Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cancer and radiation

4,525 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oogway
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Just asking questions here, but as some of you know, I had robotic cancer surgery in Oct 2015 (Prostate). Well, one thing leads to another and my PSA starts to rise, so my doctor is now telling me that I have to undergo radiation treatment. Later this AM, I am visiting the doctors that will be performing the procedure to get my body mapped out. I'm being told that I will have to be treated everyday for five weeks to eradicate (I hope) the cancer. Anybody else ever experience this? I'm being told by others that there is minor discomfort and that the procedure takes maybe 5-10 mins daily. I'm also being told that my daily routine should not change, that I can continue to workout, etc, etc, etc.

Anybody else experience this?

AA
RockOn
I did not have to do radiation so I can't speak directly to your question. I would suggest reaching out to a prostate cancer specific forum. I spent hours/days on a testicular cancer specific website/forum when i went though it, and it was tremoundously helpful.

Wish you all the best!
07fta07
AG
Dad had it recently, not for prostate (brain), but he was able to keep up his daily routine with no issues (run, workout, yard work, whatever he wanted).
Bassmaster
AG
That sounds about right. My wife is a Radiation Therapist (the person who actually administers the radiation treatments to patients) at MD Anderson and most of her patients carry on as normal during treatment.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
monarch
S
Interesting meeting earlier today. Had my body mapped out and have lines drawn all over my lower waist and also had three pin points made in the same area. Nurse put a clear, plastic, circular what looks like a band-aid over each pin point and said rather gruffly, "...don't remove those under any circumstances." Yes ma'am!

First two treatment dates are Thurs 13th and Fri 14th.

Thanks for the comments BTW.

AA
Bassmaster
AG
Good luck!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Had radiation 8 years ago. Testicular cancer and after removing the offending nut via surgery, I was treated radiation daily for 4 weeks to ensure no spread to my abdomen. I was 35 at the time, but the other patients there were old dudes getting their prostates zapped (urology radiation oncology clinic). They'll use all of the markings to line you up perfectly on the table before zapping you. I worked the entire time without experiencing side effects other than a bit of occasional nausea.

The worst part IMO was what I call the candy dish of terror. It was this round lead box with a lid and a hole in the side. They'd put your scrote and dingus in it to prevent them from receiving radiation. You want to feel pain? Try having a bit of scrote skin accidentally get pinched when they put the lid on. Yikes.

But I've been cancer free ever since. Good luck with your treatment.
P.U.T.U
AG
Ask your doctor about IF, Dr. Dominic D'Agostino has been doing research on fasting and glucose based cancers (I have no idea if pancreatic cancer is glucose fueled or not) but the research says IF with chemo produces a synergistic effect.

Good luck
monarch
S
Thanks for the info Danny? You gotta be kidding me- I wasn't told that......OUCH!
Talon 07
I had it two years ago and like others have said, you can continue your normal routine.

The worst symptoms for me actually started after the radiation was over because my thigh (Where I was radiated) was still feeling the radiation. I had mild fatigue and during this time the slightest bump would cause about 5 minutes of intense pain. Not fun, but overall very mild compared to what others go through.

Best of luck, you got this!
Whens lunch
AG
I had the DaVinci robotic prostatectomy done in Sep '14, followed by radiation starting in Dec. Total of 35 sessions. The radiation sessions are quick..getting undressed, situated and dressed again probably takes more time. No pain or even discomfort involve with the treatments. Expect some side effects. Your bladder may get irritated, which to you only means you feel like you need to go more often. Also expect some diarrhea at some point. Seriously, the treatments themselves are a non-event.

Ask about long term effects such as the possibility of damage to the bone marrow in your hips. I have felt run down since the surgery, radiation and also hormone therapy. Naturally I assumed it was due to a combination of those things that just crapped me out. I recently had a check-up and my blood counts are all out of whack. Working with a hematologist/oncologist now and looking at the possibility of a bone marrow biopsy on the 21st.
monarch
S
Started treatment Thurs 20th AM; Easy Peezy really. I actually fell asleep on the table during the process. I'm sure things will get tougher down the road, but as of right now no big deal. Next treatment is today at noon and then in and on.
Peace for Ukraine!
OverSeas AG
AG
aznaggiegirl07
AG
There has been some research out there with cancer and keto based diets, since cancer cells use glucose as fuel

The research is sparse, but there is some positive stuff about it
Duncan Idaho
I had my lymph nodes zapped. So I got 2 or 3 spots on my back and chest that got it.

