Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

ISO: Marathon Pacer

738 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by vikitor14
vikitor14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UPDATE: A pacer has been found. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Howdy! Figured I would try the Aggie Network...

Looking for anyone who might be able to pace a fellow tribe member from NP IND who is trying to BQ on November 4th at the Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis.

Please read from Jason Shaw, Co-Leader of NPIND:

"World Changing People! I have mentioned our involvement here with the Special Olympics of Central Indiana and one athlete in particular (Andrew) who is now a staple at EVERY NP workout. He is trying to Boston Qualify at this year's Monumental. He was born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and has a bit of trouble keep track of where he is and directions. Physically, he is in peak condition....his last full marathon he ran by himself in 3hr 15min and got lost on the course. He already dominates the Special Olympic games and he wants to qualify for Boston as a normal 24 year old. He needs a 3hr time in Indy to qualify and the pacer that his father had lined up just dropped out. The race organizers are having trouble finding somebody who is willing to (and fast enough) to pace him. Obviously, race fees would be covered and we can handle all lodging and all that through the tribe. Unfortunately, there is nobody in the Indy tribe who is fast enough to do this. I ASSURE you, this would be one of the most rewarding things that someone can do. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated."

NP = November Project

If you can help, please reach out to me through my gmail account: (vhdz14) and I can get you in touch with the right people. Thanks!
The Pilot
AG
Finding a 3:00 pacer is going to be challenging. Might be easier to find two 1:30 pacers and have them swap out halfway.
BQ2001
AG
I'm doing the Indianapolis marathon but nowhere near that pace. Good luck to him though!
Rudyjax
AG
The Pilot said:

Finding a 3:00 pacer is going to be challenging. Might be easier to find two 1:30 pacers and have them swap out halfway.

I volunteer you.
htxag09
AG
Do 3:00 finishers really need/use a pacer? Genuinely curious...
Rudyjax
AG
htxag09 said:

Do 3:00 finishers really need/use a pacer? Genuinely curious...

short answer, depends.
Sooner Born
I'd be good for the first 24 miles.
Sooner Born
The Pilot said:

This is what I've seen marathons with pacers do. The fact is, 26 miles trashes your legs and it's hard to find people just up and willing to run 26 for the sake of pacing. Not to mention that the margin of error is pretty wide and if the pacer has a bad day, then the group is probably without a pacer.
The Pilot
AG
I'd love to help but I'll be coming off a marathon two weeks before. If this were closer, I could round up people. Chicago is relatively close and huge running community, I'd look there. I really think finding a 3:00 pacer is going to be really hard because for that time you really want someone with a ~2:45 PR. People do marathon relays all the time, finding 3 people who can run 6:50 pace for 1 hr shouldn't be that hard.

I know someone who works at fleet feet in Chicago, I'll ask her.
Sooner Born
I might be able to be 1 of that 2 or 3. Need to check with the Mrs. I'll email you separately.

Also, you might post this on Reddit. The /running or /artc or /advancedrunning communities would have plenty of people who would be fast enough to do this.
vikitor14
Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.