Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

TriWaco 2017

661 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gd28
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone doing the olympic or sprint distance? Any past competitors that have tips?
wcb
AG
It was my first sprint and first OLY. What distance you doing?

- Race morning you have to check your bike in from the Franklin Ave entrance to transition.
- If you're new to open water swimming do the supported practice swim Saturday.
- It will be hot. Keep tabs on your HR.
- Pace yourself on the OLY run. Hills miles 2-4 suck.
- Get a room at the Courtyard if they still have them. Literally caddie corner from transition.

Good luck!
Phat32
AG
Doing the olympic (first one). We are staying at Courtyard so that works out great.

I'm new to OWS so I'm always up for more practice. Will probably do a little bit of the Saturday clinic.
wcb
AG
Well how'd it go?
gd28
AG
Hot AF and good lord those hills...otherwise a great event
wcb
AG
wcb said:

It was my first sprint and first OLY. What distance you doing?

- Race morning you have to check your bike in from the Franklin Ave entrance to transition.
- If you're new to open water swimming do the supported practice swim Saturday.
- It will be hot. Keep tabs on your HR.
- Pace yourself on the OLY run. Hills miles 2-4 suck.
- Get a room at the Courtyard if they still have them. Literally caddie corner from transition.

Good luck!
You were warned...
Phat32
AG
gd28 said:

Hot AF and good lord those hills...otherwise a great event
My first oly and the swim housed me. Had a big bag of nothing on the bike & the run.

I will say it's incomprehensible why they start the olympic after the sprint - I finished around 11AM and it was a heat index of 104.

Otherwise happy just to finish!
wcb
AG
My first OLY was there - closest to death I've ever felt. Literally crossed the finish line and went and lay in the grass for like 30 minutes.

Kudos for finishing. It's not an easy race.
gd28
AG
I was pretty disappointed w/ my swim time at first but then I realized everyone I train with was 4-5 min slower than normal. The course didn't appear to be long so I think the current definitely had some effect. I didn't notice it during the race but it looks like there was a ~30-40s/100 difference in my pace from downstream to upstream...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.