Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

South Texas Folks

2,584 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by c-jags
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just took a new gig at work, and I'll be traveling between Austin, San Antonio, and the valley quite a bit. I know SA fairly well for running, trails, mtb. However, is there anything down south? I'll usually be in McAllen, with trips to Brownsville and occasionally Laredo. From some quick googling, doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot in the way of trails, other than Mission Trails.

Any suggestions? I'll even take road running over the hotel treadmill. I would also like to not get shot, so there's that.

Sometimes I'll drive down, sometimes I'll fly. Anything in between SA and the valley that i can stop through if I'm driving?
Hoosegow
If no one answers in a while, I have a friend who has done a couple of Ironmans that live on Delta Lake. I'll give him a call and ask
Class of '94
AggieOO
appreciate it. guessing there's not much down that way, but figured i'd ask.
Potcake
AG
If you ever stay in Harlingen, there is a trail that runs along the Arroyo Colorado for a bit. We used to go to Laredo and stay at La Posada but I only ran around the little park by the mall and downtown. Not very stimulating. For San Antonio, if you run early enough, the Riverwalk is basically empty and you can venture into the King William neighborhood.
Swarely
Really the only other one is the 2nd Street Running trail if you're looking for mileage. Don't run on the road down there.

The only other thing is you could run on the canals. But, there's always a chance something could happen to you doing that.
Matsui
AG
Was going to suggest the 2nd street running trail. Idk of much that way

And highly agree with the notion don't run on the road. Between the Mexican nationals and the retirees from the Midwest you are taking your life for granted! Stay on sidewalks.

It is going to be hell in the summer to run down there at any time.
Hoosegow
My friend recommended the Bicentennial Trail in McAllen from Business 83 to Trenton - 6 miles.
Class of '94
wangus12
AG
Work as an coyote leading illegals across the border. Probably be pretty solid interval training. Some cross training once they get the wall built
Walter Kovacs
AG
Valley native here. I would leave the bikes at home for the most part unless you want to hook up with a local group. The mtn bike wont be needed at all. Running on the actual road is somewhere between leisurely stroll and death wish depending on the city. There are plenty of countryish routes but something I can't over emphasize is how many stray or loose dogs there are in the valley. They are everywhere.

Your best bet for trails isn't actually Mission Trails. Take advantage of all the nature centers and state park type places. Many of them have miles of loops that usually only have birders on them. Many are unpaved. Most aren't hill country scenic but they aren't bad. Laguna atascosa, Santa Anna, estero llano, Ramsey park, anzalduas, resaca de la Palma, and a few others I can't remember.
AggieOO
Appreciate the input. I'll do some research based on suggestions. Have a feeling I'll have to do some treadmill running if meetings run late.

Any good/decent tracks in the McAllen area open to the public?
Swarely
McHi's track used to be. But I'm not sure anymore.
Whitetail
AG
Run on the beach.
c-jags
Valley is the one area I don't look for outdoor runs. It's miserable down there. I've done a few SPI runs. They were muggy but fun.

They also are the only area of the state without anytime fitness gyms.
AgPediRPh
AG
There's a long bike/running trail at the Brownsville Event Center. I did a 10K there once, but I believe you can make it 14-15 miles if you do an out and back.

When I visit my family in Port Isabel, I run 2 loops around Laguna Vista. Unfortunately, that only gets me 6 miles.
c-jags
AggieOO said:

Just took a new gig at work, and I'll be traveling between Austin, San Antonio, and the valley quite a bit. I know SA fairly well for running, trails, mtb. However, is there anything down south? I'll usually be in McAllen, with trips to Brownsville and occasionally Laredo. From some quick googling, doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot in the way of trails, other than Mission Trails.

due to some recent trail runs and enjoying them more, i recant my previous statement.

i ran the mission trails last night and this morning. i actually really enjoyed them, enough to head from my hotel there and back and back again. seems like you could take 100 different trails to mix it up. i ran out of light last night and didn't want to get lost, but this morning was a lot of fun. sand paths were easy on the ankles and knees.

i was a little nervous headed out there because it was looking like i was getting pretty darn close to the border, but when i pulled up there were over 40 cars in the lot with hikers, runners, bikers and walkers. i felt very safe the entire run.

i'm going to run the Edinburg Municipal park or the Bird watcher trail and i'll report back.
AggieOO
Appreciate the update. I've only been down to McAllen once so far and stuck with the treadmill, as it was brutally hot. Looking forward to hitting mission trails.
AggieOC
AG
Mission Native here.... so I will be a little bias to the Mission Bike trails as you can bike or run out there. There is another bike trail out west past La Joya that you can check out and further west just past Rio Grande City off Hospital Road is another bike trail. As far as running you can not go wrong with the 2nd St trails. If your wanting to do a road bike ride look up Wally's Bicycle Shop off McColl in McAllen they ride weekly.
c-jags
AggieOO said:

Appreciate the update. I've only been down to McAllen once so far and stuck with the treadmill, as it was brutally hot. Looking forward to hitting mission trails.

