Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Did you guys run all the crossfitters off?

3,272 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JDCAG (NOT Colin)
gigemhilo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I never see any posts about it anymore.

Asking for a friend of course...
emando2000
AG
Nope, still here.
The Pilot
AG
No, you just finally hit ignore on all of them.
Potcake
AG
WOD to your Mother.
gigemhilo
AG
I have not been ignoring. I've been looking for them...

for my friend of course.

I remember a couple years ago, it seemed like there was a crossfit v non-crossfit war going on here. But now it seems like no one talks about it (I've been away for a while). Just wondering the current state of the conflict...
AggieOO
guessing part of it is that crossfit is now just the crossfitters. All the craze has dropped off and the general population that was "all about it" has either gone back to their couch or started going to orange theory.

There's still a lot of you guys out there, but its not the flavor of the day anymore for the "on again, off again" fitness crowd.
AgEng06
AG
Suuuup, bro?
AggieT
AG
We're all hurt and have rhabdo.
emando2000
AG
Dude I get it from all angles. I'm an Aggie in Austin, Dallas Cowboy fan, CrossFitter and I do a Keto diet. People come at me all the time and I don't even talk about any of it. They initiate the conversation with CrossFit & Keto, not me.
P.U.T.U
AG
wbt5845
AG
AggieOO said:

guessing part of it is that crossfit is now just the crossfitters. All the craze has dropped off and the general population that was "all about it" has either gone back to their couch or started going to orange theory.

There's still a lot of you guys out there, but its not the flavor of the day anymore for the "on again, off again" fitness crowd.
Never heard of Orange Theory. Looked them up. I'm always leery of a place that refuses to let you know how much it costs.

I'll stick with CG.
AgEng06
AG
It's far more expensive than CG. My wife does OTF here in the Austin area and it's $169/month for unlimited classes. There are other plans available as well, though. BUT, she likes it, so we pay for it.
RedlineAg08
Still here
P.U.T.U
AG
Like others said it was a fad for a while and most of the people that still do it do it because they like the lifestyle, not just the latest thing. That or they all got rhabdo

During the games you see more people come out of the crossfit closet but I think with all we make fun of it they keep quiet
DavidAg02
AggieOO said:

This made me laugh because my wife was an avid crossfitter for about 2 years and now she's hooked on orange theory.
P.U.T.U
AG
NSFW or kids. The costing of Crossfit on the video almost killed me since I was working out and listening to it once.

RedlineAg08
I don't really keep quiet. If it's a topic, then we crossfitters speak up.
O.G.
They can't type anymore, they ruined their shoulders doing fake pull ups and can't lift their arms to the keyboard.

Hoosegow
X fit still gets a lot of deserved hate, but you have to give credit where it is due.
1. It has done more for the business of fitness than anything or anyone since Arnold.
2. It has forced gym equipment to take a giant leap forward.
3. It has done more to encourage women to get under the bar than anyone or anything else in history - and we all benefit from that.
4. It mainstreamed HIIT. Many of us knew about it and practiced it, but it wasn't until x-fit that soccer mom learned that it did more for you than 60 minutes of cardio.

That's a lot of good.
Class of '94
culdeus
AG

Quote:

4. It mainstreamed HIIT. Many of us knew about it and practiced it, but it wasn't until x-fit that soccer mom learned that it did more for you than 60 minutes of cardio.

I don't have any research to point to, but I've been led to believe that the conventional wisdom on HIIT is shifting towards just certifying that the benefit from HIIT can't be isolated to the rep/rest scheme more than just normal resistance training as most HIIT has a resistance training element to it whether it is weights or bodyweight.
Mollie03
AG
36 year-old female crossfitter here. Played sports growing up and did a bunch of half marathons in my late 20s early 30s. I was skeptical before I started almost 3 years ago and lots of people warned me about getting hurt. Three years in my injuries have been hitting my shin on a box jump and setting a dumbbell down on my fingertip. I am 21 pounds down, have more muscle and CF is the only workout in my entire adult life that I didn't hate or skip more days than not. Depression and anxiety issues that have plagued me since 2001 are better. All that said, It's not for everyone and some crossfit gyms are better than others. I also listen to my body and don't lift more than I can with proper form. Say what you will about how terrible it is but it has worked for me and I plan on doing for the rest of my life and scaling as I need to later in life!
mwp02ag
AG
Hahahahah yes I quit this board several years ago, only reason I saw this thread was that I actually still have this page as the texags favorites on my iPad.

The discussions and beliefs regarding CrossFit on this page were my first actual realization that everyone has an opinion, few of them are from personal experience.

I've learned that if you want to understand something you don't ask those with no experience, you ask the experts who are at the top of their field because they live and breath the subject.
bmks270
AG
culdeus said:

Quote:

I don't have any research to point to, but I've been led to believe that the conventional wisdom on HIIT is shifting towards just certifying that the benefit from HIIT can't be isolated to the rep/rest scheme more than just normal resistance training as most HIIT has a resistance training element to it whether it is weights or bodyweight.

My understanding is that the original HIIT study was done on stationary bikes.

I also didn't think cross fit had anything to do with HIIT.
bam02
AG
Hoosegow said:

3. It has done more to encourage women to get under the bar than anyone or anything else in history - and we all benefit from that.

That's a lot of good.

This.
Cancelled
AG
P.U.T.U said:

That they drive a Prius
Counterpoint
AG
Did a search for the word "box" on this thread and it only came up once...and it was referencing box jumps.

