Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2018 H&F Goals

6,989 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gd28
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
-Fully rehab from hamstring injury suffered in late October. I'm at about 85 percent now-- only feel it when distance running-- making me slower.
-Keep doing legs workouts (not counting dist running) 2+ days a week-- been doing buns of steel a video a ton and has helped with hamstring rehab.
-Lose at least 5 more pounds (sub 190) re-started working out regularly at 208 last May.
-ramp back up running to at 3 times per week 5+ miles each
-Gain further upper body muscle (starting lifting regularly last October after my injury shut running down)
-Eat sensibly- more salads, less snacking/stuffing myself
-set a PR on a half marathon. Sub 1:50 time.
aggiespartan
AG
My tentative goals are:
600 miles for the year
consistent 5k under 30 minutes
10k under 1:00
and PR half
Lily09
AG
This year will be different. I usually make it a goal to lose weight. Not this year.

- Have a heathy pregnancy. Due in the Summer.
- Continue to workout as I can tolerate. I'm so tired and my job tires me out enough.
- Eat healthier during pregnancy. Carbs have been my bff over the last few weeks.
AggieLitigator
Avoid surgery on my torn labrum while still training with exercises I can do
Lose 10 lbs while keeping all muscle
ptothemo
AG
I've been holding off on this as I finish out 2017, but my overall framework goals....

--Continue to eat right (about 90% vegetarian now and my diet is way better than it has ever been before)
--Maintain healthy weight (have been at 165 to 170 for a few months now and it's a good weight for me)
--Maintain continuous sobriety for entire year
--Run 2018 miles for the year
--Two or three fulls run well and not just battled through (already registered for Austin in February and I know I will be back for BCS in December; may find another one somewhere in between)
--Break 1:38 in the half (current PR is 1:45)
--Break 43:00 in the 10k (current PR is 47:21)
--Break 21:00 in the 5k (current PR is 23:15)
--Integrate more strength training into my weekly routine after the road racing season (to be better defined in the next couple months)

I have a mantra of "win the day". It may be a bit cliche, but I want to win 365 days next year and just see where it all shakes out from there.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Lost 19 lbs in 2017. Lose at least 10 more.
Drink WAY less alcohol. Take a break from it.
Over 100 rides on my road bike.
Ag Eng 92
AG
Love this thread every year... didn't put anything down for 2017 and had a productive year...

~5:35 70.3 in May
~14:30 140.6 in September (major cramping problems)
~paced 13.1 for the 2:00 Group
~21:30 in 5k at BCS turkey trot
~ Started CrossFit about 3 weeks ago at company gym

For 2018:
Run a sanctioned spring marathon (haven't registered for that distance since 2013). Would love ~3:30.
Complete a self-organized 70.3 with buddies in May
Build strength in CrossFit class- PRs should be easy
Weight got down close to 200 at 140.6, would like to get back there.
~800 miles on foot, 800 miles on bike, 30 miles in water.
?
Kool
AG
Username Czechs out!

My goals are to complete an Olympic triathlon without drowning (?redundant?) and to keep the 20# I lost this last year from re-appearing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
Day 1 folks!

I'll post my goals Friday, as I'm waiting on the results of a race lottery.
texagco2003
AG
2018 Goals

• Drop 20 lbs and hold weight under 210
  • Lift 3x weekly
  • Achieve next belt level in Krav Maga
  • WAY less alcohol
dave99ag
AG
Not suck as a parent and hop on the bike when I can.

Became a foster parent two weeks ago to a 3 month old girl that was severely beaten. Hopefully we'll become her forever family in 2018.
Ragoo
AG
dave99ag said:

Not suck as a parent and hop on the bike when I can.

Became a foster parent two weeks ago to a 3 month old girl that was severely beaten. Hopefully we'll become her forever family in 2018.
awesome!
c-jags
I'm about to have a big fat Pizza. It's my anniversary so I get to do WTF I want.

start the new year off right.

tomorrow.
coop-aero-06
AG
I found out today that I was selected for the lottery for the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 mile run, so that will be a big part of my year. I'll post more about the year when I'm not on mobile.
AggieOO
Congrats!
kbw01
AG
Run 1000 miles. Hit 15000 steps a day.
Complete a marathon
PR half sub 1:55 I'm slow
Lose 30 lbs and keep it off
Lift

That is dependent on possible rotator cuff surgery
Kyle
coop-aero-06
AG
2017 was a really good year for me with PR's at the 5k, 10k, half, marathon (including my first BQ), and 50k. However, I had my first ever DNF in my first attempt at a 100k which would have been a WS100 qualifier. You always hear football coaches talk about how they remember the tough losses more than they remember the good wins, and that's sort of how I feel: I'm still really ticked off about that DNF.

So the primary goal of 2018 is to get a WS100 qualifier, which will require me to complete my first 100k, and I'd like to build up to that in a much smarter way than I did last year.

That being said, I did accept an entry into Boston this year, so the majority of the winter/spring will be focused on that. So right now, the year is shaping up like this.

