Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Need Advice

1,215 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ken Adams
theeyetest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm getting a little discouraged.

Today is day 56 for me. I've lost a total of 22 pounds. My clothes are fitting better and overall, I feel much better than I did just a short 8 weeks ago. However, I feel like I've hit a wall the last few weeks. I've actually put on a few pounds the last week. Nothing in my diet or workout schedule has changed, still eating in a deficit but not losing any weight! My wife commented last night that she can see a huge difference, but I can't!

I'm getting a little discouraged with this entire situation. I know it's all about the journey and I shouldn't focus too much on the scale. I guess I'm just ranting and need some advice on breaking through this plateau I'm experiencing right now.
Presley OBannons Sword
You're on day 56 and you're worried that you've plateaued in the last few weeks? You've only been working out for a few weeks.

Don't worry about it and just keep doing what you're doing.
hillcountryag86
AG
22 pounds in that timeframe is a lot. Hope you are doing it while maintaining healthy eating / exercising and not just 'crashing.'

I wouldn't get discouraged.
The Pilot
AG
you didn't become overweight in 8 weeks, can't expect to get back to your goal weight in 8 weeks.

you might eventually reach a true plateau, change things up then
theeyetest
hillcountryag86 said:

22 pounds in that timeframe is a lot. Hope you are doing it while maintaining healthy eating / exercising and not just 'crashing.'

Currently doing 30 minutes 3 days a week of HIIT (Rushfit by George St. Pierre) and 3 days of cardio, running right around 3 miles in 30 minutes 3 days a week as well.

My diet is IIFYM. I'm right around about 2,000 calories a day. I just don't understand why I haven't been losing the last two weeks. I've put on 2 pounds since starting IIFYM but my body comp. has changed. I'm just feeling a little discouraged this morning.
wbt5845
AG
It's easy and natural to get discouraged.

What's helped me is only weighing once a week. That way the day to day natural variations get washed out.

p.s. - saw your workout plan. It looks good. For weight loss, I'd run more - but each person needs to work that out themselves.
Presley OBannons Sword
gigemtrev said:

hillcountryag86 said:

Currently doing 30 minutes 3 days a week of HIIT (Rushfit by George St. Pierre) and 3 days of cardio, running right around 3 miles in 30 minutes 3 days a week as well.

My diet is IIFYM. I'm right around about 2,000 calories a day. I just don't understand why I haven't been losing the last two weeks. I've put on 2 pounds since starting IIFYM but my body comp. has changed. I'm just feeling a little discouraged this morning.
maybe because you've been drinking more water
maybe because you've been gaining muscle
maybe because you need a haircut

seriously, don't get on the scale so often. it is a prison. work out, eat right, and live healthy as a lifestyle, not as a program designed to get you from weight XYZ to weight ABC in timeframe 123. in fact, throw the scale away. if you're living healthy, it's essentially meaningless.
theeyetest
Presley OBannons Sword said:

gigemtrev said:

hillcountryag86 said:

maybe because you've been drinking more water
maybe because you've been gaining muscle
maybe because you need a haircut

seriously, don't get on the scale so often. it is a prison. work out, eat right, and live healthy as a lifestyle, not as a program designed to get you from weight XYZ to weight ABC in timeframe 123. in fact, throw the scale away. if you're living healthy, it's essentially meaningless.
This is really good advice. Thanks.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Take a picture from before you started and put it next to a picture of yourself now. I was blown away the first time I did this. When you see yourself every day you don't notice the changes nearly as much.
Diet Cokehead
AG
What is your current height and weight? 2000 might be a little high on the calorie side but you should still be losing. 22 lbs is pretty significant in 8 weeks. 10 lbs a month is about the most you can lose each month and that's not cheating at all. Are you tracking all food intake in MyFitnessPal or LoseIt?
shano0603
AG
You lost a lot of water weight. It should slow down. Losing 1 pound per week is standard.
theeyetest
Happy to say that I've broken the plateau I was on (even if that's what it was). Pulled my calories back by 250 per day. I'm now down another 8 pounds in 18 days.

Down 30 pounds since May 8th. Feel great, starting to get into good shape, and fitting into clothes I didn't even know I had anymore.
BlueSmoke
Keep an obsessively accurate food/sleep/workout journal. You can't manage what you don't measure. Everyone is different. Also helps with goal setting and discipline. Keep varrying your workouts. I switched completely away from "the gym" (back/bi's, chest/tri's) BS, and went to HIIT. Bodyweight. TRX straps. Kettlebells. Wanted to go leaner. Body responded almost immediately. I'll change it up in another 6 weeks. No magic bullet other than always be doing something.

I'm a big fan of Peter Attia MD. Check out his site. Good stuff
Ken Adams
AG
is your mood typically better? have more energy? better self confidence most days? maybe even sleep better?

sometimes working out and eating right has a lot more to do with your mental health, and not just the numbers on a scale.

No matter who you are, 100% of people on this board have their ups and downs. Heck, even reading your OP inspired me some and I consider myself as someone who's been trying to live healthy the majority of my life
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.