Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Help me pick December marathon

1,020 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Phat32
Removed:09182020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
H&F board runners, currently deciding between Dallas marathon, BCS marathon, or California International marathon. All are early December. No matter which one I will have to fly to get there. Anyone have advice from past races?
The Pilot
AG
What are you looking for in a race?
AG
I'd like a fast course, good volunteer support in frequent water stations, and decent community support. I'm a headphones on / business trip kind of racer, so I don't need anything too fancy.

Current PR set in June of 3:40, going for <3:25 this time (and putting in the work to get there).
AggieOO
CIM. Weather is typically better and more consistent. Fast course.
JDL 96
Dallas marathon was canceled a few years ago because of ice. Hate to say but there's a decent chance [15% maybe] of bad weather that makes it miserable or even canceled.

All that said, I did the dallas half last year and thought it was great. It's huge with 20k plus runners, big tv screens and fireworks at the start. Great course support w lots of aid stations, some bands and other entertainment on the course, and a decent # of spectators.

I'm doing the Dallas marathon (full - my first) in December. I live in Dallas so that made it an easy choice. If I had to fly to all of them I'm not sure it's the one I'd pick.
The Pilot
AG
I'd probably lean towards CIM. It's the faster course. Weather can really be terrible for just about any race, it seems.

Endo Ag
AG
Kiawah Island or CIT.
AG
Thanks for the advice. Likely to go with CIM
GigEmAgs15
AG
I've volunteered with BCS many times; as a marathoner myself, I am always impressed with how smoothly things go, from an operational standpoint.
O.G.
BCS runs remarkably well both for the runners and volunteers. I have been both.
AggieOO
I've run BCS too. Solely based on trying to PR, CIM is the better choice. No knock on bcs in general, but don't think it's the best PR choice. Not a bad one, but faster courses out there.
Oogway
I agree.. Great volunteers but BCS course is not fast. There are streets in town where you could make it a little speedier but the community would have to be committed to supporting the road closures and judging by some of the grumblers as it is, I don't see it happening.
Edit to add--it sounds like I am knocking BCS but I should clarify that marathons come in all different flavors and it helps to ask around and have a good idea of why you are running one.
Phat32
AG
They changed the Dallas course recently too. It looks a lot more fun.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.