Jan 1 - Kingwood Half - Done, with a new half PR
April 16 - Boston Marathon
June 2 - Bishop High Sierra 50 Mile - Absolutely not setting a time goal for this race. Just run smart, and get my first 50 mile race done.
July 21 - Tahoe Rim Trail 50 Mile - This is a really challenging course, but it's close to home so I should be able to train on the actual course quite often, and I want to compete as best I can.
August 18 - Waldo 100k - I'm putting in the lottery for this race, which will hopefully be my WS100 qualifier. It'll be a relatively quick turn-around from TRT, so we'll see how that goes. I'll probably dial back the effort at TRT if I do get into this race.

If I don't get into Waldo, then I'll have to find something else in the Fall. Good luck to everyone in 2018!
AggieOO
ok, well got the acceptance email to San Diego 100, so...

1/27 - Goodwater Trail Marathon
2/11 - Have a non-race challenge/goal. I'll come back and update.
3/3 - Mesquite Fire 50K in South Texas
4/21 - Wild Canyon 100K
4/27-28 - Sixth Straight MS150
5/12 - Cactus to Clouds 50K (NM)
6/6 - San Diego 100 miler (WS qualifier)

I still have my entry to Never Summer 100K at the end of July, but there's a 99% chance I'm not going to be able to make that race, hence the reason I'm headed to SD.

after the 100 miler...i have no idea. I'm only planning the first half of the year at this point.
coop-aero-06
AG
Congrats on getting into SD100. I ran some of those trails last year during the Cuyamaca 100k, it's a beautiful area.
h1ag
AG
Ive set several goals, but the most specific are tied to my next race.

Toronto Goodlife Marathon: May 6th
-will be my first time doing two marathons in a row (took a 3 year hiatus after my first)
-3:30 (7% time reduction)
-no dip (so good, so far)
-2 months dry leading to the race

Then find a fall race all of my Corps buddies will/can run together. MCM was their first instinct, on account of them all being Marines, but something like Dallas is more likely.
drivinwest
AG
Do an event a month. I've got 4-5 50ks on the calendar. May tack on a longer distance if I man up.
nu awlins ag
AG
Quote:

Do not go back to daily 2-4 (or more) beers.
I throw a few back after every workout. One regular beer and the other a bud light with the tomato/lime in it. The salt tastes good. Of course I follow up with two 12oz bottles of water. My goal, at my age, maintain 500lb squat, 350 bench, and the hard 20 minutes on the rowing machine. As well, maintain my weight which hasn't been hard, but still good to keep an eye on it.
coop-aero-06
AG
The race lotteries were very, very kind to me this year. I got into the TRT 50 mile, the NYC Marathon, and the Waldo 100k. After I got drawn for NYC and Waldo this week, my race calendar is basically filled out for the year.

1/1 - Kingwood Half - Done, with a new half PR
2/24 - Salmon Falls 50k - Done, but pretty disappointed with the race. So I turned around and signed up for....
3/3 - Way Too Cool 50k - quick turnaround after Salmon Falls. But I sort of just mailed it in last week after about 22 miles so my legs still feel pretty fresh.
4/16 - Boston Marathon
5/19 - Silver State 50k - It's in my backyard and it's 2 week before my 50 miler so it'll be a good training run.
6/2 - Bishop High Sierra 50 Mile - Absolutely not setting a time goal for this race. Just run smart, and get my first 50 mile race done.
7/21 - Tahoe Rim Trail 50 Mile - This is a really challenging course, but it's close to home so I should be able to train on the actual course quite often, and I want to compete as best I can.
8/18 - Waldo 100k - WS100 qualifier. Need to finish under 17 hours.
11/4 - NYC Marathon

It's going to be a very busy year, but I'm knocking out 3 bucket list races (Boston, TRT, NYC), and Waldo is supposed to be an amazing experience too.
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

3/3 - Way Too Cool 50k - quick turnaround after Salmon Falls. But I sort of just mailed it in last week after about 22 miles so my legs still feel pretty fresh.
This is typically a pretty stacked field, no?

Good luck tomorrow. I'm running a 50K tomorrow as well, but mine will be a little easier with less than 800 ft of climbing on the entire course! Then again, it's going to hit almost 90 and will be about 70% humidity, so...
coop-aero-06
AG
AggieOO said:

coop-aero-06 said:

This is typically a pretty stacked field, no?

Good luck tomorrow. I'm running a 50K tomorrow as well, but mine will be a little easier with less than 800 ft of climbing on the entire course! Then again, it's going to hit almost 90 and will be about 70% humidity, so...
Yeah, WTC usually draws a pretty good elite field. Scroll down to the bottom for a run-down of the favorites: https://www.irunfar.com/2018/02/this-week-in-running-february-26-2018.html

Walmsley is in town to crew for Jared Hazen.

It's going to be an absolute mud-fest though. I hope I can stay somewhat dry and warm.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Would like to get to <15% BF. I was at 27% at 171 lbs. Taking another hydro test tomorrow to see what I'm at now (159 lbs).