So DEFINITELY not as many Crossfitters here anymore!

Presley OBannons Sword
SAWgunner said:

They can't type anymore, they ruined their shoulders doing fake pull ups and can't lift their arms to the keyboard.

the d-bag doing the commentary on this video is ten times as insufferable as the d-bag doing fake pullups.
gigemhilo
AG
4thGenAg03 said:

36 year-old female crossfitter here. Played sports growing up and did a bunch of half marathons in my late 20s early 30s. I was skeptical before I started almost 3 years ago and lots of people warned me about getting hurt. Three years in my injuries have been hitting my shin on a box jump and setting a dumbbell down on my fingertip. I am 21 pounds down, have more muscle and CF is the only workout in my entire adult life that I didn't hate or skip more days than not. Depression and anxiety issues that have plagued me since 2001 are better. All that said, It's not for everyone and some crossfit gyms are better than others. I also listen to my body and don't lift more than I can with proper form. Say what you will about how terrible it is but it has worked for me and I plan on doing for the rest of my life and scaling as I need to later in life!

This is very similar to my experience... I had run A LOT in my early and mid thirties. My back took a beating from it. I also lifted heavy weights for a while, and that took a toll on my back a well. I finally listened to someone tell me what Crossfit actually was, and decided to give it a try (I had been skeptical because "injuries"). What I realized is that it has helped me tremendously in regards to flexibility and back health. and I am also in better shape than when I was running marathons or was lifting heavy weights.

Part of what I love is that while there is an element of competition and pushing to work harder, it is tempered by encouragement to listen to your body and not over-lift or over-work. You don't get either of those working out on your own.
Iowaggie
AG

Edit: Already mentioned in #3 above, so I'll just put a broscience video or 2 here.

bam02
AG
gigemhilo said:

Part of what I love is that while there is an element of competition and pushing to work harder, it is tempered by encouragement to listen to your body and not over-lift or over-work. You don't get either of those working out on your own.
I get both of those things working out alone.
bmks270
AG
So, is crossfit actually accepted as a good exercise programming by the mainstream now or is it still the counter culture of modern fitness?

I think crossfit makes more sense when thought of as a competitive game like soccer or basketball than it does as an exercise and training program.
P.U.T.U
AG
At the beginning of Crossfit they got the best in the business to help them design their workouts. For example Chris Summer for gymnastics moves, Kelly Starlet for mobility, but then they started seeing the money out there and changed things to bring in more customers. Summer left as soon as they started kipping moves since he knew a ton of people would get injured. Add the ability for anyone to pay $1700 and get a weekend of instruction and you can now be an instructor then you have people that are telling people to do dangerous moves incorrectly.

Crossfit done properly is a fantastic program and makes a lot of sense for being fit to do almost anything. You build muscle, work on mobility, do HIIT, and other things that lead to a healthier life.

Crossfit is like any other workout program where you have both good and bad coaches/programs. But due to a lot of idiots trying to throw around heavy weights you saw a lot of injuries. I've known about a half frozen people get rhabdo, one break their back, and another who was in the hospital for over a week due to exhaustion from Crossfit. Heavy weights and fatigue does not mix.
In the end it did change the fitness industry for the better and got a lot more females lifting weights. I don't care what people do as long as they get after it
Hoosegow
No X fit is not seen as 'good'. There is nothing special about it. It is well marketed HIIT. HIIT is good. You can get the same results with just about any HIIT.

Class of '94
bmks270
AG
P.U.T.U said:

At the beginning of Crossfit they got the best in the business to help them design their workouts. For example Chris Summer for gymnastics moves, Kelly Starlet for mobility, but then they started seeing the money out there and changed things to bring in more customers. Summer left as soon as they started kipping moves since he knew a ton of people would get injured. Add the ability for anyone to pay $1700 and get a weekend of instruction and you can now be an instructor then you have people that are telling people to do dangerous moves incorrectly.

Crossfit done properly is a fantastic program and makes a lot of sense for being fit to do almost anything. You build muscle, work on mobility, do HIIT, and other things that lead to a healthier life.

Crossfit is like any other workout program where you have both good and bad coaches/programs. But due to a lot of idiots trying to throw around heavy weights you saw a lot of injuries. I've known about a half frozen people get rhabdo, one break their back, and another who was in the hospital for over a week due to exhaustion from Crossfit. Heavy weights and fatigue does not mix.
In the end it did change the fitness industry for the better and got a lot more females lifting weights. I don't care what people do as long as they get after it

Bold part seems quite counter productive to fitness and health.

I really think every exercise workout being for time or for reps is senseless and the issue I have with crossfit. Safer to do the timed stuff with body weight movements, push ups burpees, sprints, chin ups, running, etc... and then use the barbells to train the muscle not the heart. Front squats and cleans and deadlifts for time.... it sounds even more senseless now that I write it out. If crossfit seperated the barbell work from the conditioning, I think it would be a lot better. Time trial is the wrong objective for the barbell moves. A barbell circuit is fine, rotate lofts with no rests between, but the objective should be to complete a number of controlled reps and it takes as long as it takes.... making it a time trial sacrifices focus and control of the weight and causes injuries and rhado.
gigemhilo
AG
bam02 said:

gigemhilo said:

I get both of those things working out alone.
I'm glad you do. But not everybody is a self-starter or self driven. Some need community.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.