Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Rotator cuff partial tear and scar tissue

955 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cliff Booth
maldivesag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just had MRI done on left shoulder and doctor is recomending surgery due to partially torn rotator cuff plus buildup of scar tissue. Basically they won't know what to do until they get in there to just scope or to repair the tendon.

I am undecided on what to do as it's not my dominant hand. Currently the only pain I have is when rotating or lifting my arm above my shoulder. PT is an option but I've tried it before and it helped for a little bit but then got bad again. I know the surgery is not fun so any suggestions would be much appreciated
bones75
AG
How long have you had symptoms? (some of these cases do improve with time)
Have you tried a cortisone injection?
Basically, if you are healthy and active, have continued to have pain and limitations after 6-12 weeks, and have tried some PT/had a cortisone injection, the surgery (should be done with an arthroscope) is the next step. When the MRI suggests a partial tear, a judgement is made after viewing/probing the torn area : repair is done if the tear goes all the way through the tendon or if it is "hanging by a thread", debridement is done if the torn area looks pretty strong (appears more like some "fraying of an otherwise sturdy rope"). If a repair is needed, the recovery is slower since the tendon has to be "rested" for 4-6 weeks before much rehab can be done (if no repair- can start immediately, therefore, faster recovery).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maldivesag
AG
It's been going on for 2 years. Had the cortisone injection on the ac joint and upper trap. Helped for about two months and then went back to catching.
shano0603
AG
Not saying it works. But search for Joe Rogan talking about hanging.
El Guero
AG
I had a similar diagnosis about 3 years ago. My tear was in the supra spinatus tendon, plus tendonitis, bone spurs, arthritis, etc., etc. I had trouble sleeping and I could not lift my arm above horizontal out to the side. The ortho wanted to cut. I went to an Airrosti clinic and did their therapy treatment. I could not be happier with my results. The clinic I went to is in McAllen, TX. I am basically pain free and I continue to exercise my shoulders a ton. I'm just more cautious and warm up better now.
Post removed:
by user
Cliff Booth
AG
Recovery from partial tear with repair is hard (Dec '11, Left). Pain for about 6 months.

Recovery from scope with debridement is ok (Dec '16, Right). Much less painful. I was pleasantly surprised. Recovery was going well, until...

Recovery from full tear (Mar '17, Right again) friggin sucks. Repair included bone screws and what looked like fishing line. Still hurts, and I wonder if I'll ever be able to throw anything with my right/dominant arm. Vicodin is the only way to get through it IMO. I'm hoping for a cortisone shot tomorrow. Strength is improving, but it just hurts.

My experience with my left keeps me optimistic. If it recovered (and I had my doubts at the time) then the right will as well.

If you gotta do it, unfortunately it's gonna hurt, but it will heal.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.