Using the American Council on Exercise equation, Desired body weight = Lean body weight/(1-desired body fat percentage), that puts me at about 145 lbs.
I hit 14.5% BF at 148 lbs. Still skinny-fat, but getting much better.

Now, I'm looking to stay at the same-ish body fat while adding muscle.

I'd like to be 158 lbs and <15% BF by September.
AggieOO
Well, time to update and I can share info now, which explains some changes and another change coming. I'm tired of eating race registration fees.

1/27 - Goodwater Trail Marathon - done, finished 4th overall
2/11 - Have a non-race challenge/goal. I'll come back and update. this was the OML FKT attempt. failed. Something was off and didn't want to risk it.
3/3 - Mesquite Fire 50K in South Texas - done, finished 3rd overall.
4/21 - Wild Canyon 100K
4/27-28 - Sixth Straight MS150
5/12 - Cactus to Clouds 50K (NM)
6/6 - San Diego 100 miler (WS qualifier) I won an all-expense paid trip to Hawaii due to being top 200 salesperson worldwide at work. Just happens that it overlaps with SD100.
6/16 - Mohican 100 (WS qualifier) - i'm still doing research on this race, but its the only one that fits my schedule.
8/2ish - the world changes. Kid #1 shows up.

I had originally signed up for Never Summer 100K, but then found out it was about 4 days before my wife's due date, so I had to eat that registration fee. Then got into SD, and I'm now eating that fee, though at least I can get a partial refund.
coop-aero-06
AG
A trip to Hawaii will be a nice taper week for a 100 miler.
htxag09
AG
htxag09 said:

• Maintain a weight under 170 - Currently at 175 (I blame a two week vacation)
  • Run 1,000 miles - Currently at 1,500
  • PR in 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, possibly full marathon (don't have a full on the calendar yet) - PR'd in 5K, 10K, and 1/2; no fulls ran this year; though I'm going to start training for the 2019-2020 season
  • Get more serious about running and get more respectable times.... - check, with the help of The Pilot
  • Buy a bike and start cycling - check, though with a bathroom renovation, vacation, and buckling down on training for the Houston half I have neglected this recently
  • Complete a sprint tri - negative ghost rider; but per the above I've started cycling and have built a decent swimming base

Bump
bert harbinson
AG
Thanks, I was just now searching for that.
wbt5845
AG
wbt5845 said:

I lost 70 pounds last year. I'd like to lose 20 more this year. I'd also like to break a 28 minute 5k and 60 minute 10k. That'd be a 1:40 and 5:00 improvement respectively.

I also plan to put together a CG Games super masters team and hope to make finals.

Wow.

I did lose about 22 more pounds.
I ran a 27:45 5K
I ran a 58:45 10K

My team finished one spot out of making CG Games Finals. Oh well.....
ptothemo
AG
ptothemo said:

I've been holding off on this as I finish out 2017, but my overall framework goals....

--Continue to eat right (about 90% vegetarian now and my diet is way better than it has ever been before) did this but got over the vegetarian thing pretty early in 2018
--Maintain healthy weight (have been at 165 to 170 for a few months now and it's a good weight for me) check
--Maintain continuous sobriety for entire year check!
--Run 2018 miles for the year nope, will end the year around 1450; IT band issues got in the way here; goal might have been a bit audacious anyway
--Two or three fulls run well and not just battled through (already registered for Austin in February and I know I will be back for BCS in December; may find another one somewhere in between) one really good one (BCS) counts, right?
--Break 1:38 in the half (current PR is 1:45) check! 1:35:24 at Houston Half
--Break 43:00 in the 10k (current PR is 47:21) just a bit audacious on this one; 44:32 was the best I pulled off
--Break 21:00 in the 5k (current PR is 23:15) audacious too but nearly got it; 21:05 on Thanksgiving day
--Integrate more strength training into my weekly routine after the road racing season (to be better defined in the next couple months) IT band issues really expedited this one since my road racing season ended just a couple of weeks after typing the goal; have really enjoyed more strength training this year

I have a mantra of "win the day". It may be a bit cliche, but I want to win 365 days next year and just see where it all shakes out from there. check!

I will say that, in hindsight, I must have really been feeling my oats when I wrote this about a year ago now. But, I hit a good number of them, and it was a good year!
TurboVelo
AG
TxsAggieFn said:

Placed 11th at the World Championships. Move up 10 spots.
Got 7th. But, I did buy a velodrome, so I've got that going for me.
gd28
AG
gd28 said:

Top 5 Ag in an Ironman 70.3 - success! x2...4th AG in Buffalo Springs and 5th AG at Maine 70.3
BQ in the Houston Marathon - success! signed up and ready to race in April
Overall win a local tri - success!
Qualify for 2019 70.3 WC in a late season race - fail...missed a spot by 2 places and ~2 min on 2 separate occasions - once in Maine and once in Waco

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.