It took me longer to park than it did to get my treatments.

But the nausea was unbearable and the drugs they gave me didn't really work. I'd get up in the morning drive to the hospital, get my treatments, drive home go on about my day, then the next morning, puke, try to eat something, puke, go to sleep, puke, try to eat something, puke, go back to sleep, puke, get up. Go to my next treatment.
MarkW91
I am about two years complete for treatment of stage 3 rectal cancer at 45 y/o (47 now). Radiation/chemo first, then surgery, then more serious chemo, then another minor surgery. I worked out through all of it, other than the weeks after the surgery (which was major invasive through the abdomen). Specifics as to radiation: yes, it's a quick hit every day; at first you don't notice anything, other than maybe being tired or in some people a little nausea. As it goes on a couple of weeks, the burning sensation starts internally (wherever it is being focused). Given the location of my tumor, that made me walk around a bit slower and it became painful when I had to use the facilities. I don't know if prostate will have the same feeling, though I assume it will. In essence it is burning the tumor down from the inside. When the burning sensation hits, it sucks, but it works - - by the time of my surgery, my tumor was substantially reduced.

That said, I could still get to the gym every day and work out. I was slower on cardio because of the burning sensation internally. The burning actually lasts for 2-3 weeks after radiation, as it's still doing it's thing inside of you, and the burning part slowly works out towards the exterior where your skin becomes like a deep sunburn and in bad shape. But, through all of it you can work out AND you'll get through it. You just have to take it slow. I personally stayed focused on lifting heavy because I knew this whole process had the risk of making me lose weight, and I wanted to stay strong. In the end, I'm back to regular weight and full strength.

I wish you all the best. My wife and kids were awesome in encouraging me through it, including presenting me with maroon "BTHO Cancer" shirts at the Alabama game two years ago. The whole experience put a new perspective on things for me, but I think the personality of discipline in getting to the gym, to work, to family events , and yes to Aggie football, kept me focused to just getting it done. Sounds like the same is true for you . Your five weeks doesn't sound long, and in reality it isn't, but it may feel unending while you're in it - - trust that you'll get through it and will be stronger and better on the other end. Prayers are with you from this Ag!
monarch
S
When's:

Where do you live and who performed the surgery? I live in Klein and had the same surgery performed by Steven Sukin at St Luke's on 242 & I-45 in The Woodlands. The Oncology group he is associated with is performing the radiation treatment.

AA
Peace for Ukraine!
Whens lunch
AG
I'm in S.A. Dr. Naveen Kella did the surgery. He was highly regarded. Radiation at Radiation Oncology S.A. Recommended by Kella due to their expertise in treating Prostate Cancer.

Was a Gleason 9 on the biopsy and a 10 from pathology post op. Almost 3 years later on Lupron with undetectable PSA.

Lupron will stop for me though...some odd side effects for me that might be contributed to this drug.

PM me if you want to pick my brain. I guess every case is different, but I'd be happy to help any way I can.
monarch
S
Yeah, I had a 5.6 PSA right before the surgery and my PSA right now has gone from 0.0, 0.0, 0.15, 0.16. 0.19 then 0.21 over eight months. My Gleason was seven at cancer discovery point. Coincidentally, my brother who is four years younger found out he had cancer about six weeks before I did. His Gleason was nine I believe, but his PSA was 5.6 like mine I believe. His treatment was done at UCLA Medical Center in SO-Cal but it was different than the norm: he had implants, but maybe two months after that date, he was changed over to radiation treatment. If anybody knows the area where they run the Long Beach Grand Prix near the Queen Mary, his office is in one of those buildings up on the bluffs behind the race course. His daily radiation routine was to drive from his house in Seal Beach (near Long Beach St) up to UCLA, get treated and then return to his office in Long Beach; 405 all the way up then 405 to 110 back to Long Beach. I think he had 28 treatments during this ordeal. Here's a funny; my wife and I went to London on 05/06/15. We had a 3:15 flight out of IAH non-stop on United. I took the day off, she taught her class and then left at 11:30 AM. Anyway, since I had time to kill, I had my Doc do a complete physical at 7:00 AM the same day. Took 3-4 hours. I drove home, met my wife and we went to IAH. No biggie. I remember my doc telling me the results would be in my hands before we returned. We get back, I pick up the mail at the post office, throw it on my desk for 3-4 days then finally open the envelope. On the fifth page of the report is my PSA- 5.6. My doc circles this in red and says : "you better get this checked!" and the rest is history as they say. On May 10, my wife and I are in our hotel room getting ready to go see some stuff at Trafalgar Sq and my laptop goes off with an email. It is 8:45 London time (AM) and I have an email from my brother telling everybody that he has prostate cancer (it is 12:45 AM in So-Cal). Ten days later I find out I have it.

