Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Lower leg/foot number after first week of running

1,268 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wee_ag
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(Title should read 'numbness')
I just started running again after years of lazy. Everything seems great except that my left shin all the way down to the top of my left foot are numb (calf and bottom of foot are fine). I ran at 10am and it's now 12:30am and they are still numb. I've read having your shoes too tight can cause the foot/toes to be numb after a run, but this seems a bit more worrisome since it's not just the foot and it's over 12 hours since the run (and only 2 miles at that).

Any ideas what this could be and is this anything to be concerned with?
aggiederelict
Could be a nerve entrapment. If it continues see someone about it. And someone will add compartment syndrome to the list before long. Be careful when looking that up.
aggiederelict
Where are you located?
wee_ag
AG
New York

I've gotten a little bit of feeling back in the toes but overall it's still numb
bigtruckguy3500
Do you have feeling kind of in the webspace area of your big toe and 2nd toe?
wee_ag
AG
Yes I have feeling there... On a side note, I've also been having a pain in the bottom of the same foot for a couple of weeks. Flares up when I wake up or after sitting for a while. Once I move around a bit it goes away and it doesn't bother me when I run. I think that is from when I broke one of the little bones in the ball of my foot and it didn't heal properly. Not sure if all that could be related. Guess I just need to get to the doctor soon.
aggiederelict
Any low back issues?
bigtruckguy3500
Sounds like your superficial peroneal nerve may be the culprit, or atleast part of the problem. Did you hit the outside part of your lower leg on anything, or wear anything tight or rested it against something for a prolonged period of time? Could be from driving and resting against the center console, or carrying a heavy bag that kept hitting that part of the leg. If you google superficial peroneal nerve dermatome you might see that the distribution matches with your symptoms.
wee_ag
AG
No lower back issues.

I checked out the superficial perineal nerve dermatome - that area is definitely what is numb. Is there any kind of treatment? Should I stop running for the time being?
aggiederelict
See a PT. Any history of bad ankle sprains on that side?
wee_ag
AG
Yes... weak ankles - I've had a number of bad sprains on both
aggiederelict
A thorough exam needs to be done to determine if you actually have a peripheral nerve entrapment issue. Nerve entrapment is usually a diagnosis of exclusion after other things have been ruled out.

To speak to your history of ankle sprains, the prevailing thought process about this would be an unstable ankle from repeated sprains can cause the fibular head (which is near the peroneal neve) to become displaced and stuck in not an ideal position thus bothering the peroneal nerve.

I have also seen those who are bow legged as well that have a lot of muscular hypertrophy along the muscles on the outside of the lower leg which can present like a entrapment. Those patients will get a nerve conduction velocity test and have it come back negative.

I would say it if continues to see someone about it and get some treatment on it.
wee_ag
AG
Thanks for the input... after 3 days of no running i have most of the feeling back in the leg. I'm going to try another day or two of running and see what happens. If it comes back I'll go see the doc that initially treated my foot.
wee_ag
AG
Ok, just an update for any following - went for another 2 mile run and noticed my left leg had a slight tingle to it while running. It's probably happened before but I didn't notice until I was looking for something. Leg is now numb again (not as bad as last week) but the foot is OK. Guess I'll stop the running until I see a doc - but I think I'll go back to P90X cardio and see how that treats me.
aggiederelict
Might be time to get it checked. Could you video yourself running on a treadmill and send it to me so I could check out your running form? I wonder if that is having any impact. A rear view and a side view would be ideal.
wee_ag
AG
aggiederelict said:

Might be time to get it checked. Could you video yourself running on a treadmill and send it to me so I could check out your running form? I wonder if that is having any impact. A rear view and a side view would be ideal.
Well that sounds horribly embarrassing... I'll try to hit the gym some point soon at like 3:00 in the morning and record myself. Really appreciate the help.
wee_ag
AG
Quick update - no video of me running yet, but I did the P90X Cardio workout yesterday in lieu of running. Though the workout destroyed me, the leg did much better, just a slight numbness that I think was the remnant of running.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.