Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Favorite liquid base for making smoothies?

1,035 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Diet Cokehead
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been going back and forth between almond milk and coconut water. Trying to find something a little more nutritious if I can. I can't do a lot of cow's milk so that is out and would be the obvious choice otherwise.

Seems like a lot of the hype behind coconut stuff is ending, and I don't see much nutrition in almond milk.

Or maybe you get by without a liquid base?
bigtruckguy3500
Depends on what macros you're targetting and if you're pro fat or anti fat.

If you like coconut, I would consider still using coconut milk (you can dilute it if you want with almond milk). Or you could try. There are several other nut/plant milks out there like cashew, rice, hemp, but I think they'll all be very similar nutritionally to almond milk.

You could also try heavy whipping cream with water or almond milk to beef it up a bit. Again, high fat though. Some people use the really soft tofu to thicken up their smoothies. Maybe mix it in with the almond milk for the flavor.

Maybe also yogurt with something to thin it out.
Hoosegow
Water. I like all of my main liquid intakes to be based on water. My milk should be mostly water. Even my whiskey is rarely less than 50% water. And I like it over ice.

I tried crude oil one time for a week but it gave me gas.
Class of '94
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Green tea or iced tea
monarch
S
A combination of gluten free carrot juice, cherry based fruit juice and apple juice...
Peace for Ukraine!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks all. Not sure about my macros - never spent much time analyzing it although I always have been curious. I will have to look into it. I do think my current recipe has plenty of fats though.

More or less just concerned at this point getting nutritious calories. Currently been blending up....
Cup of Coco Water, Scoop of Greek Yogurt, Scoop of Almond Butter, TBSP of Coco Oil, Chia, Flax, Apple Cider Vinegar, big handful of power greens, oats, handful of mangoes and some blueberries.
bjork
Soylent: chia or cacao.

+ a scoop of GS Double Rich Chocolate for 44g of protein deliciousness.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Green tea or iced tea
Do you make you own green tea or buy it pre-made? I am leaning towards trying this since there are some nice benefits of green tea.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

Green tea or iced tea
Do you make you own green tea or buy it pre-made? I am leaning towards trying this since there are some nice benefits of green tea.

I make my own. I have tried several varieties but I prefer the flavor of the Starbucks Tazo Zen so I bought a box of the same tea bags that they use in the stores. Its's about $20 for a box of 24 bags in Amazon. I drop a bag in a pot of boiling water and wait about five minutes for it to steep. One bag makes a half gallon which lasts about a week of smoothies using 1 cup at a time.

P.U.T.U
AG
Ice cream
Theblondewonder
AG
Lately I have been blending a can of Trader Joe's full fat coconut milk with 2 cups of water (could use up to 4 cups of water). This will last about 5 days in the fridge. If counting macros, this can really eat into your fat allowance. I got the idea from food babe.
zip04
AG
If I have any coffee left over from the pot I brew in the morning, I put it in the refrigerator and mix it in my shakes. I don't use crap coffee though.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I also use coffee or water.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.