I ran at 8 last night and 6:30 this morning to avoid it. Humidity this morning killed my breathing. My legs were good for another mile or 2 but my lungs were on fire and I was drenched.
Cancelled
AG
I doubt there is anything in Laredo. If there were, I dont think it'd be very safe. People down there don't run.
Hoosegow
The university area is nice
Class of '94
c-jags
AggieOO said:

Did Edinburg today. It was alright. I mainly ran in the nature preserve and the "wetlands" (The wetlands is a 1ish mile lap around a lake.) the nature reserve was kinda cool but way too small for any sort of run. I did however see foxes, raccoons, lots of birds and a sign that said snake habitat that I stayed the hell away from.

The municipal park that it ties to was a big loop and not anything exciting. I'd do it again over treadmill in the hotel though

One thing I'll say about the valley is that there are a lot of runners. If you drive by any park in the mornings or after work, they are packed with tons of people. Makes me feel way safer. I applaud them.
AggieOO
Ran mission trail tonight. It's a nice little set of trails!
AggieOO
Walter Kovacs said:

Valley native here. I would leave the bikes at home for the most part unless you want to hook up with a local group. The mtn bike wont be needed at all.

This couldn't be more wrong. While running on the trails tonight, I found myself wanting my bike. It's a great set of fast trail. I don't drive down often, but when I do, the mountain bike will def be coming with me.
c-jags
AggieOO said:

Ran mission trail tonight. It's a nice little set of trails!

Glad you liked it man. Great little gem down there! I don't bike often but it seems like it would be a great trail. Did you stick to the road or veer off to the dirt trail?

I'm going to do the McAllen 2nd street next visit.
AggieOO
ran as much dirt as i could while staying close to the pavement. Dirt > pavement. Took the pavement back to scope out the north side. Once i got back to the hotel, i took a look at the strava data and the satellite imagery to see exactly how much trail is out there.

I'll head back out tomorrow evening to explore more trail.

I'm down here every 2-3 weeks. Not sure how runnable those trails will be in the summer, but I was surprised at how much tree cover there was. I was expecting it to be largely exposed trail.
c-jags
Cool.

I took the first right on dirt and followed that all the way through for a 2 mile path that kept me on dirt for a while. Hit the road and a one mile road back. I can send an ID number to look at the flyby if interested.

Came out to a 5k but was pretty sucky due to humidity.

AggieOO
i appreciate it, but i'll just go out and explore. Kind of like "getting lost" and just wandering.

I got in 6 miles today with no problem and it doesn't look like i hit much of the trail at all other than what pretty much parallels the pavement.
c-jags
no problem. i just estalked you on the texags group. you went way further than i did. i get pretty bound by not getting to hotels till 6 or 7 and early sunsets ruin that.

have fun getting lost.
AggieOO
i got in at 4:30 today and don't have any meetings until tomorrow, so had plenty of time. Would have run farther, but have a race saturday.

My last meeting tomorrow ends at 3p, so should have plenty of time tomorrow. My boss flies in Wednesday morning, so not expecting to be able to get out wed night b/c she'll want to go to dinner after meetings. I fly back to austin on thurs afternoon.

You think the other parks are worth exploring? I'm like 2 exits from mission trails, so its super close. Probably wouldn't check any out on this trip, but at some point.
c-jags
I've only done Edinburg municipal park and it was OK. wouldn't go there over Mission unless I'm staying there.

I'll be back in early October and try McAllen 2nd street and let you know.
c-jags
Aggie00,

Any chance you're in valley this week? i have 3 days down there to hit some trails.
AggieOO
I'm flying down tomorrow. Schedule will be a little weird though since I'm down for a conference and my boss will be there. Normally, I set my own schedule.

I fly out thursday evening, but definitely need to fit in some running.
c-jags
i'm coming in tomorrow and out Thursday as well, but have some free time Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

if that's awkward or anything, no worries. just figured it'd be fun to do it with somebody else.

ETA: wait a damn minute. i'm down there for a conference as well. Technology related?
AggieOO
Region one Cyber security conference.
c-jags
that's where i will be as well good sir.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.