rest and work yourself up to longer intervals with shorter rest. This is for general health, not trying to be the best athlete you can be
CaveDwellinAg
AG
Rowers are great - and you get a quicker cardio fatigue when using arms instead of legs.

Swimming is an excellent one.

If I may ask, when you attempted to return to running, how quickly did you increase your workload? (Give example of how many miles per day after how many weeks, if you can.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.