Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anyone here with experience in adolescent mental health residential facilities?

1,181 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OldAg92
OldAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 17-year-old daughter is suffering some pretty tough mental health issues, and we are looking for a residential treatment center for her. I've been exhausting every resource I can, and have learned that the mental healthcare system in Texas has basically no options for adolescent residential care -thus, we are looking out of state.

So far, the two facilities that have been recommended to us are Center for Discovery (California) and Timberline Knolls (Illinois). I have spoken to both facilities and also read all the online reviews I can find - most of which are not good. I'm taking a shot in the dark here hoping that someone has experience with one of these two places, or can recommend another. This is an excruciatingly difficult decision for our family, and I just want to turn over every possible stone before we decide where to seek treatment.

Thanks in advance
Joan Wilder
AG
Look into some of the programs at the University of Utah

https://healthcare.utah.edu/uni/
The Grinder (99)
AG
What kind of program are you looking for? Substance use? Eating disorder? Mood/behavioral problem?
OldAg92
AG
Mood/behavior as primary issue (going back many years) with very recent substance abuse as a co-occuring issue. The substance abuse has only been in the last 8 weeks and is a symptom of the underlying illness.
Ragoo
AG
Best to your family. Watching my parents go through similar with my sister's eating disorder was rough.
94DallasAG
AG
Wish you the best OldAg.

It can turn around - seen it myself..
ellebee
94DallasAG said:

Wish you the best OldAg.

It can turn around - seen it myself..

Yes it can. I have as well.
AlphaBean
AG
Still around, OldAg? I work with a few hundred behavioral health IP, PHP, IOP, OP, and RTC facilities across the country, many of which are child/adolescent.
OldAg92
AG
Email sent - thank you
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.