Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Dumb question about race goals (running)

475 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiespartan
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do you make them? I've only run a handful of short distance races, and the only 10k I've done so far got messed up. I'm training at around an average of an 11 minute mile. Should my goals be to hold an 11 minute mile steady or something else? The messed up 10k is my longest run so far and I averaged 11:27 with steep hills for 7.2 miles.

I have a half marathon in November, and I put 3:00 down for estimated finish because at the time I just had no idea. I'm thinking about changing it because it affects what corral you are in, but I have no clue to what.
AggieOO
Quote:

Should my goals be to hold an 11 minute mile steady or something else?

that's up to you. Do you want to run faster or farther?

You can do both to a certain extend, but the answer to my question determines how you structure your training.
aggiespartan
AG
I'd like to be able to run the full half marathon. I would like to be faster too but I don't know how much faster I can get by November. I'm running Hal Higdon's novice half program.
wangus12
AG
I just look up the world records at each distance and then I go beat those times.

If this is your first half and you want to run the whole thing, maybe simply focus on running the whole thing and don't worry about the time.

Are you running R&R Vegas in Nov.?
wcb
AG
https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Really good calculator to help you estimate your paces at all distances based on a known pace / distance.
aggiespartan
AG
wangus12 said:

I just look up the world records at each distance and then I go beat those times.

If this is your first half and you want to run the whole thing, maybe simply focus on running the whole thing and don't worry about the time.

Are you running R&R Vegas in Nov.?
Yep. I'm going to do another 10k here in Portland next month too, without the extra mile and elevation. I'm not really so worried about the time. I just don't like finishing so close to last.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.