Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Counting calories burned during exercise

1,927 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Seven Costanza
mrsbeer05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are y'all's thoughts on counting the calories you burn from exercise and adjusting your daily calorie intake based off of that?

I'm counting macros so have my set intake, but I also run several times a week and lift weights, which my intake supposedly takes into account. I have a Garmin and a HR monitor I wear when I run that gives me a calorie count and a food log app that will also give me a calorie count for activity. Should I be using one of these to add the burned calories back in or stick with my original intake? My current goal is weight loss.
ramblin_ag02
AG
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/23/fitness-trackers-bad-at-calorie-counting-stanford-study.html

Quote:

Wearable makers, like Apple Watch and Fitbit, are getting better at tracking heart rate, according to a new study from researchers at Stanford University School of Medicine.
But those that measure calories are far from accurate.

The calories burned on your wearable or any piece of equipment is useless information. If you are trying to lose weight, then stick to your diet goals. Use exercise to keep your metabolism high and maintain muscle mass not as a way to add more calories.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MattTheBrave
AG
Use the bathroom scale to adjust your daily calorie intake.
P.U.T.U
AG
MattTheBrave said:

This plus a mirror
AgEng06
AG
P.U.T.U said:

MattTheBrave said:

This plus a mirror
WOOOORRRDDD
mrsbeer05
AG
AgEng06 said:

P.U.T.U said:

MattTheBrave said:

This plus a mirror
WOOOORRRDDD

I do these, yay!
Hoosegow
I kinda do that. I go really low carb every day of the week but I eat what I want on squat day and bench day.

Helps me stay strong without gaining sone of the weight back.
Class of '94
Frok
AG
I do sometimes when I have a more extended workout day. Mainly to give myself a little treat here and there.

;
Seven Costanza
AG
I add the cardio calories in. I try to eat 1800 calories a day during the work week. If I run 3 miles that day, I add 380 calories to that, meaning I need to eat 2180 for the day.

There are calculators that estimate your calories burned per mile based on weight and speed. I know they aren't perfect, but it seems to be close enough.
emando2000
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I add the cardio calories in. I try to eat 1800 calories a day during the work week. If I run 3 miles that day, I add 380 calories to that, meaning I need to eat 2180 for the day.

There are calculators that estimate your calories burned per mile based on weight and speed. I know they aren't perfect, but it seems to be close enough.

OP's goal is to lose weight, not maintain. I wouldn't advise anyone trying to lose weight to add back in the calories burned. First of all it's hard to know how accurate the devices are. In the end, caloric deficit is what's gonna get OP to a goal weight/appearance quicker. It takes 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat so adding calories back in for calories burned is slowing down the process.

I use a Polar device. How accurate is it? No idea but I use it just to get an idea. My friend has a Fitbit & his calories burned are a lot higher than mine but there is no way his workouts are more intense than mine. So with that being said, one of our devices are off so you need to have a conservative approach when reading those calories burned.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I enjoy exercising and then making smart food choices more than 80% of the time. Counting calories and keeping track and all that seems like wasted space. Just exercise and eat right majority of the time and you'll be good.
emando2000
AG
It literally takes less than 2 min to track your calories. MyFitnessPal does so much leg work for you. Track your calories and stick to your goals. You'll be amazed at how many actual calories you consume.

If I were OP, I'd keep doing what you're doing. Not tracking your meals can result in a lot of frustration.

Buceesnuggets - You may not have the same motivation as OP. Losing weight can be a LONG journey and you won't know why until you track what you're putting in your body.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Well I mean I studied kinesiology, nutrition and health sooo I think I'm good. Just giving my opinion. Sometimes tracking, charting and working out can seem too difficult. Just working out and eating right is much easier.
evan_aggie
AG
I'm reading this thread while eating vanilla ice cream and a crushed lemon poppy complete cookie on top.

