Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Rotator Cuff surgery

1,712 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgPediRPh
jsc8116
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dr. is pretty sure I have a torn rotator cuff from his exam/xrays, getting an MRI next week for confirmation. Somewhat scared though for the quoted recovery time. He said 4-6 weeks in the sling but wont be able to start lifting weights for at least 6 months, if not longer.

Any recs for how to stay somewhat in shape during that time? I am not some super buff/fit athlete by any means, by I do keep a routine schedule of weighltifting 3x/week along with a couple days of swimming/running/basketball/etc. Figure I will at least be able to do some light walking and light aerobic activity, but fear of just withering away all of the muscle mass I have built up over the years. Price you pay I suppose of getting older???
Hoosegow
Keep lifting but lift with only your non injured arm. This will keep you strong everywhere else and will help keep the injured area from atrophying as much.

I tore my bicep and could not lift for 3 months. Was competing 5 months after that.

Figure out what you can do and do it.
Class of '94
Cliff Booth
AG
It's gonna hurt. A lot.

I had a partial supraspinatus tear fixed in December, then tore it off the bone in March. Had surgery again in May, this time with four screws and filament wires. The repair for the full tear was crazy painful. Six to eight 10mg hydrocodone a day for about 3 weeks, then as needed for another 3. Slept on the couch kinda upright for 6 weeks.

Started PT at about two weeks after. That starts off pretty miserable, but gets better after a couple of weeks.

As for your workouts, PT can take you an hour if you push it, and you can do it everyday. Like Hoosegow said, work your good side. Just pay attention to what your back is doing, and how your compensating. Protecting that shoulder, and your lack of ROM can cause you problems, and even in a short time imbalances can start. You can do legs where there's no chance you'll lose your balance (seated stuff mainly). I did stationary bike cardio for the first few weeks, then an elliptical type machine also afterwards (just held on with the good arm, just no bouncing).

I was back in the gym in my sling in 2.5 weeks. It's been almost 3 months, I still can't do a push-up without pain. I'm really tired of doing internal/external rotation and low/mid trap exercises, but I know I need them. But with the one side, PT, and cardio (and an adjusted diet), I've lost 30 mostly expendable lbs,and look better than I did pre surgery.

Good luck. I know it sucks.
Hhilton82
AG
I totally underestimated the surgery. I think I had mine on a Thursday and had business travel plans on the following Monday. (New clients I had never met). The meeting did not happen. My arm was a NOODLE for 3-4 days. No feeling at all. Never experienced that before.
Anyway, it is uncomfortable. Hard to do little things - prop your self up to get out of bed, clean yourself, pee etc. Important to have some help. VITAL for the first week or so.
I don't remember PAIN per say.
My best advice would be to do REHAB. I didn't (no ***** rehab for me), and guess what? My shoulder still hurts and causes me issues. From what I understand rehab for the rotator is light excercises using bands mostly. Pitcher type excercises if you will. DO IT!

I would not worry too much about staying in shape. Your body will let you know.

Good luck.
jsc8116
AG
well, mri confirmed its torn and will likely have surgery in next month or two, only 39 and DR. was surprised as he said it is normally in much "older" patients. After back, hip, and now impending rotator cuff ,surgery I am feeling quite "old" as it is...
bam02
AG
jsc8116 said:

After back, hip, and now impending rotator cuff ,surgery I am feeling quite "old" as it is...

Geez, man!!!

No experience or advice, but good luck!!!
Counterpoint
AG
jsc8116 said:

DR. was surprised as he said it is normally in much "older" patients. After back, hip, and now impending rotator cuff ,surgery I am feeling quite "old" as it is...
Even after seeing your previous medical charts, the torn rotator cuff still surprised him? Sorry, couldn't resist that! But seriously, good luck with everything and get well soon. Getting older sucks, but it beats the alternative, right?

Cliff Booth
AG
jsc8116 said:

After back, hip, and now impending rotator cuff ,surgery I am feeling quite "old" as it is...

If the injuries occurred in that order, I bet the back caused you to walk differently, which hurt your hip, and limited rotation of your spine, which forced your shoulder to pick up the slack (probably infraspinatus). Compensation's a killer.

I am 44. I herniated a disc in my neck (C5C6), which weakened my forearm. Eight months after surgery, I tried to clean a light weight and herniated C6C7. This turned my tricep, chest, and other muscles off like a light switch. So now my arm's weak, which led to compensation at the shoulder (and low back) and my two cuff surgeries and multiple cortisone injections in the back.

Just be careful in PT with your complex history. They'll apply the solution to rehab your shoulder. You'll have to keep an eye on your other problem areas yourself. For example, they may have you doing your band work standing. If this hurts your back/hip, you may have to go supine (laying flat).
jsc8116
AG
hip was from old football injury in highschool. we were doing sprints and tore my hip flexor. Over time it would always cause issues and had xrays a few years later to find out it was an avulsion fracture that took a piece of the bone on the flexor tear,that led to a 2 inch ossification were my hip flexor should have been. the back surgery was a lamenictomy of 3 of my veterbrae, not sure how i did that, maybe football and wear and tear?
Cliff Booth
AG
Who knows. That hip flexor tear may have caused an anterior pelvic tilt (forward), causing your butt to stick out and your low back to arch. That's not ideal for your lumbar spine, putting a pinch on your discs.

Hope your surgery goes well man. Your shoulder will be better.
AgPediRPh
AG
Bump because MRI showed a partial tear in my rotator cuff. Not painful, but I definitely have less mobility and cannot lift heavy. Because it's not a complete tear, the MD told me I could try a steroid shot for now. 6 weeks in a sling scared me off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.