Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Hoosegow, need some box squat help!

875 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
RightWingConspirator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoosegow,

You've helped me in the past and I'm hoping you won't mind one more time. I've slowly worked my squat up to about 215 (yes, it's pathetic, I know). I was cursed with my mother's skinny legs, but I'm trying.

The other day I had my daughter film me while I did my box squats. I noticed that the bar does not intersect the middle of my foot when I'm on the box. It's behind my heels. I tried to adjust my position, but the only way I can get the bar to intersect my foot is lean forward. This feels weird to me as well as flies in the face of conventional wisdom to keep your chest up.

How do I fix this issue? Are some body types allowed certain exceptions, or is proper form the same across all body types?

Here are some of the other things that you might find relevant:

I use a low-bar technique across my back.
I drop to parallel or just below parallel while on the box.

As always, your help is much appreciated.
Hoosegow
To have the perfect technique you need the perfect body. Don't sweat it too much.

From what you are describing, think about your technique and body mechanics. A low bar wants to push you forward. If it is pushing you forward and you are trying to keep your chest up, where will the bar end up in relation to your heels? Raise it up and think about sitting back.
Class of '94
RightWingConspirator
AG
So your recommendation is to not do low back but rather have the bar across my traps?
Hoosegow
My recommendation is to try it and re-evaluate
Class of '94
RightWingConspirator
AG
Hoosegow,

I'll try that. Last time I sent you a video of it. Would you mind taking another look for form advice if I took another video?
Hoosegow
No problem. Let me know when you send it so I can remember to look
Class of '94
bigtruckguy3500
Hey, Hoosegow, mind taking a look at my squat as well?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2nnapOhLM7ENlA0bnJFQVZkWG8/view?usp=sharing
Hoosegow
This is what I see from the angle of the camera. First, you have no issue with depth.

It appears you good morning the squat first. Instead, think about sitting back first.

Second, to me it appears your stance is awfully narrow.

Third, it looks like your head is too far back. I'd get it a little more neutral.

Knees don't look bad. Doesn't appear to be a butt wink. You hinge out of the hole (not good). So you come up, watch your butt how it stall. You lean forward and then you complete your lift.

From what I see, I'd suggest box squatting (imagine that), but widen your stance, sit back - not good morning, and then concentrate on coming straight up with more of a neutral head position.

It's not a bad squat but looking at it if you don't change you risk hurting your back if you get close to max work.

Or I'm full of crap. That's just what I see
Class of '94
bigtruckguy3500
Thanks, I can see what you're saying on most of it. My feet are just a little wider than shoulder width, not sure if that's too narrow, or the camera make it look narrower than that?

I think whenever I'm in front of a mirror I do tend to look up more instead of neutral.

I'll try dropping the weight a bit and focusing on the things you suggested. Thanks for the help.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.