P.U.T.U
AG
Maybe I am old school but I do not want to depend on a calculator or app for my health. Plus why are we now overfat but before technology we were a lot thinner? To me it is extremely simple; eat real foods (mostly vegetables and quality proteins like meat and eggs), and work your freaking butt off. If you have a desk job try getting a standing desk or be sure to take walking breaks. But when not at work be active, don't sit and watch TV. Get up and move.
Seven Costanza
AG
emando2000 said:

Seven Costanza said:

OP's goal is to lose weight, not maintain. I wouldn't advise anyone trying to lose weight to add back in the calories burned. First of all it's hard to know how accurate the devices are. In the end, caloric deficit is what's gonna get OP to a goal weight/appearance quicker. It takes 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat so adding calories back in for calories burned is slowing down the process.

I use a Polar device. How accurate is it? No idea but I use it just to get an idea. My friend has a Fitbit & his calories burned are a lot higher than mine but there is no way his workouts are more intense than mine. So with that being said, one of our devices are off so you need to have a conservative approach when reading those calories burned.
It doesn't matter if you're trying to gain, lose, or maintain. Adding the calories back in allows you to better track your where you're at for the day. My maintenance calories are about 2100/day for going about my regular day. Therefore I like to eat 1800 to have a deficit of 300 per day during the week. If I didn't add the running calories back in, I would be at a 600+ calorie deficit, which is a much greater than I want.

To use a more extreme example, let's say that your maintenance calories are 2100 per day and you want to eat 1600 to "burn a pound of fat per week". If you run 10 miles and eat your usual 1600 calories, you will be running a 2000 calorie deficit for the day, which is pretty unhealthy in my opinion.

emando2000
AG
Buceesnuggets - You have the background so it's easy for you. I'm not trying to convince you, I'm sure you're good with it. Also, if you work in the field you would realize that some people don't realize how many calories they're consuming. The majority of people have no clue.

P.U.T.U. - Technology is fine. It's the eating habits that people need to change. I live in a city that's more fit than most and the majority of people I know have lots of room to improve regarding diet.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Well I was actually saying that would be easier for any crowd. That way there is less thinking. Just learn which foods are good and bad, then find which good foods you don't mind eating. Then move more than you usually do.
P.U.T.U
AG
The problem is people are always looking for an easier way or a way to "hack" their life. It's plain and simple, eat right and work hard. People lack discipline in their diet and exercise. Motivation comes and goes, be disciplined.

The diet you should follow is what I mentioned above, a fifth grader knows this.
ramblin_ag02
AG
You'd be surprised. I was in line behind a lady at our hospital cafeteria. She ordered stewed beef, potatoes, steamed squash and a roll. The lady serving her complimented her on a healthy lunch. The other options were grilled fish, rice, and steamed vegatables. She literally picked the highest possible fat and carb options and probably was proud of herself for eating "healthy".

I guess compared to McDonalds that's healthy, and it was probably her lightest meal of the day. People just don't realize how much they eat ir what is good food. Calorie apps can help people make better choices who otherwise don't know any better.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
First mistake was eating at the hospital cafeteria, yack. But from my experience smart move staying away from the fish, stuff there is nasty.

Both meals are fine if the portions are proper. May have skipped the roll since they already had potatoes but both are healthy.
RangerRick9211
AG
P.U.T.U said:

First mistake was eating at the hospital cafeteria, yack. But from my experience smart move staying away from the fish, stuff there is nasty.

Both meals are fine if the portions are proper. May have skipped the roll since they already had potatoes but both are healthy.
Define what proper is and how you know when you've eaten a proper portion.

It's almost like that's the point of tracking macros/CICO.
P.U.T.U
AG
I eat until I am satiated and not until when I am full beyond belief. If I were a 145 pound woman would I eat a massive steak like I did last night? No I would eat more of the recommended palm sized. I eat based on my weight and activity. Not doing much that day means low carbs and a high focus on vegetables. Big workout day or time outside means more carbs and larger portions. The human bodies have a great thing some refer to as the central governor.

