Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

New Bike Advice (I'm a complete novice to biking)

1,681 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Phat32
Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking at buying a bike sometime soon. It's an exercise I've been wanting to get into for a while. I live about 4 miles from work so I don't think biking to work will be a problem. I have no idea where to even start with buying a bike though.

1) Any recommendations for bikes for a newbie?
2) Any general recommendations for equipment to go along with a new bike?
3) More locally - any bike shop recommendations in Houston?

I'd like to eventually get into triathlons. Don't necessarily need a bike for races right now but one that could handle training rides would be great.
Jim01
AG
Time for the almighty bike thread to make it's return

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/1763530
aggiespartan
AG
all this time and I didn't know the reflector was dorky.
Ag13
AG
Jim01 said:

Time for the almighty bike thread to make it's return

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/1763530
everything I need thanks!
Winston Wolf
AG
There are more bike shops in Houston than listed on the megathread.

Blue Line
iCycle
Urban Bicycle Gallery
cjo03
AG
aggiespartan said:

Some info on that thread may be a bit outdated... but reflectors are still dorky!
Absolute
AG
cjo03 said:

aggiespartan said:

Some info on that thread may be a bit outdated... but reflectors are still dorky!

Are the led wheel lights ok?

cjo03
AG
Only if they are 1900 lumens.
94chem
Can't decide between Academy and Wal-Mart. Can anyone help? Also, I need to grow a beard fast, so when I go in Starbucks to stink it up in my Spandex, I need something to catch the yogurt drops running down my middle-aged chin.
DavidAg02
A bike is one of the best things to buy used simply because so many people think "I need to get in shape, I'll buy a bike!" Then they ride it 5 times and give up, so it sits in the garage for months until they decide to sell it.
Absolute
AG
Went through this a couple years ago.

Using threads like this and the linked one, educate yourself on the brand choices and components. Set a budget!! No matter what that is, $100 - $10000, you can be enticed to break it. Figure out where your particular sweet spot is for brand, price, component level, type of riding, etc. At some point in the component ladder, you are paying for minute weight savings that a newbie just won't really care about. When I did it, my research found that for me, I couldn't really tell a huge difference in the 105 level components and up, while I really felt the difference going down. So for me, at that time, that was pretty valuable in setting a good starting point. Then I mainly went with comfort and what felt the best on the brand and such within the price range I had set.

Go to a good shop, get sized, and try some different brands and levels. Consider renting from a shop to try something on a longer ride.

Used is certainly a decent idea on bikes. But you will still need to be educated on the levels and pricing.

gd28
AG
My advice is if you are planning on riding consistently for years to come then it's worth it to stretch your budget a bit for a nice bike. Most people wanting to get into the sport try to save a few bucks and get a cheap bike only to quickly realize they don't have a very nice bike and want to upgrade.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I bought a newer inexpensive bike when I started riding. Once I figured out I liked it and was going to stick to it, I upgraded to a new nicer bike. I love riding that bike now. I would not hesitate to buy a used bike if it were in good condition. Like said, folks go out and spend the $ on a nice bike then don't stick with it and they dump them for cheap. Probably can pick up a deal with some research.
TurboVelo
AG
Absolute said:

cjo03 said:

aggiespartan said:

Are the led wheel lights ok?

I have a set of the Monkey-Lectric programmable LED's, and use them on my training wheels. I only turn them on when playing in traffic or riding at night, plus I like the extra weight for training.
zip04
AG
Also check with local bike shops for any older models they may still have. I bought a brand new Giant Defy Composite for half price because it was a 2 year old model they still had. At that point, you are supporting your local bike shop, getting a new bike at used pricing, and get the warranty, free fitting, and maintenance package the local shop offers with the purchase of a new bike.
rao11010
AG
If you are in Houston talk to Jeff at Bay Area Schwinn. He is the owner and an Ag. Bay Area sponsors the TAMU triathlon team.

evan_aggie
AG
I rode a bit while in college and eventually decided to get back into riding after I met my girlfriend.

I was torn about which bike to buy. She had a cyclocross, and I liked road-bike style, but with some of the gravel/grass capability. I did a bunch of research, and rode Specialized, Focus, Giant, Trek, Fuji, etc.

I eventually bought a used 2016 Focus Force1 that was way more bike than I ever needed for a little over $2,000. It was definitely an overkill purchase, but I've ridden it for maybe 800 miles and continue to ride 2-3 times a week on average. Try out a bunch of different bikes, and find one that you like. If it is a nice bike, you can usually sell it to recoup costs.

I tried the Shimano 105 and then the SRAM 11-speed, and really like just the 11 gears with a 42T front sprocket. You'll see that 22 gear systems typically have 36/46 fronts (or maybe it is 36/54?).

Phat32
AG
gd28 said:

My advice is if you are planning on riding consistently for years to come then it's worth it to stretch your budget a bit for a nice bike. Most people wanting to get into the sport try to save a few bucks and get a cheap bike only to quickly realize they don't have a very nice bike and want to upgrade.
This.

Also, I think you're using me as a specific example.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.