Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

What the Health

2,297 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieOO
PhatMack19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a new documentary on Netflix about how harmful a meat based diet is for you. I guess the sad part is when it shows that lobbyist run our country, but we already knew that.

Anyone seen it? Thoughts?

http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com
AggieOO
I'll be sure to make some steaks to eat while watching.
P.U.T.U
AG
Correlation does not imply causation. Example from their site is the below.

YourFavAggie
AG
I watched about half way through it and stopped watching. It seems more fear mongering than anything... either way I will continue to eat animals, and a lot of them
Eugene4x
AG
I stopped eating meat 4 to 5 days a week. Not because there is anything wrong with it, it's just too good.

I became a weekend BBQ competition head cook and we make dam good food...then I eat too much of it.

So I just took it out of my regular diet. Save it for good times. Also...lost like 30 more lbs since the diet adjustment.
AggieGunslinger
AG
People who ride in automobiles are 100x more likely to die in car crashes than those that never get in a car.

See how statistics work.
bmks270
AG
Does the documentary define a "meat based diet?"

100% meat? 80, 50, 10%...
bigtruckguy3500
Nutrition research is extremely difficult and expensive to conduct. You've always got to take anything with a grain of salt and look at the methods. That being said, I think if you take the average american and switched their diet from whatever meat heavy diet they're on now to a plant based diet, they will likely get healthier. Is it from the plants themselvse? the increased fiber means they eat fewer calories? The increase in the quality of their carb intake? More micronutrients? Less protein? Less dietary cholesterol and more plant based sterols? I have no clue.

I do think a balanced diet is good either way, but I think it's easier to eat an unbalanced meat heavy diet than it is to eat an unbalanced plant based diet.
Aggie Oilman
Eskimos were studied and researches expected them to be unhealthy based on their meat only diet since nothing grows in the Arctic. They found it was quite the opposite. They were actually very healthy people overall and lived longer lives than most.
PhatMack19
AG
I'm 37 and pretty active, but I could stand to lose 30lbs or so. I have GERD that keeps me up a lot at night. I end up tossing and turning all night and sleeping in the other room or propped up on the couch. If I eat certain foods or later at night, then I'm up all night miserable.

I'm trying to find a way to manage my reflux without popping a bunch of pills everyday. I like food too much to go vegan, but I'm willing to try anything right now. Yesterday was probably the 1st day in my life that I didn't eat meat and I slept great. I'm going to try to do it for a week and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll drop some weight in the process.
AggieOO
i'm eating a bag of beef jerky while reading this thread.
Rudyjax
AG
People who only eat plant based diet are also more likely to exercise more.

And eat less processed foods.

I'd wager processed foods has more to do with it than meat.
The Pilot
AG
#teambeef
AgEng06
AG
The Pilot said:

#teambeef
#teammeat

Wait...err...
AggieOO
Unthought Known said:

when i lived in brooklyn, every day i saw a ****load of fat, nasty, smelly hipsters preaching the benefits of vegetarian/vegan lifestyles when I'd be on my run to the Williamsburg Bridge or over to McCarren Park Track.
Rudyjax
AG
AggieOO said:

Unthought Known said:

when i lived in brooklyn, every day i saw a ****load of fat, nasty, smelly hipsters preaching the benefits of vegetarian/vegan lifestyles when I'd be on my run to the Williamsburg Bridge or over to McCarren Park Track.

Your Anecdotal doesn't trump my anecdotal evidence. Sorry.
AggieOO
Unthought Known said:

AggieOO said:

Unthought Known said:

Your Anecdotal doesn't trump my anecdotal evidence. Sorry.
never said it did. it was just a comment.
Rudyjax
AG
I know you didn't. It was a joke.
AggieOO
ack...i was on a work phone call and didn't read the second "anecdotal" evidence.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.