Yes apps and counting calories is a tool and can help many with proper portion sizes. But you should only need that for a small time until you understand what your needs are.
mrsbeer05
AG
Seven Costanza said:

It doesn't matter if you're trying to gain, lose, or maintain. Adding the calories back in allows you to better track your where you're at for the day. My maintenance calories are about 2100/day for going about my regular day. Therefore I like to eat 1800 to have a deficit of 300 per day during the week. If I didn't add the running calories back in, I would be at a 600+ calorie deficit, which is a much greater than I want.

To use a more extreme example, let's say that your maintenance calories are 2100 per day and you want to eat 1600 to "burn a pound of fat per week". If you run 10 miles and eat your usual 1600 calories, you will be running a 2000 calorie deficit for the day, which is pretty unhealthy in my opinion.

This was really my question. I want to make sure I'm losing those last baby pounds safely and not eating too little once my exercise is taken into account.

I also love my food tracker app because I like having cold hard numbers. I'm terrible at guessing portion size and know myself well enough to know that if I use an app I am far more likely to reach my goal than if I don't, regardless of if I am eating well in all other regards.
emando2000
AG
Agree to a certain extent. Not everyone has the knowledge of what is healthy...even people that are older than 5th graders. I work with people that say their diet is good and think they look good. Then they spend a few months with us and we push diet changes. There is a lot of pushback but they start seeing the differences in the people that do hone in on their diet and want to get on board. Their workouts produce results but it's the diet that is the difference maker. Some eventually get on board and are shocked at their results.

This is gonna get harsh but I believe it's the truth. People have forgotten what being fit looks like. I heard someone say something to the effect of..."People don't know what fat or fit looks like anymore. What people think a fat person looks like is technically obese and what we view of an obese person is actually morbidly obese." The comment was a bit harsh but it's kiiiinda the truth. I'm not saying everyone should look like the guy/gal on the front of a magazine but's achievable.
emando2000
AG
Seven Costanza said:

emando2000 said:

Seven Costanza said:

It all depends on your goals and what everyone is doing. I get your extreme example but let's be realistic. I highly doubt the majority of people trying to lose weight are running 10 miles a day. If you're trying to lose weight, don't add the calories burned back into your diet. It'll take a long time to get to your goals. Assuming no medical conditions it's safe enough (but no lower) for an individual to run at 1000-1200 cals/day for women & 1400 cals/day for men if you're targeting weight loss. I did this about a month ago for 2 weeks & am doing it now for 2 weeks. In between now and then I was dieting at 1800 cal's/day. I would just make sure you're taking a multivitamin and a few supplements like potassium and magnesium if you're not getting enough in your food. I should be at my target BF% after this go around and will increase to 1800 for a couple of weeks and then increase again. 1000-1400 cals/day is enough food if you're eating quality food. Your body and hunger adapts. 1400 calories was a bit tough initially, now 1800 calories of quality food feels like a lot! 2000 calories of quality food is tough nowadays. If you're eating whataburger, 1200 cals is practically anything combo on their menu.

Figure out your maintenance calories and set your goal. If you don't know what it is, simply add a 0 to your current weight to get a rough estimate. From there eat at a caloric deficit and work out. If you want to expedite the fat loss, don't eat to make up for the calories burned. If you want to drag on the process for months, then add the calories back in. Running at a caloric deficit of 300 calories a day will yield 1 lb of fat in almost 2 weeks or about 2.5 lbs in a month. For me, I'd rather not eat back in all the calories burned. You have to keep in mind that not everyone is gonna workout everyday. 500 caloric deficit yields more like 4.5 lbs in a month.

Either way, you're gonna see results. I do get what everyone is saying about simply eating actual healthy food. You'll get results by taking out sodas, fast food, sweets, etc. But if you're really trying to lose weight, don't add back in the calories burned.
Seven Costanza
AG
That's fine and you will certainly lose weight faster because you are burning more calories than your goal deficit. But your plan is to have a 500 calorie deficit on days you don't work out and a "I really have no idea, but something more than 500 calories" deficit on days you do work out. I feel that most people that are counting calories would want to know their actual daily deficit. It's especially important if you're already in good shape with a relatively low bodyfat percentage and looking to preserve as much muscle as possible while shedding fat.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.