Have been through two treatments now, and so far everything is cool.

Let me get back to you.

AA
Peace for Ukraine!
agz win
AG
Prayers for a quick and easy recovery, Monarch.
Aries
I work at a chemo infusion clinic & we give a lot of fluids for people on just radiation because they feel so crappy. Had a lady this week who got radiation 5 days a week, finished it all & felt like crap 2 days after her last treatment. So fatigued she could barely walk.

I don't say this to scare you but it will probably make you very tired as the treatment goes on. But the sessions are very quick.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Best wishes!
monarch
S
Today will be treatment #6 and I'm beginning to feel the "side effects." Stomach is messed up and I'm struggling to do three miles in the AM. I have backed off on some of my workout routine a little...I feel OK, but not the way I felt ten days ago. After treatment today, I have a weekly meeting with the doc and am going to bring some stuff up.
Peace for Ukraine!
monarch
S
The doctor says, "Don't worry Allen; I told you all of that was going to happen. You're doing fine."
Peace for Ukraine!
monarch
S
Ok so seven treatments in and I'm feeling some stomach discomfort when I wake up in the AM and seem to be tiring a tad in the afternoon. One day I shut my office door and took a 25 min nap and was ok.

Other than that no problems.
Peace for Ukraine!
aggieroughneck
AG
I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I'll add my two cents. I had testicular cancer in 2015 (age 30 at the time). I did two weeks of radiation in my periabdominal region after the orchiectomy and I am cautiously cancer free as of my last checkup in June.

I didn't feel anything until day 7-8 of therapy. I found ginger to be very helpful with the nausea when ondansetron didn't work towards the end of therapy. Alcohol-free ginger beer shut down my nausea really quickly.

One last thing...be sure to eat a lot of fiber and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Ondansetron can clog you up! Stool softeners are also safe for daily use, and aren't habit forming (cheap, too).

(Edit: I'll keep up with this thread to see how things are going)
Whens lunch
AG
if your Dr. didn't bring it up...look into soy isoflavones. My urologist and my radiation oncologist recommended them. I got them at GNC. Apparently they help in two ways..they help the radiations effectiveness on prostate cancer and they mitigate the radiation symptoms somewhat.

Good luck...again, I've been where you are, pm me if you want to pick my brain.
monarch
S
Radiation therapy update...

Completed treatment # 12 yesterday and am feeling better than earlier reported. The morning stomach issues that I experienced have subsided to a tolerable level and the tiredness that I felt at the beginning of the treatment protocol is tolerable also. I have throttled down my workouts to a schedule of lifting four days a week, spinning three days a week and running 2-3 days a week and I'm comfortable with that. My heart rate, pulse, etc are at the same levels or better now as they were when I started. I don't know if I could go out and run a respectable 5K, but that isn't the main point right now. The ONLY negative thing is the amount of water that I am now taking in on a daily basis: maybe 5-6 quarts a day. Of course, what goes in comes out and there in lies the problem: constant urination sure impacts your day. Staff at Texas Oncology tells me I am progressing better than most and they are pleased that I can still hold the workout schedule that I am doing, plus I am not taking any extended time off from work to get this accomplished (there are some people that dont know this is going on). In any event, so far so good. All I want to do is get this over with.

12 down, 27 to go!
Peace for Ukraine!
OverSeas AG
AG
aggieroughneck
AG
That's fantastic news. Continue to BTHO cancer!
Aries
Keep it up.
monarch
S
17 down, 22 to go!

Still having some early AM stomach issues, but those seem to come and go. Have adjusted my work out schedule downwards even though I ran two miles this afternoon in the heat, but overall I'm pleased with the way my body is reacting to everything. I even seem to be gaining some weight back. I
Peace for Ukraine!
Ranger1743
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

There has been some research out there with cancer and keto based diets, since cancer cells use glucose as fuel

The research is sparse, but there is some positive stuff about it

All cells use glucose as fuel. Not saying diet can't have an effect (it can), just saying.
monarch
S
22 down, 17 to go!

More than half way there! Outside of the stomach issues in the AM (which seem to be subsiding a tad), everything is going good. Dr says my body has adjusted to the radiation intake and the fact that I am still working out is helping me too.

I'm good to go as of this AM.

AA
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.