Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Gopro capturing a car hitting a cyclist

5,213 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
FreeLunch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

It would be interesting to see what you guys think...

The Pilot
AG
They've caught the guy. Hope they put him in jail.

Not a cyclist but is it becoming more common for people to ride with cameras?
Ragoo
AG
Holy crap. Why weren't the cyclists single file though?
aggie7911
Why do cyclists risk it like that.?.I don't trust fellow motorists when I am in car....

Glad the cyclist is ok.
Endo Ag
AG
Ragoo said:

Allegedly on a park road that encourages riding 2 wide.
chipotle
bicyclist don't belong on the 40+ mph roads

The Pilot
AG
chipotle said:

The Natchez Trace Parkway is a designated bicycle route.

Try harder if you're gonna come on here and troll.
MooreTrucker
AG
chipotle said:

unless there's no alternative. The roads belong to me too.
90 bull
AG
Happened right by me here in Franklin , TN. A lot of he said he said stuff. The guy riding with the guy hit said it was on purpose. The driver says no. I just know it's a crappy road map o be hit on.
bigtruckguy3500
Thought for a second the driver might've not realized he clipped him, but you can see that he swerves back a little after making contact.

Seems kinda dumb to me to ride two wide like that. If that's what the rules say that's another issue, but I was always taught squeeze as far right as possible (within reason), because people are idiots. Then again, if you're far enough right, they may think they can just squeeze past without even attempting to move left a little and clip you.
88planoAg
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Then again, if you're far enough right, they may think they can just squeeze past without even attempting to move left a little and clip you.
This is exactly why on some roads and for some circumstances it is better to claim a lane.
CrockerAg98
AG
I've ridden plenty on the Trace, and A) you don't get a lot of traffic, and B) that traffic can't go anywhere in a hurry. It's a scenic route, a designated bike route, and signiage all over pointing out that bikes get a whole lane.

Hope they throw the book at the guy.
yestoast
Two wide riding may be encouraged/allowed; but I still don't understand benign compliance of rules trumping self preservation.
AggieOO
yestoast said:

Two wide riding may be encouraged/allowed; but I still don't understand benign compliance of rules trumping self preservation.

Quote:

Quote:

bigtruckguy3500 said:
Then again, if you're far enough right, they may think they can just squeeze past without even attempting to move left a little and clip you.
This is exactly why on some roads and for some circumstances it is better to claim a lane.
txags92
AG
CrockerAg98 said:

I've ridden plenty on the Trace, and A) you don't get a lot of traffic, and B) that traffic can't go anywhere in a hurry. It's a scenic route, a designated bike route, and signiage all over pointing out that bikes get a whole lane.

Hope they throw the book at the guy.
I hope so too...if it happened in Texas, the driver would probably not even face charges.
Whitetail
AG
My guess it is a woman driver and it was unintentional. Very unfortunate and dangerous.

Some people think that think their head is positioned in the center of the car. I've ridden with people that hug the right line, and they think the car is properly in the lane.
The Pilot
AG
Whitetail said:

My guess it is a woman driver and it was unintentional. Very unfortunate and dangerous.

Some people think that think their head is positioned in the center of the car. I've ridden with people that hug the right line, and they think the car is properly in the lane.
They've arrested the driver....................not a woman.
Whitetail
AG
The Pilot said:

Whitetail said:

They've arrested the driver....................not a woman.
Doh...throw the book at him!
yestoast
AggieOO said:

yestoast said:

Quote:

Quote:

bigtruckguy3500 said:

That didn't even cross my mind, appreciate the education. Blue starred.
Ragoo
AG
Endo Ag said:

Ragoo said:

Allegedly on a park road that encourages riding 2 wide.
https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/bicyclinghome.htm

says single file here
AggieChemist
AG
Dealt with an asshat cyclist today.

Preface: I ride a bike, so I'm sympathetic. But I also stay the F out of traffic whenever and however I can.

I was headed back home this morning from the gym, and came up on a road cyclist. I followed him for about 1/2 mile, as he was making decent speed (25 mph). He was unaware of my presence as I'd hung back 20-30 yards and he was wearing earbuds.

When we got to a long grade and he started to decelerate, I pulled over into the oncoming lane to pass, and he slid left to effectively the center of the road. I pulled up right behind him and tooted my horn two sharp short blows to let him know I was there and going around. He didn't hear/react/move at all. I tooted twice again, a little longer, and he saw me, slid over into the right lane, and made a grumpily dismissive gesture for me to go around... like he was doing me a favor, instead of me not turning him into road pizza with my 1500.

F that guy.
MooreTrucker
AG
AggieChemist said:

Dealt with an asshat cyclist today.

Preface: I ride a bike, so I'm sympathetic. But I also stay the F out of traffic whenever and however I can.

I was headed back home this morning from the gym, and came up on a road cyclist. I followed him for about 1/2 mile, as he was making decent speed (25 mph). He was unaware of my presence as I'd hung back 20-30 yards and he was wearing earbuds.

