Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Favorite lift for each muscle group

2,020 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hoosegow
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interested in knowing what lift is on everyone's short list. I'm thinking ancillary type of lifts. So not the typical bench for chest, squats for legs, etc. What lift makes it fun or gives you the best burn?

Chest?
Back?
Legs?
Shoulders?
Triceps?
Biceps?
Core?
Other?
bam02
AG
Squats.
Hoosegow
Accessories?
After I bench, I bench. And dips.
After I squat, I squat. And reverse hyper
After I deadlift.... ahhahahahah. Let's get serious. My deadlift sucks so I move on. Good mornings.
After I OHP, I OHP.
After I row, I row some more.

For core work, I push/pull a sled, use a yoke bar and carry various heavy objects.
Biceps, well I'm a grown man who lifts heavy stuff. I ain't worried about them. With little muscles like biceps when you grow they grow and the best way to grow is to squat. Bam is right on that one

Oh and the burn... that tells you nothing and helps nothing.
Class of '94
P.U.T.U
AG

Chest - incline, ring pushups
Back - rings
Legs - weighted stepups, my knees seem to like them
Shoulders - rows (due to a jacked up shoulder I do a decent amount of things like scarecrows)
Triceps - dips, dips, and more dips
Biceps - pointless
Core - Isometric or carry heavy things
Other - yoga type work, doesn't get you bigger big keeps me from falling apart
wangus12
AG
Lets be honest. The answer to everything is barbell curls in a squat rack. Serious gains
Post removed:
by user
10andBOUNCE
AG
Just started incorporating the weighted step ups myself in attempt to go easy on my knees as well.
10andBOUNCE
AG
So nothing other than bench and OHP? I definitely enjoy the classic lifts and try to overload with them but as far as continued development of the deltoids and chest, those are pretty limited IMO. Are you a pure 5x5er?
bigtruckguy3500
Pretty much all I do anymore are pullups, pushups, flat BB bench, bent over/T-bar rows, squats, deadlifts, and some lightweight rotator cuff and hip work. If I had more time I'd do more, but just sticking to the basics given how many times I can get into the gym.
Hoosegow
I have dips in there.

Typical bench day: lots of rotator cuff work to warm up. Bench, second bench variation- close grip, banded, rack - whatever. Row. Dips. 2nd type of row

Typical OHP DAY - lots of rotator cuff work to warm up. OHP - log, multipress bar, regular bar whatever. Speed bench - right now I'm doing banded camber bar. Lat pull downs. Weighted dips and some row variation.

Class of '94
rshackelford
AG
squat thrusts with large triangular shaped weights
10andBOUNCE
AG
I think I have the biggest issue with finding moves that truly overload my chest. Obviosuly lots of compound moves but as far as isolating the different heads, I'd be welcome to suggestions.
bmks270
AG
Bulgarian split squat for legs.

12-15 reps squats with lighter weight and fuller range of motion. Common lift but not a lot of people do lower weight and higher reps. I like it to maintain mobility and my form and stance with light and heavy weights differ slightly. With lower weight I can keep my feet closer together and do ass to grass but with heavier weight I spread my stance out a little more and lose some depth.

Romanian deadlifts. Always liked this exercise to strengthen my lower back and hamstrings.
Hoosegow
If you were advanced enough to truly need to "isolate each head," you'd know how to do it. However, if you are a competitive body builder and you don't know, you need to find a new gym and new training partners.

What I'm saying is just keep getting bigger and stronger.

However, here is the best website no one is using for exercise information. You ought to find something that meets what you are looking for.

http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
Class of '94
P.U.T.U
AG
I think hoosegow forgets more everyday than I have picked up over my lifetime
10andBOUNCE
AG
I always forget about Romanian DL. Good reminder.

As far as the chest goes, probably got a little ahead of myself talking about the "heads." More just looking to build strength like you said outside of bench press, etc. Flyes are unnecessary risks on the shoulder joint IMO but maybe I just need to focus on finding ways to do that movement without putting pressure on the shoulder.
Hoosegow
I hardly doubt that PUTU. You know your stuff. And I never knew that much in the first place and don't underestimate how much my old butt can forget.
Class of '94
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.