Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Did you guys run all the crossfitters off?

3,290 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JDCAG (NOT Colin)
gigemhilo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bmks270 said:

P.U.T.U said:

At the beginning of Crossfit they got the best in the business to help them design their workouts. For example Chris Summer for gymnastics moves, Kelly Starlet for mobility, but then they started seeing the money out there and changed things to bring in more customers. Summer left as soon as they started kipping moves since he knew a ton of people would get injured. Add the ability for anyone to pay $1700 and get a weekend of instruction and you can now be an instructor then you have people that are telling people to do dangerous moves incorrectly.

Crossfit done properly is a fantastic program and makes a lot of sense for being fit to do almost anything. You build muscle, work on mobility, do HIIT, and other things that lead to a healthier life.

Crossfit is like any other workout program where you have both good and bad coaches/programs. But due to a lot of idiots trying to throw around heavy weights you saw a lot of injuries. I've known about a half frozen people get rhabdo, one break their back, and another who was in the hospital for over a week due to exhaustion from Crossfit. Heavy weights and fatigue does not mix.
In the end it did change the fitness industry for the better and got a lot more females lifting weights. I don't care what people do as long as they get after it

Bold part seems quite counter productive to fitness and health.

I really think every exercise workout being for time or for reps is senseless and the issue I have with crossfit. Safer to do the timed stuff with body weight movements, push ups burpees, sprints, chin ups, running, etc... and then use the barbells to train the muscle not the heart. Front squats and cleans and deadlifts for time.... it sounds even more senseless now that I write it out. If crossfit seperated the barbell work from the conditioning, I think it would be a lot better. Time trial is the wrong objective for the barbell moves. A barbell circuit is fine, rotate lofts with no rests between, but the objective should be to complete a number of controlled reps and it takes as long as it takes.... making it a time trial sacrifices focus and control of the weight and causes injuries and rhado.
My experience is that its not intended to lose control or focus, but quite the opposite. A time trial is intended to keep you on task rather than wondering over to the watercooler or "resting" for 15 minutes between circuits... which is what I would do at the gym.

Also, the time trials are meant to be done with barbell weights that you can do with proper form and control. A good coach will encourage you to scale during time trial to do what you can handle. Obviously the end goal is to improve physical fitness, so you want to improve performance over time. But a good coach should never encourage someone to do weight they cannot handle in a time trial.

Like someone said above, good and bad coaches/environments exist regardless of what the name is on the building. Find a good gym/box/whatever, and do what is best for you.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
P.U.T.U said:

At the beginning of Crossfit they got the best in the business to help them design their workouts. For example Chris Summer for gymnastics moves, Kelly Starlet for mobility, but then they started seeing the money out there and changed things to bring in more customers. Summer left as soon as they started kipping moves since he knew a ton of people would get injured. Add the ability for anyone to pay $1700 and get a weekend of instruction and you can now be an instructor then you have people that are telling people to do dangerous moves incorrectly.

Crossfit done properly is a fantastic program and makes a lot of sense for being fit to do almost anything. You build muscle, work on mobility, do HIIT, and other things that lead to a healthier life.

Crossfit is like any other workout program where you have both good and bad coaches/programs. But due to a lot of idiots trying to throw around heavy weights you saw a lot of injuries. I've known about a half frozen people get rhabdo, one break their back, and another who was in the hospital for over a week due to exhaustion from Crossfit. Heavy weights and fatigue does not mix.
In the end it did change the fitness industry for the better and got a lot more females lifting weights. I don't care what people do as long as they get after it

Yeah, I've been doing crossfit for a little bit and I'm enjoying it, but I will say that it can be a recipe for disaster as you probably have a coach or 2 watching 8-15 people. You also have people that, in a lot of cases, are probably doing weight they shouldn't do for the volume they're trying to do. I think my biggest experience is that they should push much harder at getting people to scale down, but that may just be my opinion.

The problem is the same as anything else - when you start hitting your limit and your form goes to hell as you try to just make it happen, you are way more likely to hurt yourself. I think the biggest issue with crossfit is that you see a lot more people putting themselves in that position than you do with typical workouts.

That said, I'm trying to make sure and scale as needed and listen to my body and I've enjoyed it and have seen some pretty solid gains in the short time I've done it - but I do think it is best for somebody that can know when they need to back off and scale back, which is probably the exact opposite of many of the folks that it plays well to.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.