Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Tonsillectomy weight loss

735 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Absolute
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy guys,

I had my tonsils removed on Thursday, along with my uvula trimmed, and my nose roto rooted. Because of this I am severally limited on what I can eat and am at a huge calorie deficit. Already I'm down almost 4 lbs. I'm drinking tons of water so I know it isn't all dehydration. Everything I'm reading online says that it's not unusual to lose about 10-15 lbs during this time. My issue is that I would rather it be fat, not muscle. Or at least minimize muscle loss. I have been drinking protein shakes to try and keep protein levels up, but do y'all have any suggestions?
lawless89
Four pounds? I usually lose that every morning after I poop.
bigtruckguy3500
Ice cream, milk shakes with extra calories added from stuff like peanut butter or coconut oil. Keep it up with the protein shakes.
Swarely
Not taking in any solids really, so no poops to speak of for the most part. Therefore it's pretty easy to just see my weight fall.
Absolute
AG
Did the same a couple years ago.

You are almost through the worst part, but you won't really feel like eating real food for another couple weeks. Iirc around 14 days I could eat firmer stuff, but it just wasn't worth the irritation.

I ate a lot of scrambled eggs and soup. Lots of applesauce and apple juice too. For some reason apple juice felt better on my throat than pure water..

Hardnnot to loose muscle since you feel pretty crappy and that combined with the calorie deficit make you not want to do much. I lost around 12 lbs.

It does get better, but it takes pretty much the time they say. I seemed to notice jumps and plateaus I the way I felt at about 5 day intervals.

One thing that helped me a bit was the realization after a day or so that it was going to hurt at a 6or 7 all the time and when I swallowed something it would be a 9 or 10. Nothing I could do would change that, but I could make myself handle the 9 and 10s because I knew what to expect. Then the pain levels ramp down on the intervals mentioned above. I also felt a lot better when I got to the point that I could mix regular Tylenol doses in and reduce the hydrocodine dosage frequency. My doctor even allowed me to do limited advil, though you have to be careful because of bleeding concerns. Luckily I never had issues with bleeds. Definitely consult with your doctor before trying the though.

Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.