When we got to a long grade and he started to decelerate, I pulled over into the oncoming lane to pass, and he slid left to effectively the center of the road. I pulled up right behind him and tooted my horn two sharp short blows to let him know I was there and going around. He didn't hear/react/move at all. I tooted twice again, a little longer, and he saw me, slid over into the right lane, and made a grumpily dismissive gesture for me to go around... like he was doing me a favor, instead of me not turning him into road pizza with my 1500.

F that guy.
As a cyclist also, I will point out that the idiot should not have been riding with earbuds. That's a cardinal rule of cycling safety. And he should NEVER be in the center of the road unless he's passing an obstruction, hole, etc.

I hate guys like that because they make guys like me a target to the anti-cyclist crowds.
P.U.T.U
AG
Hugging the right side of the lane is not a smart way to ride, as mentioned people in cars will sometimes try to squeeze past you which endangers both of you. Don't ride in the middle unless you want to be a pancake and ruins someone else's life (lets face it most people cannot handle hitting another person in a car without it affecting them somehow).

Riding with headphones is asking to be hit, I have told guys trying to ride with me to pull them out or get away.

Let's face it when a lot of people get behind the wheel they do not see the person on a bike as a person, it is a bike with something propelling it. I know some people I would consider normal until they speak about cyclist, they say something along the lines of "they have no right to be on the road so (explicit) them". Plus with all the people on their phones even when seeing a bike.

I have said before to me it is no longer worth it unless you ride in BFE. I rode in Plano/Richardson a lot which gives cyclist their own lane but countless times I almost got hit or had offensive drivers. I love to do an early morning ride around nature with hills. Just too many stupid drivers out now.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I almost get hit enough in my car by idiots using cell phones. No way in hell would I risk my life on a bike out there on public roadways.
MooreTrucker
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Let's face it when a lot of people get behind the wheel they do not see the person on a bike as a person, it is a bike with something propelling it. I know some people I would consider normal until they speak about cyclist, they say something along the lines of "they have no right to be on the road so (explicit) them". Plus with all the people on their phones even when seeing a bike.

Such people are jackasses who shouldn't be allowed to drive.

How do you justify "no right"? I pay the same city/road taxes that you do. (Not addressing you, PUTU, but those that you mention).
P.U.T.U
AG
No worries, most people on here know I have ridden thousands of miles on the street and would continue if I felt it was safe.

There is no justification besides ignorance. Until you have seen someone die up close with their family right there shut your face. That rider is a father/mother/son/daughter.
FreeLunch
AG
There's plenty of internet tough guys out there. If you see the social media (facebook, websites, etc) feedback on this video it's crazy. I do believe there is a lot of ignorance out there. What I still wonder is:

1) I guess people really believe that cars have priority over bicycles, etc on a road? That bicycles or other forms of transportation aren't allowed on a road? I guess people that ride bikes don't pay taxes and aren't allowed on a public road? (By the way, I'm not talking about riding your bike down a highway here...)

2) The cyclist deserved to be hit? Or people take pleasure in someone getting injured, potentially killed.

3) Cyclists don't follow rules, so they deserve it. I guess all car drivers are perfect (stop at every light, don't text/drive, don't drink/drive, don't cause accidents with other drivers?). I'm sure there are plenty of cyclists that do dumb stuff with cars, but my guess is that percentage of cyclists would be less than the percentage of dumb drivers. I'm saying this because if a cyclist screws up with a car, the car will always win. Whereas, if you're in a car wreck, there's a decent chance that you walk away physically fine.
88planoAg
AG
I try to avoid reading comments to articles like these. People are ignorant, and I have to believe that some % are out right trolls. Doesn't make me eager to get out and ride for sure.
Seven Costanza
AG
You have to be a sick person to intentionally hit someone with your car.

But, expect everyone to hate you if you are going 20-30 mph below the speed limit on a busy road, regardless of your method of transportation.
Philip J Fry
AG
Why does it matter that they were 2 wide? If they were a car, the truck would have been been fully in the other lane passing them and this wouldn't be a issue.
Phat32
AG
Riding with earbuds is a fabulous way to die.

But at least you got that Pitbull jam to pump you up first.
MooreTrucker
AG
Seven Costanza said:

You have to be a sick person to intentionally hit someone with your car.

But, expect everyone to hate you if you are going 20-30 mph below the speed limit on a busy road, regardless of your method of transportation.
I expect people to be unhappy with me in that situation, and I feel bad and try to make myself as small and fast as possible, but if there was an alternate route I would take it. Sometimes there's no choice.

I certainly don't expect them to try to kill me, that's for sure.
AggieOO
I pretty much only ride on roads with wide shoulders or bike lanes. I'm luck that Austin has plenty of them, and one that is basically out my back door. it doesn't mitigate risk, but it sure minimizes it. I occasionally ride with friends in Houston, and it SUCKS. You are basically IN traffic. I forget how good we have it here sometimes.
88planoAg
AG
How is the new bike bridge?
AggieOO
I'm up north, so haven't used it yet. I mostly ride Parmer and other northern roads/routes.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.