Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Apple Watch Version 3 as a running watch

1,565 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Big Cat `93
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The last two watches have been cast aside by serious runners due to accuracy issues, water resistance, and battery life. Is the new Apple Watch Version 3 any closer to replacing our Garmins? I admit, all the gadgets and gizmos on Apple Watches are appealing. Especially with data now on the watches it looks pretty cool.

I see the Apple Watch 3 now has GPS and GLONASS, would that make it just as accurate as my Garmin 920XT that is starting to die?
OldArmy07
AG
If it helps, I was marginally interested in an Apple watch but I'm sticking with my 935. I see Garmin as still being superior in terms of a pure fitness watch with proven connectivity to 3rd party sources (myfitness pal, strava, etc.) that I don't think Apple fully supports yet.

The heart rate stuff in the AW3 looks similar to what Garmin rolled out with their newer optical sensors. I can't speak to how accurate the recovery calculations or race predictions are with Apple, but they've been pretty accurate thus far on the Garmin side for me.

I'm also not the best use case for an apple watch, because I don't really want all the extra notifications I already on my phone beeping on my wrist. It's been annoying at work watching people get distracted in meetings by e-mail notifications on their watches that they just can't resist checking.
aggiespartan
AG
I have an Apple Watch 2 and am thinking about switching to a Garmin. My husband has a Garmin and he gets so much more info from his watch than I do.
Big Cat `93
AG
The GPS on my Apple Watch 2 is quite accurate (I use the Nike+ app on outdoor runs).
c-jags
easttexasaggie04 said:

The last two watches have been cast aside by serious runners due to accuracy issues, water resistance, and battery life. Is the new Apple Watch Version 3 any closer to replacing our Garmins? I admit, all the gadgets and gizmos on Apple Watches are appealing. Especially with data now on the watches it looks pretty cool.

I see the Apple Watch 3 now has GPS and GLONASS, would that make it just as accurate as my Garmin 920XT that is starting to die?
my wife has an apple watch and likes hit for her group fitness classes. i'll never get one because charging my watch every day seems incredibly futile and annoying. that's just me.

it has some nice tieins with nike, strava, etc. i'm sure, but i just don't need that much tech on my wrist. i will never take a call or reply to a text on my wrist, because i think i personally would look d0ushey doing so.

if you want to look at newer garmin tech to see where they are, take a look at fenix 5s and vivoactive3 and compare features.
aggiespartan
AG
c-jags said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

my wife has an apple watch and likes hit for her group fitness classes. i'll never get one because charging my watch every day seems incredibly futile and annoying. that's just me.

it has some nice tieins with nike, strava, etc. i'm sure, but i just don't need that much tech on my wrist. i will never take a call or reply to a text on my wrist, because i think i personally would look d0ushey doing so.

if you want to look at newer garmin tech to see where they are, take a look at fenix 5s and vivoactive3 and compare features.
It's not so great for strava. I'd like to see what pace I'm running at, but it will only tell me the projected mile time, not what I'm running right then. It just makes it a little more difficult if you are trying to pace yourself.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Yea I think I've pretty much decided against the Apple 3 after looking more into it. I do like that I only have to charge my Garmin once every 2 weeks or so. Charging my watch every night would be a PITA. But dang...those Garmin Fenix 5 watches are 600 bones!
c-jags
easttexasaggie04 said:

Yea I think I've pretty much decided against the Apple 3 after looking more into it. I do like that I only have to charge my Garmin once every 2 weeks or so. Charging my watch every night would be a PITA. But dang...those Garmin Fenix 5 watches are 600 bones!
look at the vivoactive 3.
c-jags
aggiespartan said:

c-jags said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

It's not so great for strava. I'd like to see what pace I'm running at, but it will only tell me the projected mile time, not what I'm running right then. It just makes it a little more difficult if you are trying to pace yourself.
the apple doesn't work with strava? my wife doesn't run so she's never messed with it.
aggiespartan
AG
It works with Strava, you just don't have a lot of detailed information on your watch. So mid-run, when I look down at my watch to see how fast I'm going, it doesn't tell me how fast I'm going at that second. It will just give me an average, which doesn't help much when you are trying to run a certain pace. My husband can look at his Garmin and get both numbers - what he is running and the estimated split time.
AggieOO
Apple people are a funny bunch. Always getting excited about technology that has been available on other platforms for a year.
c-jags
AggieOO said:

Apple people are a funny bunch. Always getting excited about technology that has been available on other platforms for a year.
Garmin Supremacist.
AggieOO
i've used garmin and currently have one, but i'm not married to it. I've looked at suunto, tomtom, etc, ust always found the best bargins on garmins (and have a pro deal through work).

But i'm not just talking about watches. iPhones are usually lagging too. Android typically has most of the features for 6 months or a year before they hit iPhone.
c-jags
I like the looks of those suuntos but they're so darn expensive and I don't know anybody that uses one.

Tomtoms are just ugly to me.
aggiespartan
AG
I really like the Fenix S because you can get it in a smaller size, but I'm going to have to wait for a lower price tag.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Well the boss offered to get us new apple watches tied to the Verizon bill. I'll take it. I'll still run with my Garmin.
c-jags
i'll take free every time.
AggieOO
easttexasaggie04 said:

Well the boss offered to get us new apple watches tied to the Verizon bill. I'll take it. I'll still run with my Garmin.
free is a completely different story.
claym711
AG
I have Apple Watch 2. My exposure to Garmin has been with my Edge 820. Obviously these are used for different things, but for what they claim to do, the Apple Watch is far superior. The Edge Strava segments are screwy as hell - jumping around from up 10 seconds to down 15 seconds in an instant, and turn by turn directions are not good. It's as if the GPS tracking is late by several seconds - which Garmin claims is not the case after opening a ticket wth them - so conclusion is that it's a POS. Whereas, the Apple Watch for running, hiking, cycling, etc., gives less but at least accurate information.
PFG
AG
Just picked up the Suunto Spartan Trainer with wrist HR. Had it for 5 days and pretty pumped to put it through training/running treatment for the next 2 months, then Navigation in November in CO during a hunt trip. Great watch so far. Super comfortable to wear and digging the Suunto support/apps/website that all link up to the watch.
c-jags
i like those suuntos. i just don't know anybody that uses one personally. seem like a good niche watch pointed more at hunting and long hikes.
AggieOO
PFG said:

Just picked up the Suunto Spartan Trainer with wrist HR. Had it for 5 days and pretty pumped to put it through training/running treatment for the next 2 months, then Navigation in November in CO during a hunt trip. Great watch so far. Super comfortable to wear and digging the Suunto support/apps/website that all link up to the watch.
just know that the wrist HR is known to get pretty inaccurate, not just on suunto, but wrist HR in general.
The Pilot
AG
I'd take free, but I think my next running watch will be the Fenix 5 for the navigation capabilities.
PFG
AG
Yes, so I've heard. Will have to do some comparison with the chest strap and see what the data says. I'll try to report back if I remember this thread.
Diet Cokehead
AG
The Apple Watch 3 looks pretty enticing except the fact that it needs to be charged everyday. That seems like it would suck.
Big Cat `93
AG
I thought it would, but it really isn't a big deal. Doesn't take very long to get back to 100%.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.